What's new

What is new in electric cars/trucks?

Last week, I "parked" $1k on a Rivian R1S. From what I can tell, the delivery date should be sometime mid-2024, which is actually close to perfect for me. My wife retires then, and I'd like to replace our aging 2004 LR Disco2 when she does b/c we intend to do longer road trips.

I'm not sure if this will meet our needs, but the deposit is fully refundable and when you take delivery, you've got 7 days to return it if you don't like it. I expect that between now and the delivery date, there will be an opportunity to test drive one, which is key for me. They have an "experience center" in Venice, CA, and I hope they open one a bit closer.

Their truck, the R1T, has gotten some terrific reviews, and I expect the SUV to perform similarly. It is really bigger than we want/need, and I'm also hoping they introduce something smaller.

Here's how I'm looking at it: every vehicle has trade offs, we've been making them for years and are "used" to them. More performance means harsher ride, more noise, less gas mileage, etc. Here's a vehicle that essentially does everything easily and comfortably, off and on road, 14 inches of ground clearance and 3 sec to 60. The one trade off is on a road trip you have to have some coffee every 250 miles. I think I can live with that. But, have to drive it.

Unknown.jpeg

Unknown-1.jpeg

Unknown-2.jpeg

Unknown.png

Unknown-1.png
I really like the Rivan. Nice looking and great performance.

I really like the Rivan. Nice looking and great performance.

Allegedly. ;).

Seriously, agree with you, and all the reviews have been pretty great. I've yet to see one in person, and am hoping that they open a "center" closer to me than the one they have in Venice, CA. Tesla is opening a store in Tucson shortly; hopefully that will help drive something from Rivian, although I expect they will go to Phoenix first.

Which is still closer than Venice... ;)

I expect to see some in the DC area pretty soon. A bit out of my price range, but I really like them. There was a short series on MotorTrend TV that they took them cross country, including a few straight days off road. They had no issues with them. Known drivers too. I'll see if I can find it on YouTube.

I expect to see some in the DC area pretty soon. A bit out of my price range, but I really like them. There was a short series on MotorTrend TV that they took them cross country, including a few straight days off road. They had no issues with them. Known drivers too. I'll see if I can find it on YouTube.

I've seen it, was interesting. I really want to see and drive one, expect that will happen before my "due date" which I expect to be sometime mid-2024.

Who knows what else will come out by then...

Got an email from Rivian that they are restoring my original build price, and that should be reflected on the website shortly. Good news, although I'm wondering how they are going to deliver vehicles 2 years from now at a price that was set 2 years ago...we'll see.

Interesting review of the new Kia EV.

I expect the 800 volt architecture to become the standard and that the focus now will become recharge times instead of range.

Welp, seems Rivian is acting true to their word...my order goes back to pre-increase pricing.

Got this today:

Good news! Next week, your Rivian Account Page will reflect your pre-March 1, 2022 preorder pricing. Going forward, your Account Page will be the best place to get the latest, most accurate information about your order.

And, my understanding is that they are now delivering trucks to actual people (not just employees) and that the SUVs will start delivery in May. Reviews have still been overwhelmingly positive.

Thought this was an interesting review of the Rivian b/c it seems to focus on real world use and comparisons.

CDN Rick shared this 1 hour and 40 min podcast about the new ford electric vehicles. I played it on a long drive yesterday and found it very interesting.

VW is talking about bringing the International Scout back as a electric off road oriented vehicle

Are a cool thing. Unfortunately, sort of a novelty still. If even a tenth of the vehicles on the road were suddenly electric we'd crash the damn grid. Hell, we got places in America where we struggle to keep the lights on in houses if the weather gets a little extreme. Reliably electrifying, and quickly charging, our transportation system is a long way off, I'm afraid.

Are a cool thing. Unfortunately, sort of a novelty still. If even a tenth of the vehicles on the road were suddenly electric we'd crash the damn grid. Hell, we got places in America where we struggle to keep the lights in houses if the weather gets a little extreme. Reliably electrifying, and quickly charging, our transportation system is a long way off, I'm afraid.

You are entitled to your opinion but in the 1960s, most homes were operated on a 30 amp or 50 amp electric panel. Now 150-200 amp is common with some having 400 amp. Our demand is ever increasing. Most vehicles will be charged at night, while demand is low. If 80% of vehicles are replaced today with electric, it would increase our electric consumption by 10-15%. While the news is filled with electric vehicles, they still only account for a low single digit percentage of vehicles on the road.

Reactions: EGR
You are entitled to your opinion but in the 1960s, most homes were operated on a 30 amp or 50 amp electric panel. Now 150-200 amp is common with some having 400 amp. Our demand is ever increasing. Most vehicles will be charged at night, while demand is low. If 80% of vehicles are replaced today with electric, it would increase our electric consumption by 10-15%. While the news is filled with electric vehicles, they still only account for a low single digit percentage of vehicles on the road.

I don't have opinions on this stuff. I'm not in a position to gather actual data and do the math, so I don't have the ability to say " this is how it is". All in can do is read several different "facts" from as many sources as possible and try to get a glimpse.

I don't have opinions on this stuff. I'm not in a position to gather actual data and do the math, so I don't have the ability to say " this is how it is". All in can do is read several different "facts" from as many sources as possible and try to get a glimpse.

This article goes into some more math. My personal household might drive an average of 20 mi a day between 2 daily drivers. That is very little charging time per day.

This article goes into some more math. My personal household might drive an average of 20 mi a day between 2 daily drivers. That is very little charging time per day.

This is getting off the rails. Cabanza didn't start a thread about the viability of battery powered transport. We don't need to be posting a bunch of links to prove ourselves in his thread on scooters.

Back
Top Bottom