What's new

What did you do in your garage today?

I agree Jim. I don't know how you find the time to post progressive pics of what you do. I took a bunch of pics, but always seem to have too much going on to sit down at end of day and post. How it looked last October after spending the summer emptying it
Image (2).jpeg

Bought a new to me trailer last weekend. Tie down points are non existent on this thing. My previous trailer had stake pockets and rub rails which were very handy.

I tried ordering weld on pockets but everybody kept saying oos until May for the cheap ones, but we will gladly sell you these identical ones for twice the price. No thanks.

Picked up 3/16" x 3" bar from the steel place today for $3/ft (ugh steel prices, still half the cost of home depot though).

Cut it in to 7" pieces then fed those to the press :D I've had a SWAG press brake for my press for years and this is basically the first project I've done with it :nah

20220218_183115-L.jpg

Nom nom nom

20220218_183307-L.jpg

11 done, need to lay them out and see how many I need in total edit looks like 14 will do the trick

20220218_193317-L.jpg

Last edited:
Started on the trailer rehab at the back end today. Chopped off the single tie down point on each side and the old light mount to make way for the stake pockets/rub rails and new housing to hold 6" oval/2" marker light

Original

20220220_150846-L.jpg

New

20220220_161039-L.jpg

Fresh rattle can black.

20220220_150859-L.jpg

2 tires are only about a year old and 2 are like 10 years old. Why replace just 2 if they were that old? I have a full set on order and will save the newer ones for spares. New wheels too as they are ugly :lol3

It has brakes on both axles. I pulled one off to see the condition and other than being full of spider webs it all looks good. Will repack the bearings and throw new seals at it for good measure on all 4 corners.

Recently bought second hand s1xr with missing tail bits. Pillion rider dislikes wet back. Fabbed a CF quick mount fender. Takes about minute and half to mount. Dead stable at speed. The mount blocks and struts are CF over white oak. Fender is three layers CF over two layers ten oz glass
C389A1B5-FE65-4648-BC46-C7B61E5A5B7F.jpeg
403D24AE-92C5-471B-948C-D540B762FF2A.jpeg

Fixturing the base of a friend's TV stand before the casting resin goes in... prev owner used the wrong screws thru the plate which broke out the plastic mounting feet. Finally used my big machinist blocks...

IMG_20220221_164902.jpg

Painted the legs for my wife’s new office furniture.
Then couldn’t help myself from mocking up the small end table.

The main desk is huge. It’ll take 3 guys to lift it into place. That’ll be Monday’s project.

Stoked with how it’s turning out.

But I’d totally forgot how much I dislike woodworking.

52FED490-5A8B-4191-8CA5-D665F7F12B7F.jpeg

41F45194-F2A2-4C4B-9A07-96E1E34CC613.jpeg

But I’d totally forgot how much I dislike woodworking.

Woodworking is a delight, if you have a dedicated shop space setup to do it. Like any other job, if you don’t have a dedicated space, it is more work. I think you need a second garage space to have a dedicated wood shop.

I enjoy woodworking and find it relaxing. It's a hobby now so no deadlines. My shop is too small so I have to rearrange at different stages of the project. I've been spoiled by growing up working in a production shop. I just take a break from it if I'm getting frustrated with lack of space. Current project is a corner cabinet out of solid poplar for a friend's log cabin. Long wall mining came thru a few years ago and with the settlement he restored it. Has stacks of rough sawn lumber from where they cleared and put in ventilation shafts. He wants the outside rough sawn. I'll have to stain and seal before gluing up panels. Pic at start of the project picking through boards and marking them
IMG_1668.jpeg

Woodworking is a delight, if you have a dedicated shop space setup to do it. Like any other job, if you don’t have a dedicated space, it is more work. I think you need a second garage space to have a dedicated wood shop.

I grew up with a woodworking dad. He had a big 40x60 shop. Just never clicked for me.
I sell wood stairs and railings professionally now. We have a 30,000 sq/ft shop. Still don’t like the actual woodworking.
I can spend hours in front of a metal lathe. Or working on an old bike, but dead tree carcasses never did it for me. I’m glad it does for some people. And the finished products are beautiful, but I’ll stick with metalworking and engines as a hobby.

I grew up with a woodworking dad. He had a big 40x60 shop. Just never clicked for me.
I sell wood stairs and railings professionally now. We have a 30,000 sq/ft shop. Still don’t like the actual woodworking.
I can spend hours in front of a metal lathe. Or working on an old bike, but dead tree carcasses never did it for me. I’m glad it does for some people. And the finished products are beautiful, but I’ll stick with metalworking and engines as a hobby.

Metal working is very similar for me. You need a good space. Instead of sawdust everywhere, you get grinding dust and metal shavings.

Metal working is very similar for me. You need a good space. Instead of sawdust everywhere, you get grinding dust and metal shavings.

Yup. I don’t know what it is. Maybe the lack of accuracy, or the unpredictability of the material, or just my lack of knowledge on jointery.
My best guess is it was being told as a 12 year old to stand on the other side of a wood planer and jointer for umpteen hours while dad made his own hardwood flooring from scratch and I just wanted to go play in the creek. Feel like I still haven’t recovered from that one. :lol3:lol3:lol3

Yup. I don’t know what it is. Maybe the lack of accuracy, or the unpredictability of the material, or just my lack of knowledge on jointery.
My best guess is it was being told as a 12 year old to stand on the other side of a wood planer and jointer for umpteen hours while dad made his own hardwood flooring from scratch and I just wanted to go play in the creek. Feel like I still haven’t recovered from that one. :lol3:lol3:lol3

The jointery is where a lot of people (myself included) struggle. Like most things, the more we work with it, the more familiar we get. Welding is easy, just cut the 2 parts so they butt against each other and then pull the trigger on the hot glue gun.

Me too. My father made some amazing stuff, a cradle for my baby daughter, cabinets and shelves and a gun cabinet and all sorts of other stuff. I never took to it, I'm barely adequate when I want to build something for my wife. Much rather work with engines and assemble-able parts. Wish I had the money and space for a lathe though, got to use one long ago at one of the Honda shops I worked at and it was fun.

Parked my new toy next to Bertha. Even kinda stacked shit up to make space for it 😂
20220223_154404.jpg

Not familiar with Bertha, but it looks like a handlebar hole in your painting curtain over the window opening... :-)

Did an idle reset on my mom’s Subaru as it was running a bit rough with the A/C on at traffic lights. It involved a lot of waiting as you start by disconnecting the battery waiting 30 mins, turn on ignition without starting, then turn on the engine, idling for 10 mins and more turning the thing on and off a time or two. It did make a huge difference and all is well now…
No pics on this job unless y’all want to see a wall clock…. :lol3

Last edited:
Worked on the Shadow for a bit. Filled it with oil and turned it over in hopes to hear it fire. No chance.

Instead, there's fluid leaking everywhere. Upon further investigation, the drain screw on one of the carb bowl's is not even there.

So now I have those on order .

Fuking Yamaha’s, man
Finished the fork rebuild, front wheel on. This damn thing is getting off my lift this week.
Sadly after the yammi, it’s VFR800 games.
Glad my shit doesn’t need lift time.
FB59B817-2FD3-4097-BF3B-516D205C75A9.jpeg

Top Bottom Back Refresh