What's new

Trials Training Days 2022 - March 26-27

mow-ree

Member Number
I posted this in the other place awhile back but not sure who is just over here now. And not sure if anyone else is even going.

Gravity and I will be rolling down early Thursday the 24th. Planning on meeting up with Fallacy and Dirtleg too. If anyone is going, feel free to stop over say hi. Gravity and I'll be camping near a tan tacoma with WI plates. I know last year was thinking I'd meet up with some inmates but then had 0 cell coverage/internet access. So throwing it out early.

If I could have figured out how to safely get my bike down to TTC without risking it getting stolen while I slept in my car at a rest-area, I would have done so. It is a 15 hour drive from CT to TN. It seems a shame to skip it this year given how many pros will be there in advance of the National the following weekend.

Instead I am going to head up a bit later to the Tryals Shop and spend whatever money I'd have spent on the weekend at individual/small group coaching with Mike Komer. Only 4.5 hours drive each way.

That'd be a pretty bold thief to attempt to steal a bike off a car someone is sleeping in!

Yeah, Looking forward to the TTD as I've never been there. Hopefully it'll be a little warmer than here in the frozen tundra.

Last edited:
That'd be a pretty bold thief to attempt to steal a bike off a car someone is sleeping in!

Yeah, Looking forward to the TTD as I've never been there. Hopefully it'll be a little warm than here in the frozen tundra.

Yeah, I was thinking, I would be ok with sleeping at a rest stop, in a car, with my bike on the back. There is a lot of activity at most rest stops, where a thief might feel uncomfortable. Leaving my bike on the back of the car, while I slept in a hotel, I would be uncomfortable with that.

Checking in as I've been absent a bit. I am coming down Thursday morning. My son will not be able attend. He got sick (not covid) and missed a week of school so I cannot take him out of anymore school unfortunately.

Le'Bob and Jess will be occupying the camper as well as myself. We will be in space 7 at the bottom of the hill. Everyone is welcome. Stop in for a beverage or meal. I'll definitely be making the rounds as well.

Matt, do you have my number? Need to co-ordinate the camper space since you made the reservation. If not let me know.

Checking in as I've been absent a bit. I am coming down Thursday morning. My son will not be able attend. He got sick (not covid) and missed a week of school so I cannot take him out of anymore school unfortunately.

Le'Bob and Jess will be occupying the camper as well as myself. We will be in space 7 at the bottom of the hill. Everyone is welcome. Stop in for a beverage or meal. I'll definitely be making the rounds as well.

Matt, do you have my number? Need to co-ordinate the camper space since you made the reservation. If not let me know.
No rental bike for you!

mow-ree and I are 2 hours into the trip. Should be there late afternoon.
CE0310DD-046D-4EBD-AA13-D695468313A2.jpeg

Is there a picture that was shared here? Just looks like a big blob of white to me... or is that the joke, like there is some massive snowstorm in the middle of the country?

TTD photo dump, lets see how much I can drop into 1 post

Home for the long weekend, a bit brisk camping and thanks to all those running generators all night, try buying a sleeping bag

TTD2.jpg

Ran into Ray Peters in the woods and got an impromptu lesson on ride-ups the day before TTD, was very cool. That is Mr Gravity there

TTD 1.jpg

Thats me on another rock after the ride-up lesson
TTD3.jpg

My attempt at a floater turn, with a kicker I can get it to come around a bit. Unlikely to really need this skill at my low level but still fun to practice

TTD5.jpg

Practicing angled logs, still not getting much lift on the rear tire, building some confidence on em though
TTD6.jpg

My attempt at a floater turn, with a kicker I can get it to come around a bit. Unlikely to really need this skill at my low level but still fun to practice

You always need to practice a level of two up from what you compete at, keep those skills growing. I need to see video of the floater but in the photo, your eyes are not looking into the turn. That is a big mistake I see from people (including myself). It helps to have a end point, or a goal for the floater. Your soccer cones are good for that. Try to do the floater and land on top of one of the cones.

Are you running a headset? Which one? Sometimes I think it might be nice to run one.

You always need to practice a level of two up from what you compete at, keep those skills growing. I need to see video of the floater but in the photo, your eyes are not looking into the turn. That is a big mistake I see from people (including myself). It helps to have a end point, or a goal for the floater. Your soccer cones are good for that. Try to do the floater and land on top of one of the cones.

Are you running a headset? Which one? Sometimes I think it might be nice to run one.

I am pretty sure Nigel, the instructor gave me the same feedback on looking where I want to go. :lol2

I need to spend alot of time back at the basics, my turning was pretty shitty. A few instructors made the same analogy of a brick wall and the base of my wall is pretty crappy...

On our free ride day, Gravity and I ran headsets. We ran 4 of them linked in Moab on our dirtbike helmets and tried them for the first time on the trials helmets. It worked really good on the free ride day, not as useful once classes started. They are Lexin. There is a boom mic too for the open helmets. Linking 2 up is easy, 4 is kinda of a PITA but doable. I don't think we broke range this past weekend but we did that pretty frequently in moab

The headsets were great for the free day. We'll probably link them up for competitions too. But yeah, it got kinda weird when mow-ree was talking to the instructor, and I kept responding to him. So, we opted to drop them for the actual classes.

thanks to all those running generators all night, try buying a sleeping bag

Thursday night was fine. Friday night, we were hanging out with SIL, Fallacy , and Dirtleg in the evening. We got back up to camp and there was a guy setup with an obnoxiously loud generator within feet of our site.

I politely asked him if he was planning on running it all night. He said he needed it to stay warm. mow-ree lost his shit and tore into the guy - it was brutal.

TTC was actually super accommodating. The ended up finding a spot for him to setup - far from anyone else. We ended up talking to him later - after Mow-ree calmed down - and he was actually happy about it. He liked having his own private campsite and we liked the relative quiet. I do think there were 3 other generators running most of the weekend, but they weren't as obnoxiously loud.

Back
Top Bottom