MVI

MVI MOTO
Mod
Vendor
ADV+
Member Number
These truck tents seem to be gaining popularity round here

REI has them on sale for under a hundo.

any reason not to give this a try, or is there a superior option in the same similar price point

1656265513873.png

I think it would be ok for a night or two coupled with my high quality air mattress and a good bed roll

Keep the dust, rain and bugs out

These truck tents seem to be gaining popularity round here

REI has them on sale for under a hundo.

any reason not to give this a try, or is there a superior option in the same similar price point
These have peaked my interest more than once, lots of pros, not many cons. Biggest con I can think of is if you need to use the truck, the tent has to come off and be set up again.

What is the advantage of a truck bed tent vs a regular tent? I see a few downside, in a regular tent, I have enjoyed the warmth of the earth under us. I remember one morning in Yellowstone where I thought we might have camped on top of an active geothermal area (likely was not the case) because everything was covered in frost but the floor of the tent was warm. Having to empty the contents of the truck bed seems like an additional chore.

With a formerly broken Pelvis I find it incredibly hard to get up from the ground without a support/crutch of some kind.
For riding A downed CRF will do nicely to use as a crutch.

With the Tailgate tent,
  • Slide right into it at tailgate height
  • Off the ground
  • Instant Flat surface for the air mattress
  • dont care if the ground is cold/wet/muddy

Crew Cab truck means all the riding / camping gear is in the truck, the only 3 things I have to unload is the bike, a propane tank, and a 2 burner camp stove and set up the tent, which I think takes no longer than any pup tent. Now that I think about this, the water jug can stay in the truck

If you can ride a motorcycle, I'd hope you can negotiate the distance from the tailgate to the ground, especially with a step stool.

Alternatively, a Nalgene Canteen works fine in the shelter.
Not to worry, i have several male urinals from my time in hospitals. and I have this "Camping Bench" that is really a step stool

It is handy as a step stool, seat, or food prep station for pots pans coffee etc

1656333300353.png

Doesn't it kind of suck not being able to go anywhere though? You have to pack everything up if you want to leave or something?

Never saw the appeal.

Doesn't it kind of suck not being able to go anywhere though? You have to pack everything up if you want to leave or something?

Never saw the appeal.
With RTT or a bed tent, I'd still need to pack up the stove et al if moving

I noted this for a couple of days event, ex. Drive to AR for the AMA Ozark 200, set up camp, ride a couple of days, head home.

If one was really overlanding in a differnt spot every night moving the truck around, yeah a RTT make a lot more sense, but note, a lot more $$$$ too

Looking at ZoomerP rig, That is mighty far from terra firma, and I dont climb ladders well anymore.

All my riding gear fits in one tub, and as I cant see a situation where all my other stuffs wouldn't fit in a second tub.

I got one they had messed up the waterproofing on for ~$30, but gifted to my brother. Friend had one and says it's a bit fiddly to set up and not something you'd care to do just for an overnight. For the head room and being out of creepy crawlie & wild hog range likely a good option at the price. :thumb

Just bumped into this thread thanks to "new posts." I hope you don't mind me chiming in given that I don't even own a truck, but at what point does a hard shell make sense? I'm guessing it's the price point that's ruling them out? Or maybe the more limited head room? (seems pretty tall shells are available) On the other hand, a shell would eliminate the set-up/break-down process.

Back
Top Bottom