What's new

Upper Michigan - Say ya' to da' UP, eh!?

Nope. My days of traveling off the bike are pretty much over. I went full-time rv life a few years ago and since did a cargo trailer conversion. The big trailer hasn't moved from NM since. All my traveling is out of the 16' cargo and loving the social distancing life style. Lol plus the cost savings really helps being on a limited budget.

Well let us know if you wind up in the area!

:hmmmmmI just did way too much work trying to find out the admission price for a bike. Especially because I will likely not be entering this year...
Did you find it? I found one page on NASA's site from 2017 that lists the entry fee for MCs as $150.

Did you find it? I found one page on NASA's site from 2017 that lists the entry fee for MCs as $150.
No, and I had to get back to work before I could dig deeper. The membership and license fee was $130 with rally admission on top of that. Given inflation that's probably $200 nowadays.

I looked into that stuff recently too. It seems they aren't doing Moto classes for one of the UP races this year either. Unless they changed that recently.
https://cuprally.wixsite.com/2022 Yah, looks like only Cars (section 3) are eligible :dunno

And wild to think that 10 years ago this weekend (or last?) I was riding Bass Lake on a Husky WR250. Not a bit of snow on the trails.

I rode Bass Lake for the first time in October... that was awesome!

Well here is a question for you folks that know the north country. If you had a week to ride the trails and single track. Where would you setup a Basecamp to dispense camp? Close enough to someplace to get camp supplies and gas for the bikes. But far enough away not to be crowded.

Well here is a question for you folks that know the north country. If you had a week to ride the trails and single track. Where would you setup a Basecamp to dispense camp? Close enough to someplace to get camp supplies and gas for the bikes. But far enough away not to be crowded.

The UPAT figure 8s near Gwinn. There's gas and groceries there with some State Park campgrounds. I would say the Superior Coast is where things will be the busiest.

The UPAT figure 8s near Gwinn. There's gas and groceries there with some State Park campgrounds. I would say the Superior Coast is where things will be the busiest.

Thanks I'll check the area out on Furkot. That's the mapping I'll be working with. After searching I found it to be the best for what I'll looking to do with all the features, if I can figure it out. Lol

I spent a week just south of Gwinn last year in Watersmeet I believe it was spelled. Had a good time on the trails and FS roads.

State forest allow you to wild camp there? I don't really want to be in a campground if I don't need to be.

Thanks I'll check the area out on Furkot. That's the mapping I'll be working with. After searching I found it to be the best for what I'll looking to do with all the features, if I can figure it out. Lol

I spent a week just south of Gwinn last year in Watersmeet I believe it was spelled. Had a good time on the trails and FS roads.

State forest allow you to wild camp there? I don't really want to be in a campground if I don't need to be.
Watersmeet is 2hrs ESE of Gwinn. Ottawa and Hiawatha National Forests allow dispersed camping. The state forests don't appear to. I had the wrong perception of basecamp. I was thinking Toy Hauler with all of the amenities.

Watersmeet is 2hrs ESE of Gwinn. Ottawa and Hiawatha National Forests allow dispersed camping. The state forests don't appear to. I had the wrong perception of basecamp. I was thinking Toy Hauler with all of the amenities.
Not problem to stay in a,campground, just they seem to be over priced for me. I don't or won't use the stuff that drive the price. Other than the showers and water there's not much more for me. Oh sometimes the views are good. Lol if you get my dirt Oldman mind.

Anything you can say about something off of rt94? Singleton area or handy? I'm not sure but I think I noticed a good bit of single track at the very east of the Peninsula. Any suggestions over there?

Lots of single track along with tons of two tracks in the area between Seney, Grand Marais, Newberry, and Paradise.

Tons of state forest campgrounds on small lakes throughout the area. A bit of sand the closer you get to Lake Superior.

Dispersed camping is allowed pretty much anywhere in the state forest. Can't be within one mile of a state forest campground, but I've never seen that enforced.

A lot of that area is CFA land (commercial forest), and free dispersed camping is also allowed.

I've only had the chance to ride in the UP once so I'm far from knowlegable. I hauled the bike around and stayed in four different spots. I printed a list of DNR trail maps and had a rough list of trails I wanted to ride.

I was supposed to meet friends in Marquette. My grandma grew up in Escanaba so I really wanted to visit the city. Setting up one camp wasn't really an option for me and I'm glad that I moved around. It added to the adventure not knowing where I was going to stay. I was the only camper in the Bass Lake Campground. I know it pales in comparison to the epic rides so many have done, but for me it was the greatest adventure of my life.

I wound up riding:
Cranberry Lake
Sandtown
Bass Lake
Two Heart
Pine Ridge
A little bit of Danahar Plains and a lot of free riding the CRs in Luce county.

Bottom line, I'm glad that I moved around. I basically made a clockwise loop of the eastern half of the UP and saw so much cool stuff.

My understanding is that you are allowed to camp in state forests with some restrictions. They call it "dispersed camping".

The PDF registration card at that link has some regulations on it.

Back
Top Bottom