What's new

Versys Ride Thread

bath time for a dirty gurl

2D9FE230-89B2-4668-A2F8-77BE0A462404.jpeg
now I'm jealous! I havent seen running water in awhile :lol3

Decided to prep the bike cefore the next trip, about 1 hr from garage door opened to engine on the ground
_nc_ohc=td6ALV3xNDIAX-DDZRx&_nc_ht=scontent-den4-1.jpg

was burning oil for a bit and wanted to catch it before it got bad so head came off and here is what she looked like
_nc_ohc=9PyBM9M6PSMAX_X_Qom&_nc_ht=scontent-den4-1.jpg
_nc_ohc=WWnrCtMFe88AX8KqBcD&_nc_ht=scontent-den4-1.jpg
_nc_ohc=hN1-Jra3xJkAX9mK29D&_nc_ht=scontent-den4-1.jpg

Cylinder 1 was super cruddy with a thick crispy layer on top, cylinder 2 was more acceptable with just a little build up that flaked off or rubbed off

X9LR-dc&tn=K2D3dZ-bEMuFygl0&_nc_ht=scontent-den4-1.jpg

Hard to see on camera but Cyl 1 plug had a flatter tip with a little junk on top cyl 2 plug looked normal and measured acceptable
engine was put back together same day with fresh rings and gaskets and today I got the engine back in the bike and running with no expensive noises :ricky

_nc_ohc=u2fyYYqCEH0AX9hMQ2K&_nc_ht=scontent-den4-1.jpg

All right so the bike rides amazing now, I just have one slight and annoying issue, sometimes that first start of the day the start doesnt activate.
So key in bike turns on and primes, killswitch is set to run, hit the starter and nothing.
If I reach down and jiggle the kickstand it'll then fire up, but it will not allow me to start in any gear with the clutch pulled in even after jiggling the kickstand
what a stupidly annoying problem lol :muutt

I do think it maaaaay have to do with dropping the bike to that side when taking her off the side stand as I've triple checked that all wires are plugged in

All right so the bike rides amazing now, I just have one slight and annoying issue, sometimes that first start of the day the start doesnt activate.
So key in bike turns on and primes, killswitch is set to run, hit the starter and nothing.
If I reach down and jiggle the kickstand it'll then fire up, but it will not allow me to start in any gear with the clutch pulled in even after jiggling the kickstand
what a stupidly annoying problem lol :muutt

I do think it maaaaay have to do with dropping the bike to that side when taking her off the side stand as I've triple checked that all wires are plugged in
Bypass the kickstand switch. I had a lot of problems with mine in the water crossings.

Now that I'm researching it I'm seeing a lot of that, its amazing it survived this long with this much abuse :lol3

Did you just take that metal two prong peice off on yours or did you plice the two wires together

Now that I'm researching it I'm seeing a lot of that, its amazing it survived this long with this much abuse :lol3

Did you just take that metal two prong peice off on yours or did you plice the two wires together
I haven’r yet on the V. I just got back the other day and unpacked!
I’ll solder and heat shrink it as needed. I’m not sure if it’s normally open or closed.

I haven’r yet on the V. I just got back the other day and unpacked!
I’ll solder and heat shrink it as needed. I’m not sure if it’s normally open or closed.
Yeah quick look and it looks like all you nee to do is solder the two wires together and your are all set, I just took that forked metal plate off and mine gives me no issues now so for now That'll do for me. maybe after the next trip i'll do a tidier job lol I'll have a great daily after this trip so I'm thinking a full teardown, fresh paint, better wire management, and some hoemade fairings like what JVB is doing are in order!

Reactions: MVI
Whats that front tire?
Tires are the Bridgestone AX41. I really like these tires. For as aggressive as they are offroad, they rail on the street too. They don't last long. I burn through a rear in about 3500-4000 miles.

Looks like the DRZ front end with the GS500 rim for the hooligan mod?

I like the setup!

Yep, DRZ forks in Versys triple clamps, but V-Strom 1k wheel.

I am waiting for the weather to cool a little so I can paint the tank. The extra 1gal of the Versys tank is very welcome.

Looking for a set of lowered and more off road worthy pegs. That arn’t stupid money.....
Any recommendations?

custom fab mount with KTM690 Rally Raid screen backed with a couple layers of fiberglass mat. chineseum LED lights in two sizes. very rugged setup.

custom fab mount with KTM690 Rally Raid screen backed with a couple layers of fiberglass mat. chineseum LED lights in two sizes. very rugged setup.
Awesome! it looks great! That is going to be one of my winter projects this year

2023 Versys Scooter will be coming out of the shop before long.
See thats going to cost money though, outside of consumables ive either traded or salvaged for everything on my current versys and she has been an absolute champ. Ive got less than $300 tied up in her :ricky

the white frame Versys in the photo above is free to me, no out of pocket cost, including the cop motor. it's assembled from a pile of used parts, different makes and models.

the 2023 Versys Scooter project follows the same recipe...cheap used parts from different sources, including dumpsters. there are 7 different bikes in the Scooter, and i'm just getting started. even the tires on it are used. it will be a pavement runner, not a gravel runner like the white frame bike.

Back
Top Bottom