What's new

What did you do in your garage today?

Well that brake job went sideways real quick.

Apparently Ford Factory brake lines have a coating or something on them. I can't fit a standard 3/16 flare nut over them. Hell, I can't even flare the tube. Its this weird coated stuff.

Spent all night under the truck in the muddy snow removing the factory lines to the closest metal union. Finally got the unions undone and just slung up some 3/16 steel tubing to the rubber lines in the back for the night. Headed back under the truck tonight to see about how to run the lines. Factory, they run along the frame rails, but the fuel tank blocks all access. My only real option to flop the brake lines up over the fuel tank.

I'm about ready to just stick to fixing motorcycles. This laying in the muddy snow at 11pm in 30º weather covered in brake fluid, fighting rust, fittings, and smashing my head is getting old.

At least Ford coated the lines. My 06 Chevy lines rotted out below the M/C down at the frame rail. They keep skirting the recall laws due to the different marques in use that keep the defect count below trigger points. Snaking those rears over the tank w/o pulling the bed was an exercise in patience. I think it took me 7 nights of lying underneath the damn thing to get all of them replaced. I'd love to have 5 min alone with the fuckwit engineer that decided bare steel lines would be a good idea on a vehicle designed for harsh environments. This after the transmission lines rotted out the year before. I thought that was bad job, until I lost the brakes.

Neighbor had been watching You tubes about his Kawasaki Mule and found out there is a huge space under the seat and asked for some FAB help. Kawi makes a kit, and lots of knock offs on amazon, knock offs are still $180 bucks for the kit.

I made a couple of cross braces out of scrap, and wife painted them.

1680824801987.png

added some M6 Riv-nuts

1680824884293.png

bolted them in

1680824959580.png

$2o Bin from Cabela's drops right in

1680825073974.png

flip the lid for a short shelf

1680825126192.png

Brakes are in. That was a shit show. It started pouring out half way through, so I tightened everything up and bled it all. I still need to snap it in place and bend it around a little to pick up the slack. That sort of thing. Used the copper nickel stuff. But its all tight and no leaks. Truck stops just fine.

Front pinion seal is shot. I'm going to let someone with a lift, giant gear puller, and a big impact take care of that. Probably the same place that is going to do the alignment. There are smaller jobs on the other vehicles I can take care of in the meantime.

17 yo band saw was throwing blades.

Took the thing apart and found some significant wear on the adj Wheel guide plates.

Made some shims, lubed in all the right places, and it seems to work again.

Several test cuts on sq an round tubing for the win

1680997441383.png

Busy say off over her, planned out where I wanted tie downs and side rails for the trailer, Cerkote the truck badge since it was looking pretty rough and the chrome sticker was falling apart, somehow got this bleed nipple out stupid easy and finished getting the front brakes on the sprint bled, got this absurdly huge shackle finished up and put together, and somehow in all that actually got the garage cleaned up nicely:super
8W3WYAX-X-lta&_nc_ad=z-m&_nc_cid=0&_nc_ht=scontent.jpg
64NIQAX9fGV4y&_nc_ad=z-m&_nc_cid=0&_nc_ht=scontent.jpg
Y4Un8AX-YCXiW&_nc_ad=z-m&_nc_cid=0&_nc_ht=scontent.jpg
b3wqcAX9CK1pe&_nc_ad=z-m&_nc_cid=0&_nc_ht=scontent.jpg

All I got done was new locks everywhere on the shop

1681471662532.png

Spent some time admiring my new JIS screwdriver set.
The Old Motion Pro T handle set did not last long ( wore out, cheaply made )

Gotta have the right tool for the JOB !

1681471700933.png

Had a lazy morning today, built my first Glock 19 from scratch and then salvaged an AR lower that had the trigger pin holes a little out of alignment. was able to widen the hole to where it needed to be and then locked in place with an anti walk set. Now I just need the time to go test them both out :super

Top Bottom Back Refresh