What's new

Tyre Lube.. Home made????

matty

Border raider.
Member Number
Tyre lub e is getting more costly these days, and what with me being a tight wallet , i was wondering if any one had any effective home make recipies to save shelling out the hard earned on the likes of Eoro past / Slime etc. any idea?

Last edited:
No-Mar sells a vegetable (soy) oil based goo that's extremely slick and snotty. I wonder if emulsifying soy oil and water in a blender would be a good place to start.

Sounds feasible, and worth looking into.
Its not like you or should i say I/ Me, i dont use lots of it and i suppose a tub if you seal it up lasts a good wile for just the family tyre consumption, but in the uk at the moment there is not a lot of profit in tyres and tyre fitting, so firms charge in some instances double for a tyre what you could buy online , and then the dismount of the old tyre mounting and balancing. this boosts their income and the consumer carries the financial hit, and in my opinion inappropriately so.
What has sparked my interest in this is a recent sittuation where i needed four tyres fitted which i had in hand used. the average price was £15 a wheel unbalanced, and quite a few were £18 a wheel unballanced. And £30 for a part warn tyre fitted again unbalanced, when i could buy new tyre to my door for £42 including vat.
I have basic bar and post type gear, but imediately went out and bought a used but vgc turntable machine for £300.
Its drastic move i know but needs must and one tyre firms boss has his wife working in the office and she drives a 2021 aston martin, so couple this with his supercharged new defender and new hylux mobile tyre service truck unit and the manager in a 2022 ranger. some one is making some money someplace.
I am fitting my own in future period, and i just did not like the look of the price of euro paste thats all.

I've read and have used armor all to mount motorcycle tires. No ill effects so far. I used to use dish soap and water until I found out dish soap has a certain amount of lye which reacts to aluminum, of which I can confirm. It would be nice if someone will come forward with a good home made recipe. I'm all about that.

Google threw this up, ill post any i find. Please discus or your own insight in to the recipes potential usefulness or indeed any possible shortfalls you can envisage.
!..
Half-fill a one-gallon container with water. Add a bottle of inexpensive body-wash to the container. Select a bottle that contains at least 18 fluid ounces. Look for one that contains mineral oil or soybean oil--they contain emulsifiers to prevent the oil from separating in the water.

• Tire lubricant, used to mount and dismount tires, is crucial to successfully completing the job without damaging the tires.
  • Look for one that contains mineral oil or soybean oil--they contain emulsifiers to prevent the oil from separating in the water.

Mix the body wash until it is thoroughly blended with the water. If the mix foams or bubbles, the additive was a bad choice. Do not use shampoo or soaps that will excessively foam. Hair conditioners that have a high oil content or lanolin can be used but they are more expensive. However, the foam will eventually settle and the mix can be used.

• Mix the body wash until it is thoroughly blended with the water.
  • However, the foam will eventually settle and the mix can be used.

Lubricate the tire and mount it. There is an added value to a proper mix--it can also be used to wash the protective coating covering the whitewall stripe on a new tire. After completing the mount and washing off the coating, wipe the tire stripe clean with a damp cloth.

WARNING

It is important to clean the area after mounting the tire. Use only mineral oil- or vegetable oil-based mixes. Never use petroleum based products; serious damage can occur.

I use Windex (or the store brand equivalent). It all evaporates away and leaves no residue. I always have a spray bottle of it in the garage anyway, and it is nice and slippery.

OK. Here goes nothing.
After a bit of reserch online and asking a few mates who are or have been in the tyre game years. seems euro paste is a popular comercial, and the RU Lube was mentioned by two i know and not forgeting woods on here, so worth moting these two products.
For a Home brew.
A Mate was kind enough to spend a few mins on phone giving his thoughts although he admited never trying to make it as it was just bought and used on the job.
But his observations were thus.
1. dont use mineral oils use veg oil, and avoid water too it with the salt in some dish soaps can not only leave moisture in the tyre but oxodize the bead edge in time.
Other mate seemed sold on Pink despenser ctype hand wash soap and dont dilute it with water but cheap Fabric conditioner and add a little(Whatever that means) Of olive oil.

My thoughts here.
Ok get the water deal and the fabric conditioner and hand soad again seems feasable and in itself probably not too messy and should dry quicker than water in the mix, now Olive Oil? This sounds possibly messy, but if its just a dash to aid lubricity then it might work.
Now totally out my own head now, Peanut butter not crunchy obviously, not sure on amount but probably no more than a level tablespoonfull a UK gallon , my reason for thinking about peanet butter is just how good it cleans up grey weathered ABS plastic, it shines it and blackens it up like new, and rubber screen seals again look well on peanut butter, i guess its like a peasants version of armourall. .
any thoughts here on this?

I use talcum powder. Doesn't cause the rims to rust or react, and smells nice ! I always have some in the bathroom so it's effectively zero cost for my tyre.

I use talcum powder. Doesn't cause the rims to rust or react, and smells nice ! I always have some in the bathroom so it's effectively zero cost for my tyre.
Again .. feasible, it works with bicycle tyres that much i do know for sure, i never used it for motorbike or car tyres but again feasible.

Curious about Ru Glyde so googled the ingredients the best I could.

Basically, dewaxed petroleum distillates in mist form combined with ethylene glycol and alcohols.

Dewaxed to prevent caking, I guess. Alcohol is the solvent that will evaporate. The glycol seems like a bad idea, but we ARE asking it to be slippery.

I still use dawn dish soap watered down. Haven't seen a rim decay from it yet, but also don't have any bare aluminum rims on anything I've owned. I feel like I would be done with a motorcycle long before dish soap would have a chance to dissolve the rims, but who knows.

I fitted 4 15 inch tyres on steel wheels today (trailer) .
I had nothing blended or purchased, and just used washing up liquid put it in a old swarfega tub and aplied it with a trimmed down paint brush. It worked fine and just might keep on using it its certainly good enough from what i can tell with my limited experience with this machine.

Last edited:
+1 for Ru Glyde- it's $19.99 at your local NAPA store for a gallon. I bought a jug when i bought my harbour freight MC Tire changer almost 10 years ago. have changed about a dozen tires so far with them and used about a cup out of the gallon.

Top Bottom Back Refresh