What's new

What is the best bike to do the TAT on?

From what I've seen, the problem has more to do with overpacking or using heavier than necessary gear than a limitation of the bike. If your cargo weighs more than 50 lbs (being generous), there are usually opportunities to drop weight.
Before you decide which bike you need to decide how much shit you plan on packing for the trip. While a 450ish thumper is a great choice for the terrain it’s ability to carry a lot of gear is lacking.

Just something to consider.

I did 9 days across New Mexico, including the NMBDR on a CRF450L, fully loaded. a huge plus of the CRF is a robust Alum Subframe.

All in, me + gear, I'd say 350# of stuff on the CRF. No issues with hauling stuffs.

NMBDR Setup. Would work fine for the TAT too.

1644675617256.png

1644675736592.png

NMBDR Setup. Would work fine for the TAT too.

1644675617256.png

1644675736592.png
Sweet rig man. Yeah, think that would be my ideal. I know the thread was “best” bike, but thinking of my my case, “best” is what I have. Thread made me think a bit more on my situation. This trip was always going to happen “sometime in the future” and when that happens I’ll get the “best” then.

A family friend called a month ago. He knows I ride all over and says it’s his 65th birthday this year and wants to cross off the bucket list the TAT, asks me to come along, says wife won’t let him go without. This was probably the only situation my wife would let me peel off for 5weeks with a 5yo and a business. I don’t have the time or funds to find or prepare another bike, so in this case, “best” is what I have.

These threads are always interesting because as they evolve, more variables get introduced and it can be fascinating to see what might be best for one person, isn’t for the other.

MVI I’ll be talking to you about some tires soon as this trip approaches.

I did 9 days across New Mexico, including the NMBDR on a CRF450L, fully loaded. a huge plus of the CRF is a robust Alum Subframe.

All in, me + gear, I'd say 350# of stuff on the CRF. No issues with hauling stuffs.

Good to see.

I don't think my Husky FE501 with it's composite subframe would fair well with that much hanging off the back.

We did about 260 miles on our annual New Years day ride Jan 1. One of the guys wanted to try my CRF450L, and he tossed me the keys to his fully off road prepped AT. Super nice bike, well sorted out, and soooooo comfortable.

Amphib I'll give you a heads up -- Lead times on the 150/70-18 tires right now are about 6-7 weeks, due to shipping woes and high demand from the T7, AT and 890R guys. Send me a PM when you are ready to discuss, or hit me up at my MOTOZ Vendor Page. Plan on Ordereing as early as possible.

Sweet rig man. Yeah, think that would be my ideal. I know the thread was “best” bike, but thinking of my my case, “best” is what I have. Thread made me think a bit more on my situation. This trip was always going to happen “sometime in the future” and when that happens I’ll get the “best” then.
I fully agree. Best is "run what you brung". I've done long road trips on a Suzi GS1000, the Super Tenere, and the CRF450L. Each one has its place. If you need to ride back after the TAT a more suitable bike, like the AT, T7, would be great.

A buddy of mine did the TAT the easy way. He and his wife drove to the start on the east coast. He rode each section, and the wife went ahead with the pickup/trailer and set up the camper. He would come rolling in each evening to a hot cooked dinner and bon fire. In the morning he helped pack up the trailer, and set off again. She drove to the next nights campsite

Repeated that for 33 days until he hit the pacific. Then loaded up and drove home to Tejas

Good to see.

I don't think my Husky FE501 with it's composite subframe would fair well with that much hanging off the back.

I was offered a sweet deal on a 2018 FE450 from a customer, But after seeing the comp subframe I too had reservations about it, knowing I would be doing some long trips with the 450. Im not a small guy, and I have Cracked the frame near the foot pegs from Jumping the old KTM 400.

So far the Honda has held up well, no cracks, and well over 5000 hard miles on it now.

Last edited:
I fully agree. Best is "run what you brung". I've done long road trips on a Suzi GS1000, the Super Tenere, and the CRF450L. Each one has its place. If you need to ride back after the TAT a more suitable bike, like the AT, T7, would be great.

A buddy of mine did the TAT the easy way. He and his wife drove to the start on the east coast. He rode each section, and the wife went ahead with the pickup/trailer and set up the camper. He would come rolling in each evening to a hot cooked dinner and bon fire. In the morning he helped pack up the trailer, and set off again. She drove to the next nights campsite

Repeated that for 33 days until he hit the pacific. Then loaded up and drove home to Tejas
That sounds like the way to do it maximize the fun ! Limit the slab,Have all the comforts of a camper or hotel every night. Sounds like riding trials events or dirt biking !

Reactions: MVI
All in the gear, CPAP, tools, spare nuts and bolts, was about 37#

Me with Boots and helmet is clearly > 300#

If someone doesn't beat me to it, I'll start a Packing Light thread.

Too late….

If all goes as planned my Honda CRF450RL and a buddy on a 690 will be hitting the TAT this Summer out of NY. It's a bucket list item for sure...were both retired and the bikes are new so the timing couldn't be better. Plan to keep the packing to a minimum and we are Hoteling it so that should make packing easy.

She have an older sister?

Reactions: MVI
There's a tremendous amount of great info (and fanatical weight weenies) in the various ultra-light backpacking resources online. For the TAT I'm in the 450/500 camp, it's just going to be more fun and less stress with the right bike & I'd adjust the load accordingly to match.

My take on the subject is;
  • 500/501 class - compromised road bikes, fantastic dirt bikes
  • 690/701 enduro class - compromised road bikes, compromised dirt bikes
Now if I was heading to Patagonia I would flip the choice but this isn't that.

I'd seriously consider the XR650L. I had one for a few years, and have ridden many mountain passes on it. Pretty boring as far as a dirtbike goes, but stone axe reliable, and easily repairable in the field.

The only potential weakness is the subframe prone to cracking. But there are luggage racks that tie the subframe to the main frame to strengthen it. And as a bonus - they're luggage racks.

1645201041740.png

I did most of it in 2013 on a 450. I've ridden Sam's ID and OR sections on a 950 and 701 solo. IMO, 450-500 class bikes are way more fun and the minimal highway riding on a little, buzzy bike is a small price to pay for the enjoyment factor in the dirt.
IMG_0532[1].JPG

Top Bottom Back Refresh