What's new

What did you do in your garage today?

I started putting this bad boy together, It is an 06 sprint ST with 06 (ish) zx6 forks

By next week engine should be in and ready to rock and roll :ricky
1668119061491.png

I started putting this bad boy together, It is an 06 sprint ST with 06 (ish) zx6 forks

By next week engine should be in and ready to rock and roll :ricky
1668119061491.png
needs mor knobbies LOL

Funny you mention that! Ive got a daytona with a DRZ front end thats going to be getting the knobbies !

Reactions: MVI
Cleaned out the shed, threw out a bunch of stuffs, including an old pool light w/cord.

Had the rest of the stuffs in boxes, ended up with a nice 4 plug shop cord.

1668379441265.png

Changed the oil in the lawnmower and snowblower and rearranged for winter. Also tested the kerosene tornado heater seeing as it is a balmy 25f outside.

Drug home a dead Frontier a few months back.

20221106_134146-L.jpg

Engine died at 390k. Looks like a rod committed suicide.

20220612123509137-M.jpg

A smashed Titan came home shortly after

20220904_150415-L.jpg

Took the Titan engine/trans and shoved it in to the Frontier. Other than figuring out the wiring (could have paid someone to do this, didn't lol) this was a super easy swap. Other than fab work for the exhaust, it is all OEM parts.

V6 vs V8

20220916_174411-L.jpg

In and running

20221026_192652-L.jpg

Now that the truck lives again, time to take care of the rust free bed :boid I literally asked the seller before driving to buy it if there was any rust at all I should know about and he said nope. Ugh.

20221104_173710-L.jpg

Bunch welding/grinding/sanding later. Still waiting on paint.

20221106_131926-L.jpg
I just got a earlier D22 Nissan navara dead project YD25 diesel engine typical turbo fail and oil run on failure, might fit VW SDI five cylinder NA diesel (AGX) engine i got here , Or Rebuild yd25 ( not got it home yet still sat in horse padlock) so not decided yet. And as for rust issues, The D22 Is not generally
Not as prone to Chassis issues as the D40 but same or marginally worse on the back tub rot sittuation. I am going with a Tray back body scraping the tub, it needs work to iner arches and side floor areas. I am of the opinion, A tray means Long term less potential welding and upkeep. Supose its down to what you want and exactly how much you have to repair or how much you hate repairing rot in tubs. In my case i hate it and hence going for a fabricated in house tray back.
1669427693744.png

1669427783671.png

Tray rather like this.

1669427892384.png

Last edited:
I just got a earlier D22 Nissan navara dead project YD25 diesel engine typical turb run on failiure, might fit VW SDI five cylinder NA diesel (AGX) , Or Rebuild yd25 ( not got it home yet still sat in horse padlock) so decided yet. as for rust issues, , Not as prone to Chassis issues as the D40 but same or marginaly worse on the back tub rot sittuation. I am going with a Tray back body scraping the tub, it needs work to iner arches and side floor areas. I am of the opinion, A tray means Long term less potential welding and upkeep. Supose its down to what you want and exactly how much you have to repair or how much you hate repairing rot in tubs. In my case i hate it and hence going for a fabricated in house tray back.

Tray rather like this.

I thought about doing a flat bed on this truck. Too many projects going on right now but if the rust comes around again I'll revisit the idea. Hard to find a mid-sized flat bed here in the US as they are mostly on full size trucks so it would probably be a build it from scratch type of project.

I thought flatbeds were the best thing ever, until I used one for a while. Something as simple as tossing a shovel or chainsaw in the back becomes a 5 minute untangle-the-straps-and-find-a-way-to-not-lose-this chore. Forget hauling gravel or sand. Definitely a specific use case type of tool. If you regularly haul something on pallets that gets loaded via fork lift then a flat bed is the boss, otherwise it's like carrying water in a sieve 😁

I thought about doing a flat bed on this truck. Too many projects going on right now but if the rust comes around again I'll revisit the idea. Hard to find a mid-sized flat bed here in the US as they are mostly on full size trucks so it would probably be a build it from scratch type of project.
Not common here either, Mine will be a self build for sure.
In My years in NZ i saw the double cabs with short tray backs, and liked the look and general purposeful nature of the tray.
I want Mine to be As Short as i can get it, without cutting anything from the bare chassis . But want the tow hitch level with the back.
Want it Super simple and light as possible, Will be truck cab body width and will have a lightship head frame but will be slightly inboard on the uprights and the top tube will be just over cab to clear anything i load no more, will be diagonal braced like the one in pic i posted, but dont want any uprights profiling the body line and catching wind, so in board and as light as poss.
floor will be 10mm aloy checker plate .
I dont want a fully welded steel floor and frame, its hard to prevent rust where the box section butt the floor plate and even if you persevere and paint and seal it properly, the floor is not replaceable without grinding cutting welding etc, aloy checker just use stainess bolts and rubber gaskets to stop it oxodizing and its repairable and the framework easy to repaint etc.

I thought flatbeds were the best thing ever, until I used one for a while. Something as simple as tossing a shovel or chainsaw in the back becomes a 5 minute untangle-the-straps-and-find-a-way-to-not-lose-this chore. Forget hauling gravel or sand. Definitely a specific use case type of tool. If you regularly haul something on pallets that gets loaded via fork lift then a flat bed is the boss, otherwise it's like carrying water in a sieve 😁
I get what you are saying, and trays are not for everyone.
I Have Plans for this truck to have a dis mountable camper body, and a basic ausie ute style canopy for ordinary camping.
Most of the time its Small bales the occasional oil drum or engines and machinery that's loaded by forklift .
as for sand and such, not planning on moving more than half a ton in such a small body I Have the Idea of Buying a cheap generic pickup crane
and making a frame for mounting it on the tow hitch frame. and use it for unloading para bags of sand gravel etc.
idea is to take it off most of time but have it if need be.
I have Been planning this build for a long time, was just waiting for the right truck to materialize and it did not a mile from home and for scrap money £200.

Last edited:
Re the above idea.
Looked at this idea and i think i like this idea more than my hitch mount and bolt to bed idea. This way ok its not there all the time like if your delivering gear constantly, but its weight off the truck during lifting and it can be used on say the hitch on the back of a car/ estate car etc not just truck. And at home a convenient post or even concrete a post in the ground in appropriate place and bot tow ball on posts and its usable anywhere. i like it, a portable sky hook without the need to get a vehicle next to it necessarily.
Make a Frame up and use a generic crane on it any where almost.

Here...

I think its a good idea, especialy for an old bloke like me or even a young bloke who watched old blokes like me wear themselves out humping heavy shit about .

I get what you are saying, and trays are not for everyone.
I Have Plans for this truck to have a dis mountable camper body, and a basic ausie ute style canopy for ordinary camping.
Most of the time its Small bales the occasional oil drum or engines and machinery that's loaded by forklift .
as for sand and such, not planning on moving more than half a ton in such a small body I Have the Idea of Buying a cheap generic pickup crane
and making a frame for mounting it on the tow hitch frame. and use it for unloading para bags of sand gravel etc.
idea is to take it off most of time but have it if need be.
I have Been planning this build for a long time, was just waiting for the right truck to materialize and it did not a mile from home and for scrap money £200.

I stuff my homemade crane made from scraps, into a standard sized gooseneck hitch, winch runs on a battery jump pack

1669469453412.png

comes in handy as hell to load the fat hogs

Last edited:
I skipped the first half of the video so maybe they explained why this is better than a plain old engine hoist.
Its not better than the typical engine crane, and the engine crane will probably be able to lift more at same money. The Little hydrailic Swivel post cranes do load and unload easy on truck beds, the engine crane is more awkward to move about. the hitch idea could be mounted or work off the ground as in video, and at £131, or £171 for the winch type its all there in a big heap built and designed to lift half ton then swing it round with nothing more than a bed frame foot mounting plate to fabricate or buy.
But You are right Engine crane will do that and some more including move stuff around up to a point which the hitch floor standing crane will simply load and unload and more work to set up.
Pross and cons to each and i think you have to have a need for some thing like this to warrant not utilizing an engine crane if you have one.

Top Bottom Back Refresh