What's new

Trials Videos....

This may have discussed in other places cause not a new video, but this is a new site, so deal with it.....:D

came across it on a fb group, but wtf is with the donkey kick off the tires???? Just screwing around? He does it quite a few times. I would assume its an instant 5 if you actually threw it in a comp (both feet supported on same side of bike). I kinda want to learn it just to throw in a comp (I get plenty of 5s so not a big deal) but think there is a good chance take some hard crashes learning it. Gravity have discussed offline far more than its worth thinking about. :lol3

This may have discussed in other places cause not a new video, but this is a new site, so deal with it.....:D

came across it on a fb group, but wtf is with the donkey kick off the tires???? Just screwing around? He does it quite a few times. I would assume its an instant 5 if you actually threw it in a comp (both feet supported on same side of bike). I kinda want to learn it just to throw in a comp (I get plenty of 5s so not a big deal) but think there is a good chance take some hard crashes learning it. Gravity have discussed offline far more than its worth thinking about. :lol3

I believe the rule is a 5 if both feet touch the ground on the same side of the bike. If he is only contacting one foot, then it is a 1. The kick is happening fast, so it is hard to tell. I know of a story, the riders bike kicked into neutral, in a section, they dabbed with their left foot when it happened. So now they needed to get it in gear, they lifted their right foot over the bike and put it in gear. There was some discussion but it was deemed a legal move because the right foot did not touch the ground. If the rule was only both feet on the same side of the bike, sometimes we get out of sorts and have to throw a leg out behind us for balance, crossing the center of the bike. That would be a 5 right there. Clear as mud?

I believe the rule is a 5 if both feet touch the ground on the same side of the bike. If he is only contacting one foot, then it is a 1. The kick is happening fast, so it is hard to tell. I know of a story, the riders bike kicked into neutral, in a section, they dabbed with their left foot when it happened. So now they needed to get it in gear, they lifted their right foot over the bike and put it in gear. There was some discussion but it was deemed a legal move because the right foot did not touch the ground. If the rule was only both feet on the same side of the bike, sometimes we get out of sorts and have to throw a leg out behind us for balance, crossing the center of the bike. That would be a 5 right there. Clear as mud?

I would guess the rules varies by district. Some would say "supported" which if kicking both feet off the tire it would be.

My real question though is why??? :lol3:lol3

I'll ask at TTD. I'm sure whoever I ask will be looking at me like I am the biggest idiot they've ever seen. And they would be right. :queenie

I would guess the rules varies by district. Some would say "supported" which if kicking both feet off the tire it would be.

My real question though is why??? :lol3:lol3

I'll ask at TTD. I'm sure whoever I ask will be looking at me like I am the biggest idiot they've ever seen. And they would be right. :queenie

We need to split this up in different scenarios, I had a hard time telling if he was making contact with both feet. So the first scenario is if only one foot contacts and he holds the other from contacting the tire. I would say that is a single point dab. The next scenario is if both touch at the same time, then that is a 5. If both touch but at separate times, that is a 2. Also, as you mentioned, specific wording in club rules is needed.

Pat Smage talking about getting a stiffer and more reactive clutch with a narrower slip range. Just the opposite of what I'd like to do! :-)

Do you ride a dirtbike in the woods? You know how we like somewhat mushy suspension for tight trail riding? Jump on a top pro GNCC racers bike, the suspension would barely move at the speed we ride. The clutch thing for Pat is similar. I get it. When I had my Scorpa, I took 2 springs out of the clutch pack, to soften things. Then as I got better, it was too slow, I had to return it to stock. Same with my old TRS, when I got it, the previous owner had put the soft clutch ring in, I had a ton of trouble with clutch timing. Stock has been great. I would like to try the faster clutch ring.

Hard to find a balance for sure. Sometimes I'd like a quicker clutch, but soft pull and fast action don't go together. My sore old arthritic fingers can't deal with a heavy pull anymore. I nearly had to have my left pointer finger amputated 40 years ago, after a puncture that entered the big joint capsule went septic. I never really got used to using my middle finger for the clutch. Rich Lafferty promoted using the middle finger for better grip, and watching the the new Club Jitsie video on Pau Martinez.... you can see that he's a middle finger guy. Interesting that in the Trial Tube video of the Barcelona X-Trial, Danny Butler comments on how stiff Jaime Busto's clutch pull is. Also look where Pat's finger is on the clutch lever.... all the way inside for the quickest action, but the least leverage.

Do you ride a dirtbike in the woods? You know how we like somewhat mushy suspension for tight trail riding? Jump on a top pro GNCC racers bike, the suspension would barely move at the speed we ride. The clutch thing for Pat is similar. I get it. When I had my Scorpa, I took 2 springs out of the clutch pack, to soften things. Then as I got better, it was too slow, I had to return it to stock. Same with my old TRS, when I got it, the previous owner had put the soft clutch ring in, I had a ton of trouble with clutch timing. Stock has been great. I would like to try the faster clutch ring.
My neighbor has one of Pat's old bikes, in his words "the clutch was set up to murder me" :lol3

I rather enjoyed this ...

I did also. One of the less rambling ones so far, seemed pretty focused on the topic and less on what the local rider training group was up to.

My ears did perk up when the guest was saying about "new" ways of doing things like balancing and going downhill. I'm not sure I'm ready to sign up for Neil's online coaching but definitely interested to hear his different take on the usual way of doing things (e.g. keep weight centered on downhills/feels like leaning forward, don't keep arms straight during tight turns).

Pat Smage talking about getting a stiffer and more reactive clutch with a narrower slip range. Just the opposite of what I'd like to do! :-)

I received a reply in my comments to Pat that he is really liking the Motul ATF, that he used to run what I currently run, MTL (not sure what weight he used, I run MTL75W). In my old bike it definitely had better clutch feel with Dextron VI in it when I got the bike.

I know, not another oil thread. But it seems you can't get away from it!

Back
Top Bottom