What's new

Trials specific exercises

Yinzer Moto

Member Number
Does anyone have any specific exercises for trials. After a long winter off the bike, I am finding muscles that are in need of a tune up.

What do you do? I am looking to build strength for safe riding, so I can jump off the bike and control the bike when things get a bit out of hand. When things all go to plan on a trials bike, not much strength is needed. Although, I am finding the need for a little tune up to the explosive leg strength for rear wheel hopping.

Does anyone have any specific exercises for trials. After a long winter off the bike, I am finding muscles that are in need of a tune up.

What do you do? I am looking to build strength for safe riding, so I can jump off the bike and control the bike when things get a bit out of hand. When things all go to plan on a trials bike, not much strength is needed. Although, I am finding the need for a little tune up to the explosive leg strength for rear wheel hopping.
Check out what some of the Team Norway Trial does:

As far as explosive leg strength: box jumps

Last edited:
Yeah, just try standing on the weight balls; that's hard enough!

I should also mention, my physical therapy ended the other day, I am nowhere close to how I was feeling before surgery, so I got a personal trainer to help. My first session with the PT is tomorrow. I just sent him that IG page.

Deadlifts are good for leg strength but not necessarily for the explosiveness. That's where box jumps come in. You can also do these with a weighted vest, just be wary of the impact and your form. Core strength is key.
Along with standard box jumps, you can also jump sideways and at an angle to simulate being on the bike. I've also used a bar with hands at handlebar width apart whilst jumping to continue the simulation.

I bought a set of kettlebells after reading a really early article in On The Pegs on the all around benefits from them. I then also bought a book Simple and Sinister that describes the super simple exercises available with them.

I must admit to not using them enough, but after a work friend extolled the benefits independently I am motivated. Basically by using them you get aerobic workout, strength and explosiveness that trials requires and it is a whole body workout. Plus you can take them with you as you travel in the van.

In addition I am told that yoga, while boring for many, has untold benefits. My wife has made amazing progress in her recovery after joining in yoga at the gym. She's stronger, more flexible and less prone to injury. The mindfulness breathing helps too.

Upright rows with free weights and/or a Smith machine help and simulate pulling on the bars.
Whether cycling, running or motorcycles, IMO the ideal indoor/gym exercises are those that best simulate your chosen sport/endeavor.

Should we lump Pre-Ride Stretches in here too or start a new thread?

I feel like I'm the only one who makes a concerted effort to stretch for 5-10 minutes before I ride. Hell, at the last event someone walked up to me and asked if I was broken. :imaposer

I think stretching is super important, either before ride, after ride, or between rides. I'll be the first to admit I do not do it nearly enough, but when I do it regularly I am less tired, less muscle soreness after an event and I would presume less injuries too (though that could just be correlation, not causation).

My favorite stretches are hamstrings, calves, glutes all when laying down, and then a variety of shoulder and wrist stretches. The one that I never do due to its risk for lower back injuries is toe touches or anything that rounds my back.

Pre-exercise stretches are important but keep them "dynamic"; Don't hold the stretches longer than just a few seconds. Holding a stretch on cold muscles is like stretching a cold rubber band: the rubber band can snap easily. Stretching cold muscles can actually damage muscle fibers. Dynamic exercises (arm swings, leg swings, jumping jacks, shallow squats, shaking out arms/hands, etc.) warm the muscles up before activity. You can also ride a few minutes over smaller obstacles and perform turns prior to doing a more aggressive stretching routine.

The personal trainer at the gym has been good. Just having someone there, to push me. Really simple, old school exercises seem to be effective. In a few weeks, I may have a good handle on things and how to progress On my own.

Just a personal anecdote - but like Mike mentioned upthread, rowing is great trials exercise. It's great for grip strength, legs and lower back - all things that are useful for trials.

And, it's all more working endurance than strength - which is exactly what I needed.

I run on an elliptical in the winter too. It does a better job for heart and lungs cardio - but little for anything other than my legs.

I use a YouTube program right now that is kicking my ass.
PHIIT bt Kari Pearce. Level one, which I'm doing is all body weight movements (level 2 adds in dumbells). Each day is only a 10 minute workout. But I do 10 to 20 minutes on the treadmill first. I think interval training is great for what we do, it jacks my cardio and respiratory and keeps it there.

Then after that I use a foam roller to stretch the muscles.

This is my new training program...

i-dWwkxzB-XL.jpg

Back
Top Bottom