What's new

Using a pit bull front stand.

klaviator

Scooter Trash
Member Number
I recently picked up a pit bull front stand on closeout and lifted my Versys using it. It doesn't seem to want to work the way the instructions show.

P7180005-X2.jpg

I tried a few times and it always looked like the not good pic.

I finally got it up like this.

P7180003-X2.jpg

It seem secure and stable but its not what the directions show. Any ideas?

This is my first time using a front end stand.

I recently picked up a pit bull front stand on closeout and lifted my Versys using it. It doesn't seem to want to work the way the instructions show.

P7180005-X2.jpg

I tried a few times and it always looked like the not good pic.

I finally got it up like this.

P7180003-X2.jpg

It seem secure and stable but its not what the directions show. Any ideas?

This is my first time using a front end stand.
Find something else to get the wheel up! It was a long time since I used mine, had some simple maintenance to perform, went to put wheel back on and pushed the bike off the stand while attempting to insert axle:fpalm

Floor jack or if forks are coming off, rafters and strap.

Find something else to get the wheel up! It was a long time since I used mine, had some simple maintenance to perform, went to put wheel back on and pushed the bike off the stand while attempting to insert axle:fpalm

Floor jack or if forks are coming off, rafters and strap.
There is no good place a floor jack on the Versys except under the muffler. I don't know if it could take the weight. The rafters are covered by the ceiling in the garage and they aren't very strong. Racers use these stands all the time. It's just a matter of using them correctly.

Probably spools or bobbins would be stable, if you can fit them. I like the headlift stands with a pin up into the triple tree.

I start the lift with the front pads centered on forks. Easy to judge by the splits. Press down lightly and do subtle side to side motion with handle. Positions and Seats pads. Rear pad should be on back of fork, not on corner. Lift. The pendulum will finally be closer to vertical.

I was going to make a joke about not abusing your dog, but I guess it's too late now... :lol3

There is no good place a floor jack on the Versys except under the muffler. I don't know if it could take the weight. The rafters are covered by the ceiling in the garage and they aren't very strong. Racers use these stands all the time. It's just a matter of using them correctly.
The muffler and header are very robust, having used them to support my ninja 650 many times.
Used correctly, the forks can easily come off the supports.

When did you start working on bikes?

The muffler and header are very robust, having used them to support my ninja 650 many times.
Used correctly, the forks can easily come off the supports.

When did you start working on bikes?
I've been working on bikes for a long time but I'm no expert mechanic. On the rest of my bikes getting off the front wheel is not a big deal. My Scooters have centerstands. My KLX can be lifted by a floor jack under the skid plate. In the past I just took my versys to the dealer and let them take care of getting the wheel off.

I have seen bikes up on front wheel stands at bikes shows and in the pits at race tracks so I figured it shouldn't be a big deal. It looks easy enough in the video. I tried several more times to get the bike lifted like it shows in the directions. I can get the pads in the right position like the directions but when I lift they rotate into the wrong position.

Reactions: EGR
I have had a rear wheel stand for a long time and never had any issues using it on various bikes. I figured the front stand would be the same.

I managed to rotate the bracket with the red pads so it looks more like the directions show. I did it while the bike was on the stand. It seems pretty stable. I'll pull the axle in the morning before taking the wheel to the shop.

Perhaps I misunderstand the above^^^

That type fork lift should ALWAYS be used only AFTER rear is up on a proper rear wheel stand already. NEVER alone or first.

I personally do not even use this type fork stand when a bike is on its own centerstand. There is too little weight on front IMO so the forks can easily be “bumped” off.

Context. I DIY. Including recycling my own tires. Couple years ago one trip to the proper county place - 53 bike tires, mine. About 15 now in the barn. Two surgeries this year. Off year. Every front saw such a stand. My shop or paddock.

Last edited:
Perhaps I misunderstand the above^^^

That type fork lift should ALWAYS be used only AFTER rear is up on stand already. NEVER alone
Yes. I do have the back end on a stand.
OK. I did misunderstand.
Suggestion. Next lift try - when pads contact fork bottoms with light pressure push handle toward rear and slightly increase down pressure on handle. Notice if the pads rotate into OK position. Then complete the lift.

The universal pads will probably improve with use. I confess when I started lifting Brembo radial calipers I started making fitted to the particular bike lift blocks.

I say this all the time about these issues..
In order for a product to work for everyone, It really cannot work for anyone.. Modification is almost always in order
Good luck

I put my Versys on the stand, took off the wheel, got the tire changed and put the wheel back on. The bike didn't fall off the stand so it was a success!

I put my Versys on the stand, took off the wheel, got the tire changed and put the wheel back on. The bike didn't fall off the stand so it was a success!

Should be relatively solid, but really those quicky fork stands are no substitute for a proper under the tree stand. You have to hit the bike with a car to knock if off of one of those, I can push bikes around the garage on the stand(s) with them.

Should be relatively solid, but really those quicky fork stands are no substitute for a proper under the tree stand. You have to hit the bike with a car to knock if off of one of those, I can push bikes around the garage on the stand(s) with them.
I asked the service manager at a shop about stands. He's also an experienced mechanic. He recommended the Pit Bull Convertable stand which can lift the by the forks or under the tree. He looked it up for me. I think it was $289:eek7 I know there are cheaper stands or I could get the Pit Bull for less. I decided it wasn't worth it. I only have one bike that I would use it on. Figure a new front tire every 2 years. I'd never get my money back since it costs anywhere from 25 - 40 bucks extra to bring the bike in vs just the wheel. I had decided to not bother getting a stand but with the shop going out of business I picked up the stand cheap. If needed I could get the adapter to change my stand to an under the tree one.

I asked the service manager at a shop about stands. He's also an experienced mechanic. He recommended the Pit Bull Convertable stand which can lift the by the forks or under the tree. He looked it up for me. I think it was $289:eek7 I know there are cheaper stands or I could get the Pit Bull for less. I decided it wasn't worth it. I only have one bike that I would use it on. Figure a new front tire every 2 years. I'd never get my money back since it costs anywhere from 25 - 40 bucks extra to bring the bike in vs just the wheel. I had decided to not bother getting a stand but with the shop going out of business I picked up the stand cheap. If needed I could get the adapter to change my stand to an under the tree one.

Yeah, 289 initial buy in. After that when you get a new bike you just have to change the pin. The stand itself works for damn near any bike.

Or just to the 'ol come-a-long off of the celing, hard to knock a bike over that way as well.

Yeah, 289 initial buy in. After that when you get a new bike you just have to change the pin. The stand itself works for damn near any bike.

Or just to the 'ol come-a-long off of the celing, hard to knock a bike over that way as well.
Good point. Depending on the bikes you own it could be a good investment. I have 5 bikes and the stand is only needed for one. Someday when I replace the Versys there is a good chance I won't need the stand anymore.

Just make sure you get the right sized pins with the triple tree stand, the one ive had from cycle gear doesnt have any big enough for the versys.

I usually just use an adjustable dirtbike center stand and pick up the Versys from the exhaust with the rear stand. I have on occasion used two ratchet straps over the garage rafters to lift the front as well, plenty stable!

Back
Top Bottom