What's new

Trials technique, tools, tips and tricks

fprintf

Trials Rider
Member Number
You can clean a spark plug instead of just throwing it away. Be gentle. Use either an engine degreaser, brakeclean or carb cleaner. Let it soak for a minute and then use a toothbrush. If you need to be more aggressive you can use a steel brush.

If you have the modern gas cans with the hard to operate safety valves you can buy air vents and hoses on Amazon and adapt them. They also sell old school flexible hose caps. If you have the No-Spill variety you can simply use a utility knife to cut away the little tab on the handle so you don't need to use the ratchet on the cap - which you can either cut off or leave alone. In addition if you really want you can simply pull the mesh flame attenuator inside the can so it is easier to fill - though you may have issues if you like to use your gas can to start fires or something, and maybe they are illegal in drought protected forest areas? No such issues here. (Bring back Blitz cans!)

Having trouble getting your skid plate back on after it has been bashed a few times? Use the weight of the bike to help hold it in place by putting it on your motorcycle stand. You can also use wood working clamps (the kind you squeeze with your hand to tighten them) to wedge things held into place while you fiddle with getting the bolt back in.

Looking for a cheap oil drain pan? Go to Home Depot and look for the least expensive Sterilite container. I found a 6 quart one yesterday with a lid for $1.78. Much cheaper than a regular oil pan, so I bought two... one for oil and one for other fluids like coolant and brake fluid. And they got labeled with a Sharpie.

Funnels come in all shapes and sizes. Sometimes it is hard to know when your fuel is nearing the top. Cut the narrow end of the funnel down so that it just fits in your fuel tank opening by a centimeter or two. This way you can see the level of the fuel as it rises, less surprises that way.

New bike in a can is the best freaking bike shiner-upper EVER! Keep it away from your brakes and controls.

1647540914752.png

1647540980627.png

Big, cheap syringes from Amazon are great for both pre-mixing and gearcase oil changes. No muss, no fuss - and in the case of gearcase oil changes no need for a funnel.

For 1-2 gallons of pre-mix: 60ml works great for everything from 80:1 to 130:1

Gearcase: 500ml will fill anything up I'm familiar with.

Big, cheap syringes from Amazon are great for both pre-mixing and gearcase oil changes. No muss, no fuss - and in the case of gearcase oil changes no need for a funnel.

Whoa, this might be a game changer for me! I've been using a big pyrex measuring cup/bowl. But a 500ml syringe just might be the ticket. edit: they aren't cheap, about $15 on Amazon. I did find them as inexpensive as $8 on WalMart.com.

Any recommendations? If I had access to a vet supply this might be a less expensive alternative.

Last edited:

For 1-2 gallons of pre-mix: 60ml works great for everything from 80:1 to 130:1

You must have a Vertigo the 130 to 1 still bothers me when I mix it up just doesn't seem right .

I love SC1 it is a great product but I think you need some stickers on that Beta !
They were all peeling and gross when I bought it so I stripped her down. I liked it naked, but alas, now shes sold! New owner might sticker her back up, dunno.

You must have a Vertigo the 130 to 1 still bothers me when I mix it up just doesn't seem right .
Yup - and while it raises eyebrows, it's absolutely mandatory and safe. These are not constant, high revving bikes.

I've had the top end off two Vertigos with 50+ hours on them. I know other dealers who have seen many, many more. With ECU controlled injection, there is zero risk of adequate lubrication. Everything looked like new on both bikes.

Further, making the mix more concentrated WILL cause problems. I've had several customers not believe the 130:1, dropping to 100:1. Their bikes ran like crap and constantly fouled plugs.

Top Bottom Back Refresh