What's new
  • If you don't frequent the chat forum, make sure you read this post regarding land usage. It would be great if we could get everybody to send a comment in before Oct 7th!

What have you 3D printed today.

Amos Malone

Member Number
My attempt to try to get Givi tankbag to fit CRF250 Rally. Jury is still out if it works realistically.

Screenshot 2022-04-16 at 15.04.33.png

For Honda owners that have 3D printers. Honda has issued takedown notice to all 3D STL file repositories and want all parts that even mention Honda and their brands removed. Printables has already removed everything and the other big ones confirm having received that notice.
So download today anything you wish to print for Honda. And write to your Honda dealer and complain.

Last edited:

JohnQ

Member Number
Give it 6 months.
All those files will be back with a new name. The files are being tagged because nobody had the good fuking sense to misname these things to begin with.
H0nda, not Honda. Do folks not realize names are trademarked?

Honda is really gonna struggle with making 3D printed anything go away.
The stl files are not Honda IP, only the name.

Amos Malone

Member Number
The problem with H0nda, and other forms of leetspeak, is that it makes the part invisible to search engines. I changed descriptions for my parts, and renamed the files with "andoH", but that is just a delaying tactic until this has been figured out.
It's a complicated case and lot of it is in a grey area. There are 3 very different laws covering the issue. Patent law, trademark law and copyright law. You are allowed to design a part (your IP) and refer to Honda in the description of the part. "will fit Honda(tm)". You are not allowed to refer to it in a way that implies said part comes from Honda. "Honda part".
You are (usually) allowed to design a part that has similar function. You are (usually) not allowed to copy a part directly unless it is patented and the patent has expired.
Honda can trademark "CRF 250 Rally" but they cannot strictly speaking trademark "CRF", "250" or "Rally" without being challenged. 2 trademarks for the same name are allowed as long as they are not competing with each other. The Apple (computer company) vs. Apple (music publishing company) was an interesting case. No conflict until Apple (computer company) started to sell music online. Then the older Apple (music publishing company) sued and demanded Apple (computer company) stopped trading under that name. Then iTunes came into existence (more or less, I'm certain I'm not remembering some parts correctly).
Printables decided to comply with the letter from Honda lawyers and not challenge it. Thingiverse still hasn't deleted the files. It's not known if that is because they haven't gotten around to it, or if they plan to do something so they don't have to.
As I understand it the takedown notice from Honda lawyers is too broad and in that sense not legal. But the case could drag on for a long time and the only people who'd profit are the lawyers.

Last edited:

Pupsocket

Melodiously Tooteling
Member Number
A few years ago I bought a DJI Osmo Action camera, similar to the GoPro line.

After searching for 3rd party chin mounts, I decided to design my own. Here's how I went about it, from measuring the helmet to CAD design to printing options and finishing.

I used a contour gauge to capture vertical and horizontal sections of the chin of my helmet. I captured the curves, then took carefully aligned pictures that included the gauge's ruler for later scaling in CAD.

20210106_220706-jpg.jpg

20210106_220733-jpg.jpg

I use Autodesk Inventor, software I work with every day doing that what puts motorcycles on me dinner table.

I inserted a photo into CAD, scaled to actual size, created a spline curve of 1/2 of the profile, then mirrored it. The curve doesn't quite match the contour gauge, as I had to fine-tune the shape until the fit was good enough.

spline-curve-jpg.jpg

Created the helmet mating surface by sweeping the curve above, here shown in red, along the vertical arc, shown in green:
1651554761499.png

Created a shell of the mating surface 1/8" thick:
1651555112782.png

Trimmed so the front view of the mount is an oval:
3-png.png

This short riser...
4-png.png

... provides a base for a loft, which blends the mount into a stronger shape in the center:
download (2).png

The beginnings of the GoPro-style clamp:
download (3).png

Blending makes it purdy but also stronger:
download (4).png

Clamp features complete:
download (5).png

Some final tweaks and the CAD work is complete:
download (6).png

I initially printed a few prototypes using a typical FDM consumer-type 3d printer, used to adjust the fit.

I ended up getting the model professionally printed in an SLS process: selective laser sintering, where a bed of powdered glass-reinforced nylon is melted with a laser layer by layer. This produces a very strong part, though the surface is a bit rough and porous. After finish-sanding with cloth backed 220 grit, I went straight to rattle-can white enamel paint, letting it dry 24 hours before sanding and recoating. I gave it four coats and let it dry a few days.

Final attachment was using clear Gorilla mounting tape. It's not perfect, but for a kid who never liked to paint his plastic model cars, it didn't turn out too bad.

download (10).jpeg
download (11).jpeg

Amos Malone

Member Number
This is a nice design.

I like the DJI Osmo. A friend from Hong Kong was using a handheld one when visiting. That gimbal system is amazing in stabilization. She just waved the camera around and the videos were rock steady. Have you looked at the Action 2 version? It looks pretty good on paper.

My software of choice is OpenSCAD. It seems to be the only 3D modeling software I can get to work without having to fight it all the time. :-)

Pupsocket

Melodiously Tooteling
Member Number
This is a nice design.

I like the DJI Osmo. A friend from Hong Kong was using a handheld one when visiting. That gimbal system is amazing in stabilization. She just waved the camera around and the videos were rock steady. Have you looked at the Action 2 version? It looks pretty good on paper.

My software of choice is OpenSCAD. It seems to be the only 3D modeling software I can get to work without having to fight it all the time. :-)
I haven't yet looked at the Action 2 camera. [email protected] is 2x the framerate.

I'm fortunate to have access to full-fledged 3d software, just wish it was Solidworks :D

Latest widget is a mount for a small thermometer. It bolts to where a suction cup for a window mount went. The first version was not offset, and the mount blocked the see-through portion, making it hard to read.

20220505_190410.jpg

20220505_190508.jpg

gots_a_sol

Member Number
Have this gate we use to keep the dogs out of the bedrooms. Well between 3 dogs and kids the original hinges got busted. Drew up new ones on tinkercad and printed them off. They seem to last about 6 months or so before getting busted again.

20220508_113326-XL.jpg

I used some 3/8 rod for the pivots. I print the holes a little undersized, heat up the pins, and press them in.

20220508_113335-XL.jpg

DesmoDog

Member Number
I put a smaller battery in my Super Light but still wanted to use the stock battery hold downs, so I printed up this.
BatteryMount.png

BatMount_5750.jpg

I tried to figure out how to cut down a stock license plate bracket to work with smaller USA plates, but gave up and printed this out instead. It's hidden by the plate in use. I think I'll mod it to hold an allen wrench to remove the tail section at some point.
PlateMount.jpg

Plate_5770.jpg

Plate_5774.jpg

But the bestest thing I've printed so far? We have a bin for dog food that had a rubber handle that was cracked and about to break. Someone who took care of our dog wrapped tape around it and turned it into a sticky mess, so I drew up this and printed it out in TPU so it's flexible. I am shocked by how much better it feels than the old broken down handle. Seriously. It's the little things in life.

Strap.jpg

And now I'm working on a TPU adapter/pad thingie to mount a tail light on a fender it was never intended to be on. Multiple curves on different angles... it's taking me a while to figre it all out but I'm getting there.

DesmoDog

Member Number
Oh yeah, I also printed out a points cover for a Ducati narrowcase. It's another TPU part - the stock part uses an O-ring but that's included in this design so it's all one piece. Forgive the red material - it's some cheap stuff I use to print out test parts. The real one will be black. Yeah yeah yeah, I know it doesn't look anything like a stock part but it's going on to a bike that's being built out of (mainly) stuff I have sitting around, as in no money spent. And the bike isn't going to look like anything Ducati ever built either so whatever.

PointsCover.jpg

PointsCover2.jpg

PointsCover_5855.jpg

Top Bottom