What's new

What are you using for GPS maps?

I am liking the cloud approach. In three minutes of use, I don't see a method to import my own background map. Am I missing it or is that a premium feature?

There is not a simple way to import a background map. It can be done but requires an outside program. I forget specific the process.

What maps do you need? The paid pro version has a TON of maps available. Everything from roads to topos to satellite, cell coverage, snowpack, USFS facilities, OHV roads, land ownership, blah blah blah.

It's really worth checking out the pro version. At about $2.95 a month it has a lot of useful features.

Route creation on the computer is fantastic. Route creation on the phone is pretty good but requires internet connection. However, once created and saved, no internet connection is needed.

Did my first real ride today with a track I made in Mappite and followed on OsmAnd on my Kyocera DFP2. Through city streets, back country roads and gravel roads in two state forests. I had to break the track into four segments since I wasn't sure which forest roads were open. One minor glitch on a back road that was probably from the point placement when making the track. Easy to see on phone and stay on track. All maps I looked at showed a road between the two state forests. It was there, but state game lands and looked to have been closed for some time. Just had to reroute 6 miles on 55MPH two lane road. Followed paper map for second forest until I found the road for the final leg. 5 hours and 120 miles. Very pleased with the way the ride went. I also have Gaia free if needed.

My Favorite workflow is to do all my planning at home on my desktop/big screen computer. I like Rever (Pro) for this. Pro (paid) version gets me all the Butler maps including the BDR's.
So on Rever.co (not .com) I light up all the Butler maps rated roads, paved mountain trails, lost highways, featured dirt roads. Then I light up the campgrounds, or gas stations, or lodging or food.
I can then just start dropping points on the roads I want to ride. If the dirt track is so remote that Rever won't snap to the line/trail I just click on the pencil button and draw lines over it until I get back to a stronger trail/road, and then resume dropping crumbs that snap to the road.
I do this right on top of the Butler highlighted roads, lost highways, featured dirt roads, etc. Hit save and I'm done. No uploading to a device if I am going to navigate from a phone. It's just magically already there on my phone.

I do however usually download the .gpx to my desktop, plug in my Garmin VI and just drag the file from my desktop into the Garmin. Done now with the tracks on my Garmin, and backed up on my phone Rever app in case my Garmin craps out.
I vastly prefer navigating by the Garmin over the phone for a couple reasons. Garmin is MUCH easier for me to see due to its screen and due to it's location on the bike. . . . . and I can use the wonder wheel to zoom in and out while riding.

I once drew out a route that put my group on 26 Butler maps Gold, Red and Orange roads in one day. I think it was about 250 miles of scenic, super twisty goodness.
It was easy to do with Rever. And super easy to share with other riders that had Rever on their phones.

It really is fantastically easy to use and effective. I'd like to try Gaia and Scenic as both are also fantastic. I just am not motivated to learn a different app since Rever works so dang well and partners perfectly with the Gamin. The Pro version is worth every darn cent.

Top Bottom Back Refresh