What's new

TRUCK DISMOUNTABLE CAMPERS

1659527946959.png

1659528156072.png

1659528394428.png

Last edited:
I use a Toyota Tacoma with a Leer 180 mid rise camper shell.
While I don't normally remove the shell I have a portable camping set up that I can install/remove in less than 20 minutes.
It's basically 4 pieces
a bunk, removable drawer, storage shelf and a floor section that goes between the bunk and the shelf.
20210602_083552.jpg

Set up it looks like this
20210819_160310.jpg

Travel mode

20210818_185613.jpg

20210506_142556.jpg

It stores against a wall in my barn

Like the COE! If thats the model, i remember as a small kid in the 1960s we used to have broadcast on tv a USA TV series called cannonball, it featured a COE or some such derivative . I cant remember much else about the series other than the truck.

I Have Just purchased a Project Nissan D22 navara , i plan to tray back the body and make a dis mountable along the lines of the one on this D40 navara.
Its an old truck, and has engine issues and i just bought it for scrap vallue . Its unclear yet if i will be rebuilding the YD25 motor or if i will make a conversion plate up for a VW five cylinder SDI AGX engine out of an old VWLT35 van i have here.

VW AGX SDI engine.
1667226567576.png

Navara D22,
1667227247019.png

I have a Nissan d22 kingcab and would be really interested in seeing pics and updates on your project!
My D22 Navara, is very much a project its abandoned in a horse padock and has hoof marks on passenger door.
Its under a mile away but have not got it home yet.
A few Pics here.
1668700730631.jpeg

1668700852974.jpeg

1668700948372.jpeg

1668701056847.jpeg

Not Sure What the eventual mechanical side of things will be, i am going to remove the rear body tub off that truck and go short tray back. clean up chassis and repaint and then the cab section tidy the kick marks up, so far i found no rot on the main cab or chassis ut not saying there isnt any.
Rear body is rotten in the back arches but i did not want a normal tub back truck anyway.
might Leave It blue over silver its my fave Navara colours. But It could end up black or most probably grey if i refinish it, which to be honest was not my original intention, just looking at putting right whats there as cheap as poss.

The engine (YD25) is apparently just running, it was driven to where it is now.
The story goes it went on a run on off its own turbo oil, the turbo had been whining a long time and lost boost but the previous owner kept limping around in it and it ran on, but he put it in top gear fast and staled it. and apparently drove it there in that condition nearly 2 miles country roads.
So its all there but very very Ill, but un mutilated by others. So what i make of it good or bad will be all my fault and or the fault of the engines curent condition.
Knowing the YD25s like i do, i am expecting cracked con rods and probably bent too, possible crank scoring and may be i have some can / cam train issues and thats not even talking about the turbo itself yet.
Rods are £35 each gaskets £100 bottom end shells £%0 and a used turbo £100 ish. Not counting such stuff as belts oil filters and any thing else that turns up on inspection.
The masocist in me wants to save the original YD25 lump, but the Clever money part of me wants to make a conversion ring and spigot suport bush re tap the VW AGX 2.5 NormaL ASPITATED 5 CYLINDER DIESEL AND CONVERT IT TO vw sdi MOTOR.
lOTS AND LOTS TO SORT.
Like i said initialy its very much a project, but done worse, and i am a big Nissan fan and the D22 my favorite double cab pick up and thats dispite the YD25 motor and its issues. If i end up converting to the VWSDI AGX diesel i will loose HP but gain fuel consumption and gain a little more torque . Its Happening, and ill keep you posted in the truck and the dismountable camper body too. Should perhaps join Irate 4x4.

Thanks for the update! It'll be great to see what happens. My kingcab np 300 - d22. Was sitting under a pinetree for three years. Got it up and running and even pulled a friend's car out of the ditch (first big snow storm here) tonight. Daughter wants to camp out of the back of it in the summer hence the big interest!!

Last edited:
Thanks for the update! It'll be great to see what happens. My kingcab np 300 - d22. Was sitting under a pinetree for three years. Got it up and running and even pulled a friend out of the ditch (first big snow storm here) tonight. Daughter wants to camp out of the back of it in the summer hence big interest!!
I wanted a D22 especially and to build the way i wanted it. IE my time in NZ i saw and liked the short tray back trucks that seemed more com mon than here in uk.
The short flat tray double cab suits my needs exactly, and the dismountable camper was something i wanted to build, and plan to make a canopy i can fit on the flat back for waterfowl hunting in the winter up in the northern firths.
Tray back needs to be short for my requirements and probably straight off around where the rear angled corners start on this tray.
1668903765400.png

As long as i can go behind the rear shackles and get tow bracket on it will do that short.
More or less this length but no sides.
1668903970950.png

The canopy will be short and this type, and what i want for basic camping trips. with the wife and dogs in summer or winter hunting trips.

1668904379370.png

The dismountable i will make from 1 inch box section and aloy panels i already have.
I want it cab over straight on to flat back, but slightly less rear overhang than this one, but same basic idea. all a huge undertaking, but i am old got lots of free time and lots of younger enthusiastic help and my eldest lad can fabricate and graft for England.
1668905754676.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom Back Refresh