What's new

What did you do to your BMW (not model specific) today?

ADV+
Member Number
I really enjoy seeing everyone’s mods and services on their GS/GSA bikes and thought I would start a thread for the rest of the BMW bikes. I changed the oil and FD fluid on my 08 RT. Waiting to hear back from Clearwater lights regarding wiring instructions for my dimmer switch. My old one seemed to have a short and was temporarily fixed via bailing wire and a Leatherman. I ordered a new dimmer and I have non matching wiring. /attachments/65152d97-c620-4156-b056-743cbd267c79-jpeg.14102/?hash=4a1c91b4dcdb48a7a3f2b74cedc25f47
C9B1B884-56D2-4B26-99A3-9C2885ACB4F5.jpeg
63C95052-447A-45FE-88A7-EFC2D663BCEC.jpeg
68243492-B24C-4DD3-AE9B-13B35D85E8D3.jpeg

I am a huge Clearwater fan, and even have a dealer license, but never liked the dimmer switches/rheostat. They are just not too reliable. I do like the Canopener. It does look like the newer rheostat is better though.

I believe this is one of the original dinners too. The replacement is a lot more robust.

Welcome to late middle age! :-):gerg
Uh, I'm well past middle age, Jim. Well not that far past but enough to not be able to read a friggin' thing unless I have reading glasses with me. I used to have one pair of them but now have reading glasses in the living room, kitchen, man cave, bedroom, one each in my truck and SUV and one each for the two bikes. :jjen

Uh, I'm well past middle age, Jim. Well not that far past but enough to not be able to read a friggin' thing unless I have reading glasses with me. I used to have one pair of them but now have reading glasses in the living room, kitchen, man cave, bedroom, one each in my truck and SUV and one each for the two bikes. :jjen
Hey, 60 is the new 40, and 70 is the new 50, so upper middle age works for me at 58.:-)

Recently I decided to upgrade the lighting on my K1100LT.

First up get rid of the yellow halogen and replace with a blazing white LED.
led headlight.JPG
headlight done.JPG

That was sorted nicely. The cluster lights required more work. Off with the windshield and motor, then get the cluster out not the easiest job, just a lot of hand working the little Allen wrench.
Before ...
before.JPG

Doesn't look too bad in the dark garage. Here is the comparison. LED bulb on the left, old incandescent unit on the right.
oldandnew.JPG

litup.JPG

The after shot. Using many fewer electrons and nice a bright. Honestly I had no idea that my clock had a bulb in it! Oh yeah, I had no idea that my gauges had light in them either, both had been burned out.
gauge.JPG

The lighting kit cost $55 for all the LEDs and the LED headlight was $24. Very happy with the outcome.

24k Service today.

Engine oil and filter
Gearbox oil
Final drive oil
Shaft spline lube
Throttle body balance
Plugs
Air filter
Brake flush
General check of all items

Feels good!

oh ya.... Also installed the new Touratech Expedition rear shock. Probably do the front one tomorrow. Gotta pull the tank for that one so gonna take a little time.

OJYMcpCNTJ2IdXmzItJYhw.jpg

Brake fluid flush and changed to Pentosyn Dot 4 LV. GS-911 ABS procedure. 1,000 miles on the new Trailmax Missions. They handle well on the road, and worked really well on the forest roads which were recently graded and fresh gravel in spots. Much more confidence inspiring than the Trailsmarts prior to these. You can feel a small amount of vibration on the road, not objectionable, but noticeable. Fair trade for the greatly improved off road handling. Oh, 2014 GS.

Did a flapperectomy today. Glad to be rid of the extra crap. Put in a straight pipe section to eliminate the flapper altogether.

Back
Top Bottom