What's new

What did you do in your garage today?

Lathe is the best tool money I ever spent. I regret putting it off so long. I had a hard time justifying spending money for such a specialized tool, but I was wrong. This thing gets used constantly. The only thing that gets used more often in the shop is the workbench and lights.

Reactions: MVI
// I needs to get a lathe, that is a nice set up
Gotta love lathe dogs :) I've only used dogs on my lathe a couple times, but quite often on a cylindrical grinder- lots of work goes between centers on that. Sometimes its helpful to tape the dog's "tail" against the driving chuck jaw, to avoid it bouncing around if there are interrupted cuts or lots of starting and stopping.

Last year I did some surveying and sorting in an abandoned 30's marine diesel manufacturer, all the lathes were left with their tooling; they used a lot of dogs- both machines had a number of them.

Lathe is the best tool money I ever spent. I regret putting it off so long. I had a hard time justifying spending money for such a specialized tool, but I was wrong. This thing gets used constantly. The only thing that gets used more often in the shop is the workbench and lights.
Which lathe do you have ?

Gotta love lathe dogs :) I've only used dogs on my lathe a couple times, but quite often on a cylindrical grinder- lots of work goes between centers on that. Sometimes its helpful to tape the dog's "tail" against the driving chuck jaw, to avoid it bouncing around if there are interrupted cuts or lots of starting and stopping.

Last year I did some surveying and sorting in an abandoned 30's marine diesel manufacturer, all the lathes were left with their tooling; they used a lot of dogs- both machines had a number of them.
There is something fun about using them. I figured since this sharpening setup is going to be swapped in and out, and it's whole purpose is to be quick, then running it between centers made sense. I'll eventually mill up a permanent aluminum dog to weld on this mandrel so I won't have to go scrounging for multiple parts when it's time to use the tool.

Which lathe do you have ?
It's a Sheldon Model L with the overhead drive. The bull gear has been crashed and is basically destroyed. Not enough left to even pattern a new gear. Power feeds and everything else work like new, but it only has gears to cut Imperial threads. I love it. Pretty long bed, I think around 44". With a deadman in place I've built a few driveshafts without much fuss. That's a pretty satisfying job to be able to handle at home.

IMG_20221003_125628122_HDR.jpg

I really ought to replace the belt. The original belt snapped on me about 10 yrs ago ( not bad for 1942 leather) so I took the belt from around my waist and finished the job. Damn thing just keeps running tho! But I do miss the tick tick tick of the staple joint going round and round. With a good sharp hss tool it'll still take an 80 thou cut in aluminum before the belt starts slipping, so not high on the list for me.

IMG_20221002_180110388_HDR.jpg

It's a Sheldon Model L with the overhead drive. The bull gear has been crashed and is basically destroyed. Not enough left to even pattern a new gear. Power feeds and everything else work like new, but it only has gears to cut Imperial threads. I love it. Pretty long bed, I think around 44". With a deadman in place I've built a few driveshafts without much fuss. That's a pretty satisfying job to be able to handle at home.

I really ought to replace the belt. The original belt snapped on me about 10 yrs ago ( not bad for 1942 leather) so I took the belt from around my waist and finished the job. Damn thing just keeps running tho! But I do miss the tick tick tick of the staple joint going round and round. With a good sharp hss tool it'll still take an 80 thou cut in aluminum before the belt starts slipping, so not high on the list for me.

Sheldon's are good stuff- great & classic smaller lathe. I had a Sheldon horizontal mill for quite a while- very well designed and built; still had an Air Force tag on it. I'd still have it but the envelope was a bit too small for what I needed, so I traded for some bridgeport stuff.

A good belt will get you doing a lot better than 80 thou :)

lol, I have the same hydraulic press- does yours also have a twisted table? :lol2

Sheldon's are good stuff- great & classic smaller lathe. I had a Sheldon horizontal mill for quite a while- very well designed and built; still had an Air Force tag on it. I'd still have it but the envelope was a bit too small for what I needed, so I traded for some bridgeport stuff.

A good belt will get you doing a lot better than 80 thou :)

lol, I have the same hydraulic press- does yours also have a twisted table? :lol2
The table is actually alright but the bulkhead across the top is bowed. It can be annoying at times but it continues to get the job done.

The table is actually alright but the bulkhead across the top is bowed. It can be annoying at times but it continues to get the job done.

Still have mine for the same reason, though i've not used it recently since I got the screw press. Probably will give it away when the right chance comes along, sure could use the.space...

Today was new tire day for the old Sportster, apparently when the old tires have been on for 7-11 years you need to cut them off. Fought with the front for awhile until the saw came out, thankfully the rear was a breeze. She finally turns and isnt skittish everywhere :ricky

I finally got around to building a lift platform for my bikes using my automotive Quickjacks. I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out, but it was a shocking education about the stupid high prices of lumber and hardware bits. Supreme budget blowout. Ha. And you know how it is with projects like this -- design, re-design, change here, re-do there. Mission creep from what was going to be a simple and crude platform to obsessive make-work tasks like routing and inlaying the diamond tread instead of just screwing it on top. Of course, that kind of attention to detail gave me to opportunity to buy and crack a router blade, and then go back and buy a second one. Like I said, budget blowout.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

Drug home a dead Frontier a few months back.

20221106_134146-L.jpg

Engine died at 390k. Looks like a rod committed suicide.

20220612123509137-M.jpg

A smashed Titan came home shortly after

20220904_150415-L.jpg

Took the Titan engine/trans and shoved it in to the Frontier. Other than figuring out the wiring (could have paid someone to do this, didn't lol) this was a super easy swap. Other than fab work for the exhaust, it is all OEM parts.

V6 vs V8

20220916_174411-L.jpg

In and running

20221026_192652-L.jpg

Now that the truck lives again, time to take care of the rust free bed :boid I literally asked the seller before driving to buy it if there was any rust at all I should know about and he said nope. Ugh.

20221104_173710-L.jpg

Bunch welding/grinding/sanding later. Still waiting on paint.

20221106_131926-L.jpg

Last edited:
Drug home a dead Frontier a few months back.

20221106_134146-L.jpg

Engine died at 390k. Looks like a rod committed suicide.

20220612123509137-M.jpg

A smashed Titan came home shortly after

20220904_150415-L.jpg

Took the Titan engine/trans and shoved it in to the Frontier. Other than figuring out the wiring (could have paid someone to do shit, didn't lol) this was a super easy swap. Other than fab work for the exhaust, it is all OEM parts.

V6 vs V8

20220916_174411-L.jpg

In and running

20221026_192652-L.jpg

Now that the truck lives again, time to take care of the rust free bed :boid I literally asked the seller before driving to buy it is there was any rust at all I should know about and he said nope. Ugh.

20221104_173710-L.jpg

Bunch welding/grinding/sanding later. Still waiting on paint.

20221106_131926-L.jpg
sounds efforty.

Good on you to make it all work !

Always keep an eye out for deals, but wife mentioned wanting a wood lathe over the weekend. Stumbled across this today. Fifty bucks, came with the table.

Nothing fancy, but it'll do 12" diameter and about 32" in length. I love the common sense simplicity of these designs. I definitely don't need a several hundred pound wood lathe with a cast iron bed akin to an engine lathe.
IMG_20221109_153151937.jpg

Im the high bidder on an old Southbend 9B at the moment. No one has upped the bid for a while, and the auction ends NOV 16.

Dead Simple, Lots of tooling, should be a nice addition to the shop. Well that is if I win the auction.

Don't post it on the internet in a garage thread!! 😁

Reactions: MVI
Top Bottom Back Refresh