What's new

What did you do in your garage today?

Disclaimer: I do not own a metal brake, only a big Wilton vise, a cutting wheel, a HF drill press and plenty of blocks of wood.

I set out to make a tach and power switch bracket for my drag bike project, started with this
NnrHtRv.jpg

Lots of finish grinding, hand-filing and wire brushing later
c8Ar7yP.jpg

tvHpk88.jpg

m7XioNz.jpg

VOpbFuM.jpg

5pz8veh.jpg

That bracket looks great.

I'd like to source some of the alum sheet you started with, do you have a PN and source code ?

:hide

Hold up. Drag bike project? In gonna need more info on that. You got a thread on it?
Yeah, but not here. https://www.vintagehondatwins.com/f...)-Budget-drag-bike-project-DOHC-450-of-course

If you join all the other pictures (not stored at Imgur) are fully visible. And no, you don't have to own a vintage Honda twin to be a member at VHT, lots of great people from all over this planet with plenty of other brands and sizes are among our currently 2001 members.

That's looks like work. LOL

What condition was the existing grease in?
it was OEM Honda Japan perfect after 6000 miles and a lot of hard use.

The white grease on the bearings was as is in the photo posted. I went back in with BelRay waterproof grease.

oem honda grease
1679788965948.png

belray re-greasing
1679788886512.png

MVI is currently running a special on the GPRs

Last edited:
it was OEM Honda Japan perfect after 6000 miles and a lot of hard use.

The white grease on the bearings was as is in the photo posted. I went back in with BelRay waterproof grease.

MVI is currently running a special on the GPRs
That has been my experience as well most of the time. Based on that experience I am probably a bad owner but I don't inspect and regrease most of the stuff you just took apart unless I am already working on that area for another reason. I would rather ride than wrench any day. Never been stranded by a catastrophic bearing failure.

I figured I was pretty deep into it already, so a few more steps was no big deal.
I don't think I'll ever be back into the neck on this CRF. The neck rarely gets submerged.

Next up I am pulling the swing arm, I do have my doubts about some of the places I have rode it.

quicksand.png

When my son graduated this winter and took a job 3 states away I gave him my car and took his piece of shit beater. Today is ball joint day. Fortunately an entire new lower control arm with ball joint and new bushings is only $45 because I bent the shit out of this one when I went midieval on it's ass with a sledge hammer to get it out of the knuckle.

PXL_20230328_161606103.jpg

Last edited:
20160707_185256.jpg

Junior took a more practical approach. Yes, that's nearly 90 degree bend he put in it. Ripped out the halfshaft, destroyed the wheel, strut and block skirt.

Making Progress on the CRF refresh....

Pulled the new LED lights out of the box and had the oh SNAP moment.
No Hardware or Brackets.
I recall I did get a discount at Amazon because it was missing the HW kit.

So out comes the 0.125" thick ALUM strap

easy peasy

ScreenHunter_3899 Mar. 31 17.57.jpg
1680303872197.png

ScreenHunter_3901 Mar. 31 18.23.jpg

Last edited:
how did you mange to rip the Valve stem out ?
The coat hanger yanked it out..I have done this a 1000 times at the trailer shop with proper tools but I didn't want the leftover peice of rubber rolling around in the tire.

This did not equal a good trailside fix. The quick install stem or squeezing a stem through the wrong way might be more ideal. Resetting the bead was the issue. So yes ..I replaced a valve stem properly with the wheel on the bike with ratchet straps and a block of wood. But I needed to ratchet strap the tire to set the bead. This was very enlightening. I now need to test the wrong way..The back tire stem is rotted too for testing.

So much for tubeless unless ya carry the pricey high dollar quick install stems. Once the bead is broken good luck trailside. Ya I know about ether and flammable inflation...ugh

Oh sorry the valve stems rotted out. I touched the stem and heard the air leak. Replace every tire change for no issues.

Well, I parked the finished roller off to the side again while I work on my CB900F putting a stock airbox back on it (had crappy pods when I bought it, had a forum friend rebuild the carbs for me and put stock jets back in them) and start on the engine for the drag bike project soon.

It's ready for a powerplant.
Mo5fX9F.jpg

5WJfQUI.jpg

next to the stock wheelbase bike, the CB650 swingarm and rear wheel will make this version 2.0 much better

MtQYG1j.jpg

This was yesterday and nothing motorcycle related.

F250 failed inspection for rear brake lines. The two rubber lines from the body to the axle failed. I bought the new setup, but those brackets were going to be a can of worms if I tried ripping into them. Yanked the brake lines, installed new rubber lines, and the old ones are still there. I'll tackle that at a later date.

Caliper was sticking in the dad-wagon. its also making a squeaking/creaking sound over bumps. clean up the brakes, they look good. checking fittings and stuff, the god damned bolts holding the k-frame to the car were finger tight. the k-frame was the first and only time I paid someone else to do it. I locked those down and that noise is fixed. that's why I do my own work when I can.

Bought a Grand Vitara. Needs a bit of tinkering. Water was leaking in around the antenna on the roof. Sealed that all up so it should be good. Tires and brakes are on the way. few minor interior things and a deep clean inside it should be all set.

That was just yesterday.

I did a tie rod in the wagon the other day. took 30m to do. shop wanted $500. I ordered the other side so I'll knock that out before I get an alignment.

I haven't even touched the bikes yet.

Top Bottom Back Refresh