What's new

Vermont Riding

The VT BMW club runs a puppy dog event every year. I think this year is is the weekend of June 4th. You can start at either end they way they set it up.

For anyone planning on taking the Ticonderoga Ferry from VT to NY or vice versa, it's been closed for a couple of seasons now and doesn't look like it will be open anytime soon. Shame, because it was by far my favorite way to travel over to the Adirondacks. Looks like it's tied up in litigation for now.

I'm happy to report that the Ticonderoga Ferry is OPEN, as of Memorial Day (5/30/22). Must be they solved their legal entanglements.
Just in time for the Americade Rally.........

Suggestions for some street riding? Looking to take a day out on the Harley. No dirt roads. Curvy roads are welcomed. Perhaps something with a lookout or a place to grab a burger. That sort of thing.

What I call the "teens route" isn't bad. not sure where you're coming from, but catching 12 at Woodstock, up through montpeculiar, then either stay on 12 to Morristown or grab 14, Either way you end up on 15, where you could choose to go NW to Jeffersonville, then down to Stowe, then down 108 via smuggler's notch. Or stay SE on 15, catch 215 to Cabot, then 232 through the Groton state forest. Left on 302 then right on Powder Spring road which will take you through Topsham and land you at East Corinth. Rt. 25 takes you back to rt 91 for the slab home, or head to Corinth take 133 to Chelsea and down 110 to Royalton, then SE on 14 to 132, which dumps you off on Rt 5 just north of Hanover.

You can't go wrong tracing lazy circles on rts. 12, 13, 14, 15 and 16. Country stores are common on these roads.

Noted. I'll check up on those roads. :beer

typically my entry point into VT is the Bradford area.

good, so this loop should work for you. Bradford to 25, run it counterclockwise. It's a lot more fun than the wobbly chrome parade on rt 100.....

Puppy Dog Route isn't a loop, is it? Few of us are planning out a trip this summer. I can't seem to get it to load right into the Kurvigor website. And another gpx file showed a loop.

BTW, the MOV always have a puppy dog run the first few days of June. It's a members-only event, but membership is $20 well-spent.

If you’re looking for a paved ride thru remote parts of the state, 114 from lyndonville up past island pond to Norton and Canaan, cross into NH and take 3 up&back to the Canadian border, then down 102 along the Connecticut to Rt 2, which takes you back west south of Lyndon

the New Hampshire part takes you up last lake St Francis and then the first, second, and third Connecticut lakes, which are the headwaters of the Connecticut River. From the mid 1800s to the 1920’s, they would Dam the lakes and nearby tributaries and float the winter’s timber harvest down to the mills in Hartford and Springfield when it thawed in the spring.

a hundred years ago there was barely a tree standing anywhere up there, the whole state was only 15% forested back then. There are still lots of public dirt road along the old logging roads in the areas inside the loop if you’ve got a plated DS- pretty much any street bike can handle most of it

Reminded me to ask- this next summer I'm picking up a couple routes I missed last trip up there. How are the unpaved roads from the Canaan/Pittsburg/Lake Francis area heading southeast down past Wentworth's Location- ie the Magalloway Rd related network? google maps shows reasonable looking entry/exits. I don't mind general mud/gravel/reasonable potholes etc but for this trip not into stuff generally needing a 4x4 or DR.

:dirtdog
IMG_2663-X4.jpg

Surprised no one, including myself, mentioned the Dirty Dog. As far as A->B, with a good mix of easy and "expert". Mostly, dirt. Some very remote. This is the best, published, track Vermont has to offer, imho.

Back
Top Bottom