What's new

What old bike surprised you with its competence?

I've fallen into the trap of having romantic images of previously owned bikes and buying the same model again years later - more than once! Same story each time - the bikes are never as good as I remembered or the fatal flaw that made me sell them the first time rears its ugly head again. I think we don't always realize that the improvements in bikes over the years have been significant and to go back to an older bike is not without its compromises (full disclosure, my current ride is a 1984 model).

All that said, a real standout to me was the R1150GSA I owned. Though I would never have taken it off road, as a street bike it was absolutely brilliant and I would have felt comfortable riding it anywhere. The fatal flaw? I am 5'10" with a 30" inseam.

BMW R1150GS ADV  6.jpeg

I've fallen into the trap of having romantic images of previously owned bikes and buying the same model again years later - more than once! Same story each time - the bikes are never as good as I remembered or the fatal flaw that made me sell them the first time rears its ugly head again. I think we don't always realize that the improvements in bikes over the years have been significant and to go back to an older bike is not without its compromises (full disclosure, my current ride is a 1984 model).

All that said, a real standout to me was the R1150GSA I owned. Though I would never have taken it off road, as a street bike it was absolutely brilliant and I would have felt comfortable riding it anywhere. The fatal flaw? I am 5'10" with a 30" inseam.

BMW R1150GS ADV  6.jpeg
I was looking for one of those. They fit me perfect.

I was looking for one of those. They fit me perfect.

Well Tio Pollo, I would definitely give one a try - especially if you have the legs for it. I remember reading the old reviews of those bikes and the reviewers writing that you could rail them through twisty roads like a sport bike, but I never believed it until I had one. I trusted that bike on twisty roads as much or more than most of the sport bikes I have owned - and there have been a few of them.

1661365828042.png

I have owned a few Triumph 500's and 650's in the past, but never a late 70's 750 until this one. They really are pleasant motorcycles. The only problems I've had with this one have been a broken throttle cable and kicker spring. It will hum along at 65 all-day without any critical bits departing.

Last edited:
Friend and I have been bashing the potholes on some 77-79 Yamaha XS750 triples... they are pretty quick and pretty competent, I like they way they are quite a bit narrower than a 4, the real suprise was reading a number of 70's reviews where people found all kinds of things to not like about them.

IMGP0536.jpg

I still have and ride my '01 YZ 125 and my '99 bmw f 650 (funduro) though both bikes are over 20 years they remain incredibly reliable and capable. I have owned and own a bunch of bikes over the years but these two just stand out

1661365828042.png

I have owned a few Triumph 500's and 650's in the past, but never a late 70's 750 until this one. They really are pleasant motorcycles. The only problems I've had with this one have been a broken throttle cable and kicker spring. It will hum along at 65 all-day without any critical bits departing.
Limited seat time on my '79 T140 until I tore it apart for a refresh but I was surprised how well it performed in today's world.
618827EB-597D-420D-A36C-4EB13F84CF30.jpeg

Limited seat time on my '79 T140 until I tore it apart for a refresh but I was surprised how well it performed in today's world.
618827EB-597D-420D-A36C-4EB13F84CF30.jpeg
Yes, totally adequate. Sad that the brits couldn't convince the world that you didn't need an electric starter and clean clothes

My 85 FJ1100. Bought it new, drag raced it, commuted on it in all weather, and sport toured all over the country on it. Keep it 18 years and 90K miles.

It replaced an 83 750 interceptor that was a POS.

20180715_163117-L.jpg

How is second gear on it?
My friend had one, I replaced 2nd gear on it (first multi-cyl case split for me), years later now he has another one that was advertised as not leaking, 2nd gear fine, ready to ride. Has several oil leaks and needs 2nd.

The way some of them, going back to the XS750s, have 2nd gear go (dogs slip) on some and others never have a problem makes me think it's a tolerance stackup, not all dogs/slots get machined the same, or spotty heat treatment.

[UWSL]. Sometimes it is best to leave the past in the past and romanticize it.[/UWSL]
I ran in to this a few years back. I had heard all the praises of the Bandit 1200. A bulletproof, torque monster with all the handling of the sport bike it was derived from. A true air cooled big block wheelie monstt with no electronics and endowed with gobs of torque.

Instead, it felt exactly like what Suzuki said it was. A detuned GSX-R engine stuck in a UJM chassis. Heavy handling, reluctant to rev...the "gobs" of torque were disappointing compared to even the XR 400 I was riding at the time. I guess I didn't see what everyone else was seeing.

I had a late-90s Valkyrie for awhile. Hilariously fast. 12-second quarter mile. On your sofa. It didn't handle great, but it was neutral in corners and had pretty good ground clearance. I sold it because it had ridiculously loud aftermarket pipes and used OEMs were $$$.

Back
Top Bottom