What's new

What did you do to your BMW GS/GSA Today?

Tomorrow the bike is off the the dealer for the annual brake fluid change. I have them do it, since they hook the bike up to the mothership's 'puter and will do updates as needed too. Yes, I can do the brakes myself with the GS911 etc but for $60 I'm not going to break a sweat in my own garage.

The dealer also ordered the new driveshaft as part of the "recall" campaign. It's a good thing I lubed both ends a year or so ago, so they shouldn't have any issues pulling the old shaft out without having to remove the swing-arm......

Got the brakes done and it was $90 …. ( inflation you know :-) ) but that’s fine too as they work a bit better as well. Also set up an appointment for the new drive shaft week after next. The dealer told us that they had one 1250 Adv that required a new FD as well. Apperently the shaft had corroded so bad it had welded itself into a solid unremovable blob on the FD, and that with only 14K miles on the bike… :eek7

I‘m so happy I took the time to take it all apart on the two bikes( brother and me) we have in the stable, before this misery could happen. Both bikes will be an easy job for the guys in the shop… I guess the old adage of an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure is quite true..

Last edited:
Yesterday I brought my GSA in for the driveshaft replacement per the BMW program. It took the mechanic about 45 minutes to replace the shaft and drill the hole for the drain plug in the swing arm. I asked if they would lube up the whole assembly like I had done to the old shaft and they did.
The mechanic told me that this was the easiest bike he worked on since I already had lubed up everything about 2 years ago. There was no rust on anything which didn't surprise me.
When I looked in the workshop they had a pile of rusted and broken driveshafts laying around making me wonder what and if anything changed, since the part numbers apparently haven't...
Anyway it was short and pleasant..

I cheated on my '07 GSA. The wife and I just returned from a visit to Germany and Ireland and we stopped to see the BMW Welt museum.

I haven't kept up with the new models and I thought the new GS was going to be a 1300 but they only had the 1250 on display in München. At 6'-5" and 250 pounds I make every bike look small.:lol3
1665830233425.png

Today I replaced the rear Dunlop TMM after 19.5K miles.... I still have a lot left on the front tire and am wondering if I should put the new one on as well...
New and old rear tire. I can't believe the miles I got out of this set....

IMG_0198.jpeg

I cheated on my '07 GSA. The wife and I just returned from a visit to Germany and Ireland and we stopped to see the BMW Welt museum.

I haven't kept up with the new models and I thought the new GS was going to be a 1300 but they only had the 1250 on display in München. At 6'-5" and 250 pounds I make every bike look small.:lol3
1665830233425.png
My daughter and I visited the BMW museum in July. Quite the place!
Europe motorcycle trip.jpg

Deliberately rode it 100k's in the rain to my favourite coffee shop in the stixs to try out the stackability of the Angel 2's. Very nice, no step-outs which is always welcome.

Well I decided to replace the front tire as well so baby has new shoes! 😁
The 'old' tires owed me nothing after two cross country trips and 19.5K miles..
I did somewhat "forget" what an absolute PITA Dunlop TMM's are to dismount and mount on the rims..... But some sweat equity and good tire irons spooned them off and on in relative short order.
The only use the No-Mar got was the bead breaker. I can't seem to keep the rims tight enough (without damaging the rims) to use the rest of the machine with these tires, since the sidewalls are incredibly stiff.
If anyone 'played' with these Dunlops, you know what I mean...

IMG_0199.jpeg
IMG_0200.jpeg

Well today I just had to ride as we have spectacular weather and managed to put the bike a tick over the 50K mile mark. First the obligatory palindrome pic… :smile6
5A97F0C9-0977-4D10-A0BF-E992F159FCF1.jpeg

Next the 50K mile photo…. Did it while my phone was in its bracket as we were hauling @$$ back home..

80EE8CFC-F2EA-4E8A-A62C-E385088BD6AB.jpeg

Today I replaced the rear Dunlop TMM after 19.5K miles.... I still have a lot left on the front tire and am wondering if I should put the new one on as well...
New and old rear tire. I can't believe the miles I got out of this set....

IMG_0198.jpeg
If you install the new one, you'll like riding the bike a lot better. Round is good.

Still having issues with my '07 GSA. I suspect that I had multiple problems and I have eliminated some of them and it currently will only start every now and then. When it doesn't start I don't hear the fuel pump and won't crank, when it does start I hear the fuel pump and it fires right up.

New fuel pump controller, new starter and new battery. I'm thinking that it has to be a bad ground. I've cleaned the battery terminals and tried to follow the ground cable but it goes into a cluster of cables that go to some deep dark place towards the front of the engine have been trying to avoid but probably need to dig into.

Am I on the right track?
Here's something to check...Did you install bar-backs or mess with the handlebars? The switch units unplug. Take the one off with the kill switch and check around there...Mine came apart and bike would not start sometimes. ....always try the easy stuff first!

Well today I just had to ride as we have spectacular weather and managed to put the bike a tick over the 50K mile mark. First the obligatory palindrome pic… :smile6
5A97F0C9-0977-4D10-A0BF-E992F159FCF1.jpeg

Next the 50K mile photo…. Did it while my phone was in its bracket as we were hauling @$$ back home..

80EE8CFC-F2EA-4E8A-A62C-E385088BD6AB.jpeg
Too bad it wasn't 74 degrees outside!

Too bad it wasn't 74 degrees outside!
It was 70 something early in the AM when we left, but this time of the year it warms up quickly after 11 AM or so… Another few weeks and it will stay in the 70’s….

Well I decided to replace the front tire as well so baby has new shoes! 😁
The 'old' tires owed me nothing after two cross country trips and 19.5K miles..
I did somewhat "forget" what an absolute PITA Dunlop TMM's are to dismount and mount on the rims..... But some sweat equity and good tire irons spooned them off and on in relative short order.
The only use the No-Mar got was the bead breaker. I can't seem to keep the rims tight enough (without damaging the rims) to use the rest of the machine with these tires, since the sidewalls are incredibly stiff.
If anyone 'played' with these Dunlops, you know what I mean...
I had some problems with BMW rims with the New to me No Mar that I picked up. I got the thicker bobbins and that seamed to have helped keep the rim in place.

Top Bottom Back Refresh