What's new

What did you do to your BMW GS/GSA Today?

Helped a friend with his GS. Both intake cams were starting to eat themselves. Small ridges on them, and the hardened surface was delaminating.

Swapped out both intake cams and checked the valve clearances, in spec. I also did the can timing check and adjust while I was there. Goth it in tope dead center, locked the motor and pulled it apart.
TuKZQN.jpg
ga5goy.jpg
5jRvti.jpg
0M5fjm.jpg
R7X4M0.jpg
0BHVco.jpg
9BC6Fx.jpg
Dozi66.jpg
ioKGsC.jpg
lvsYl3.jpg

Once done we changed the oil and lubed the rear splines at the final drive.

After seeing that a new P3 rear light is going for $180ish, I decided to pull one I had on the r1200. I hooked it up to a EzCan harness I had laying around. Works like a champ. I left off the P3 module and went with what ezCan programming had to offer. I don't get the flicker going down the road now. I was starting to think it just gets on other drivers nerves, especially in stop and go traffic!

The EzCan has four flash then full bright setting. I also set it so it's not going off below 20kmh. And people think I'm a asshole, well I'll get some karma points back.
20220327_170342.jpg

20220327_170355.jpg

^^The flicker wouldn't bother me but one light lower than the other would drive me nuts!

^^The flicker wouldn't bother me but one light lower than the other would drive me nuts!
Winner winner... I was just waiting to see who was going to notice that! lol The bolts are still loose, I ran out of garage time as the House Commander had another excellent meal ready!

I just wistfully looked at mine as riding this weekend is going to be a no-no due to weather.... We are also experiencing some serious wildfires in the "Glades and ash is raining down everywhere..... :bluduh

Keyed up a new set of panniers this morning. Took me 1.5 hrs. I was watching Moto Giant vids on YT while taking my time. Once I got the first barrel keyed the other five went quick.

20220408_111528.jpg

If it makes you feel any better, I once took a set of BMW panniers to the dealer to have them re-key them. It took a very experienced parts guy almost 45 minutes to accomplish the task and he does it all the time.

I did a cheap ass epoxy repair of my cheap ass Chinese winglet.
1649776742902.png

In the process I noticed that the clear coating on the original ss braided clutch cable of my 92k mile '07 GSA is cracking and falling apart.
1649776946897.png

Time to replace the clutch cable or ride on?

I leaning to just ride on.

Last edited:
I did a cheap ass epoxy repair of my cheap ass Chinese winglet!
1649776742902.png

In the process I noticed that the clear coating on the original clutch cable of my '07 GSA is cracking and falling apart.
1649776946897.png

Time to replace the clutch cable or ride on?
I would replace maybe not ASAP but soon. It is going to allow water through the braid and I would imagine rust? I am not sure of all the metal's compositions including the connections on each end, but water and dissimilar metals have a way of biting you in the rump when you least expect it.

You now have me curious as to what it takes to replace that clutch cable. Need to look it up.

On a good note, it is a important reminder to us to check our brake and clutch cables a little more closely on our services.

Well got into my 24 K today.

Started with valves and cam alignment check. Held my breath as I removed covers and was happy to see my cam lobes still there!

Oil and filter change. Liqui Moly 5-40 Will change FD fluid with same brand FD oil. One thing I don't understand is BMW on the oil check. Not sure why they would not incorporate a dip stick rather then a site glass? I mean bring to temp, let sit for 5 mins, then check sight glass. I mean yes I set a timer on my phone and it is repeatable using a timer but why am I doing that in this day and age? Anyway it took a bit over 4 Liters to get 3/4 in the red center circle at the 5 min mark. I do pre fill my filter and allow it to sit before I spin it on but I dont fill it to the top of the hole, I just want the pleats saturated on that first start. I can only guess that since I had covers off do get a bit out of the left side, cam chain tension out and dry, and the bike drained as I was doing the valves and cam check.

Jim have you seen this a bit over 4 liters to fill? My experience on this bike is every time it takes more then 4 liter. Is it just a math thing quarts to liters?

Put some Iridium NGK plugs in to "replace" stock and we will see. I ran them in my RT and no issues. These OEM plugs looked as new that I took out, but my experience is for the cost, replace them no matter how they look.

So with my 24K I will remove all calipers and take the pads out, clean the pucks and all slide pins and points, high temp copper grease on those pins and slide parts and a brake bleed with the GS-911 and a IV bag on the installed speed bleeders. Easy peazy.

While off for caliper clean, will have new sneakers put on front and rear.

I will remove my shifter and linkage and clean and lube all points and cups and the shifter bushing and and will do the brake pedal also. If you have never done this and have some miles on you will be amazed on how different it feels.

Will use the penny trick to hold my center stand springs and side stand spring and clean and lube those pivot points on both stands. Also side stand switch look over.

Have a new battery to install 5 years on this one and I just will do it. I hate it but with all the goodies comes power consumption and battery's just don't seem to last these days. Would rather be proactive then looking for one at the worst possible time.

Updated the ezCAN as I am a beta tester and that takes a bit to do and you need a internet connection. Used my phone as a mobile hot spot and that worked really well. I then need to preform tests for functionality and send log files and stuff to them.

Also updated the GS-911 Pro. That program interface has changed a bunch since I used it last. Ran a Auto scan to save for records. Reset the Service Reminder. I will use more of it when I do the brake bleed as far as tests and function items I do every service.

Best day I have spent in months! Love spinning those wrenches and knowing stuff is done right with care and accuracy.

The boxer engine won't support a dipstick in the traditional way. As for adding oil, just dump in 4 liters and call it good.

Top Bottom Back Refresh