What's new

Welding & Fabrication

these are nice

1662776016829.png

Last edited:
I am a "farm" welder. I have a Ranger 10,000, 225 cracker box, and a Handler 140 .
Those machines all are better machines than I am a welder.:smile6:-)
There's deals out there. Sometimes you gotta take the initiative. I got my Hobart 175 Handler from northern tool for $200. Display model missing the hub that the wire spool goes on. Manager kept telling me he couldn't sell it because he couldn't ring it up.

"I don't need a receipt, I just wanna buy it".

"I don't have a way to ..."

"I will give you two hundred dollars bills if you let me put this in my truck"

"....oohhhhh....sure"

It's been a fantastic machine that's I've yet to find the limit of.

Last edited:
I think my MILLER 212 is about 15 yo- I cant ever see replacing it because it will do most any MIG Job I need it.
I have the Miller Spool Gun set up on it too for ALUM.

Tig is done with a Miller Diversion 180

But if I get a new Welder, the 235 looks to be a contender

Cut my teeth die welding on a sync350 intellatig.
Don't have 10k+ for home gaming.
Can't do pop cans anymore, best this does is around Stanley razor blades 0.025in.

I unloaded a red wire machine to craigslist in 2013 to buy this and have no regrets. Came with 5yr warranty (never needed).

SMAW, TIG, MIG(spool gun), plasma. Torch stuff all weldcraft compatible (gas lens, etc).

Have less than 3k in everything (cart and bottle too).
Would buy again. Twice.

TIG welding makes me realize how bad getting old sucks. Dexterity just ain't what it was...

PXL_20220910_192117870.jpg

I think my MILLER 212 is about 15 yo- I cant ever see replacing it because it will do most any MIG Job I need it.
I have the Miller Spool Gun set up on it too for ALUM.

Tig is done with a Miller Diversion 180

But if I get a new Welder, the 235 looks to be a contender
I love my 212. A much better MIG machine than I am a welder. 120/220V means it can be pretty much used everywhere. I really need to make more excuses to use it.

I resemble that comment. The aging eyes don't help either.
I have custom Tri Focal Safety Glasses just for TIG.

I hope this helps.

When I was 17 yo working as a Weldor at Metal Fabricators in Iowa, an older, almost soon to retire Weldor once told me, you cant weld what you cant see....

Sage advise I follow today

I resemble that comment. The aging eyes don't help either.
I finally gave up and just take the glasses off for tigging anymore. I don't feel all that old, but I've been wearing glasses since I was five, so I started out behind the 8 ball I guess.

cyberweld has some deals going on now. Sale is over 30 SEPT

ScreenHunter 2006.png

Cast iron, steel door lock box , I'll fab a steel frame etc

How do you attach the cast iron to the steel bits? Brazing, welding?

I guess cast steel would make your job a lot easier? Perhaps that's cost prohibitive though?

Sorry, I'm full of questions.

You have better selection of ornamentals in cast CI vs Cast Steel

Nickel 55 (ENiFe-Cl) 0.035 welding wire is designed for welding gray iron castings to themselves as well as joining them to mild steel. It is $90 per 2# spool. Not cheap. Plus I use 98% /100% Argon gas.

Copper braze welding also works, but I like Nickel wire

some guys mechanically fasten it to steel tabs

Last edited:
Everyday is a school day. Thanks for the info on that.

Bolting to tabs seems a bit...not craftsmanship'y.

CI needs a lot (300F-450F) of pre heat, and post welding thermal heat retention.

I like to pre heat with a rosebud and an then cover with thermal blankets to keep it from cooling off too fast after welding, Or you risk the CI cracking.

Recovering from cracked CI is efforty

1665146205543.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom Back Refresh