What's new

What is this thing???

EGR

I Cleaned out the shed and found this "hammer"

It Seems rather specific for the profile

So Before I invest in a new handle... What is this thing ?

1668721973391.png

I looked into Seller's Dictionary of American Hand Tools (1990), the hammer resembles a riveting hammer which is a tinsmith's hammer, generally weighing from 1 to 64oz. OTOH I'm also inclined towards the archeologist's hammer proposal though yours does have the straighter peen end and no collar around the handle where it mates to the head. The book lists a few different forms of rivetting hammer, some with round pointed peen others with wedge shaped ends like some masonry related hammers.

I'm leaning toward ..... Blacksmith / Railroad Sledge Hammer

EGR

I Cleaned out the shed and found this "hammer"

It Seems rather specific for the profile

So Before I invest in a new handle... What is this thing ?

1668721973391.png
First two things that come to mind, keeping in mind what the other folks said about having a light duty handle, is cobblers and body guys seem to use long nose hammers. For heel nails in tall shoes or tapping out dents in hard to reach places.

The overall look is rather homemade. Combined with the mushrooming I'm inclined to believe that EGR is on the something.

Found at bottom of an ancient box of stuff from my dad's house- 60's/70's vintage, possibly related to radar? No other markings.

IMG_20221119_083644.jpg

I'm leaning toward ..... Blacksmith / Railroad Sledge Hammer

I found some markings on the underside of the head

ICRR -- Blacksmith Hammer, Illinois Central RR, Railroad​

My Hypothesis is Dad picked this up when worked in Illinois from 1957-1958 as a Dozer Mechanic at work for the new Dwight D. Eisenhower U.S. Interstate Highway System (IHS)

ScreenHunter 2316.png

ScreenHunter 2317.png

Internet image an alternate hammer also stamped ICRR
ScreenHunter 2314.png

Last edited:
Have too many photos not properly labelled spread over the three lap-tops that are currently turned on and the card on my digital camera ... so, I stole this from the internet. Probably clearer than any photos I took.

What is it?
thing.jpg

Man that is cool looking
Yeah, it is, kind of. Not sure what all the drivel being babbled on about steam engines was about; made it clear that I have quite a few photos of these devices. Don't imagine Canada is crawling with operable stationary steam engines. That is a mechanical (and they may also be electrical) speed governor for an (in this case Otis) elevator.

Been retired over a year now, but I imagine there are still hundreds of these in use in Toronto. The operative gear quite clearly works upon a cable clamp (on the right) at the base of the assembly (clear red down arrow). There is an adjustable spring (solid blue arrow) that controls the amount of grip on the governor rope. The governor rope actuates the safeties (usually on the bottom of the sling). This must grip tightly enough so as not to slip as the car speeds down out of control, but not so tightly as to snap the governor rope.

This device is an incredibly old example. The clear yellow arrow points to a sprocket that would chain drive a speed control device. Probably a selector. I'd date this one from no newer than the '50s.

This and the safeties under the sling is what prevents the cab and passengers from plummeting to their deaths. Unless, of course, the issue was caused by a B25 Mitchell.

thing.jpg

Judging by the oil cup now being horizontal I'd say it's have to be mounted 90° from how it's sitting now?

Judging by the oil cup now being horizontal I'd say it's have to be mounted 90° from how it's sitting now?
I thought that too, but the centrifuge would need to be as is to function properly..Yes?No? Crazy piece of old time engineering however it mounts.

I thought that too, but the centrifuge would need to be as is to function properly..Yes?No? Crazy piece of old time engineering however it mounts.
Does a ball governor depend on gravity, or just the centrifugal force?

It depends on the design. A spring can be used in place of gravity.

That's what I'm thinking, too. In the process of "restoring" a Victor Talking Machine and it's got the coolest little governor in it. Leather button rides against the disc on the left to set your desired speed.

No bearings assemblies or bushings throughout. Rather, each spinning component has a single bearing ball on each end for minimum of friction.

I'm convinced that standardization killed ingenuity. Anything today would be built with off the shelf bearings and forced to run a bigger power source. Plus, why actually sit down and figure out a problem when you can just Google to see what someone else did?

The cleverest shit I ever saw is from old turn of the century machines built by guys sitting alone in their sheds with no option but to figure it out alone.

Anyway, these governor weights are attached to thin little leafs springs that flex and flatten to lengthen the distance of the mechanism.

IMG_20230204_174227_01.jpg

No. It sat that way. If memory serves, that cup was actually hand packed with grease.

It sits that way.

Like I said, this is a machine designed to control/limit speeds on other machines. A stand alone device. In this case, elevators. It grips the rope that trips the safeties.

I had an old one in my van, once. Had not yet got to the office to throw it in the metal bin. Pulled it out and dropped it on my driveway so I could gain access to some other crap in the van. Some guy fishing off the pier next to my property immediately saw it and asked if he could have it! Bingo! Take it away. Saved me a trip to the office.

I appreciate your explanation, but your attitude sucks. I hope you're just having a bad day.
You talk a load of shyte and can't just seem to STFU. You think you are clever (you are not) and insist on making a babbling comment on everyone else's post after you've spent hours on the goggle machine.

You didn't know what it is/was, and your goggle guess was a load of stupidity. Just be a man, own it, and try shutting it every now and then.

Reactions: CTG
I see your mood hasn't improved.

I immediately knew it was a governor because I've seen them in use ... on steam engines. If I remember correctly, I posted my response less than an hour after you posted your photo; certainly not after I "spent hours on the goggle machine." I searched for links about similar ones because I don't have those memorized, and because I think this kind of thread is more fun when everyone learns more about the items. I don't know why any of that prompted you to respond with so much anger.

Everyone was getting along fine until you decided to go another way. You don't like me, and I can live with that. Please move on.
:deal l

Centripetal force.

Centripetal force pulls things to center. Centrifugal force is the force that makes something flee from the center.

Which happens here?

Governor balls fly out, right?

Back
Top Bottom