What's new

West Virginia Pics

The river must have changed course during the flood because several times over the years I've tried to find the spot where the campground used to be with no success. I did a combined riding/fishing trip in the area last year and caught a shitload of nice smallmouth in that river.
That campground was mostly washed away.

When I was a kid in the 70's we'd camp for 2 weeks every Spring at a small primitive campground just before you got to the store at Smoke Hole, about half way between Upper Tract and Big Bend Campground. The campground got washed away in a flood some time in the 80's.

Flood was in November 1985, so-called 100 year flood from remnants of a hurricane.

Catastrophic flooding in the Potomac/Shenandoah, Cheat, and James river drainages.

The river must have changed course during the flood because several times over the years I've tried to find the spot where the campground used to be with no success. I did a combined riding/fishing trip in the area last year and caught a shitload of nice smallmouth in that river.

This is the second low water bridge at this location, '85 flood completely removed the original one. The river also removed a good bit of the County road alongside the river.
1644504165628.png
RTXXXVIII 2019-09-07 010.JPG

Eating lunch on the bridge during a Norton Owners club ride Fall 2019

I kayaked all over the Mid Atlantic in the 80s and 90s when I lived in MD. We ran the Cheat in the Spring after the floods of 85, I couldn't believe how much it had changed.

We ran the Cheat in the Spring after the floods of 85, I couldn't believe how much it had changed.
We used to multi day camp in the middle of "The Trough" where there was about 30 ft of almost flat land between the RR tracks and the river, '85 flood flushed the campsite and the rail bed downstream. You could still see the high water mark about 100 ft up the mountain a year later.

Top Bottom Back Refresh