What's new

What old bike surprised you with its competence?

One of my all time favorite bikes was my 89 EX500. I kept it for 10 years and 66,000 miles. When introduced in 87 it was a budget bike and not exactly state of the art. It was however much better than it's specs sheets indicated. I bought it to replace an FJ1100. While it had about half the horsepower than the FJ, I was much faster on the EX500. I was passing guys on the EX that I struggled to keep up with on the FJ. This was in the mountains and canyons of SoCal. Then I moved back East and started riding on much tighter and twistier roads. The EX did even better on those roads and I regularly ran away from guys on 750s and 1100's.

In SoCal:

wknudsen_OLD%20PICS%20AND%20SCANS_EX2_zps96b91d09.jpg

At the overlook at Deal's Gap.

wknudsen_OLD%20PICS%20AND%20SCANS_dealsgap1990_zps25ad54d8.jpg

It was a surprisingly good touring bike and I rode it in a lot of states.

wknudsen_OLD%20PICS%20AND%20SCANS_exinco_zps8561d229.jpg

wknudsen_OLD%20PICS%20AND%20SCANS_exnearmoab_zps73bf56bd.jpg

One of my all time favorite bikes was my 89 EX500. I kept it for 10 years and 66,000 miles. When introduced in 87 it was a budget bike and not exactly state of the art. It was however much better than it's specs sheets indicated. I bought it to replace an FJ1100. While it had about half the horsepower than the FJ, I was much faster on the EX500. I was passing guys on the EX that I struggled to keep up with on the FJ. This was in the mountains and canyons of SoCal. Then I moved back East and started riding on much tighter and twistier roads. The EX did even better on those roads and I regularly ran away from guys on 750s and 1100's.

In SoCal:

Much closer to an SV650 speed-wise than the good people at Suzuki would like to admit.

Much closer to an SV650 speed-wise than the good people at Suzuki would like to admit.
I replaced the EX with an SV650. The SV had more power and better brakes. It also took me a while to get used to it because it handled very differently than the EX. The EX on the other hand hardly took any time to get used to when I got it. I think that one of the things that made the EX fast was it was so easy to ride and so confidence inspiring.

Around 2017 I picked up a $900 beater for winter riding. The bike was a 1981 xj550 maxim. Probably one of the best bikes I've owned. And a great 2up bike also. The motor was smooth, pulled well from low rpms and would howl when opened up. Japan had an xjr400 model 1990-2007 that was left over parts from the seca/maxim line mixed with newer style wheels. In the states, we got the radian for awhile

Around 2017 I picked up a $900 beater for winter riding. The bike was a 1981 xj550 maxim. Probably one of the best bikes I've owned. And a great 2up bike also. The motor was smooth, pulled well from low rpms and would howl when opened up. Japan had an xjr400 model 1990-2007 that was left over parts from the seca/maxim line mixed with newer style wheels. In the states, we got the radian for awhile
I always thought the Radian was a cool bike. I wouldn't mind if one fell in my lap one day.

The xj550 might get the adventure treatment rebuild. Front fork travel is 6 in. Weight is 415lbs and 50hp. I've pulled 6th gear from 18mph. Kinda makes one wonder about modern bikes.

I bought an XJ550 Seca for my wife. Great bike but she didn't like it so we didn't keep it all that long. I thought it was great except for the riding position which wasn't that comfortable for me. Same basic motor as the XJ550 Maxim. I think even today it would be a very competent bike.

wknudsen_OLD%20PICS%20AND%20SCANS_seca550_zps94ea4123.jpg

I'm also guilty of buying nostalgia bikes but most have lived up to their hype. Currently SR500, RD400, RZ350, Nighthawk SC700 all ride about like I expect and are still a blast to ride. But the 900SS that I picked up last year is a complete joy. My son just picked up the 900's daddy, and it is out of this world, but the old SS still puts a smile on my face every time.

Ducati-900-SS-and-1098.jpg

In SoCal:

Ten years and 66000 miles on an '89 EX500 is all I need to hear to be impressed. You rode the shit out of that little bike and I love it.

I'm just too big to put miles like that on a small bike but the fact that you guys do it brings a smile to my face.

Ten years and 66000 miles on an '89 EX500 is all I need to hear to be impressed. You rode the shit out of that little bike and I love it.

I'm just too big to put miles like that on a small bike but the fact that you guys do it brings a smile to my face.
When I had the EX500 I also had another bike as well as my wife's bike which I also rode. For most of the time I had my EX500 I also had a Yamaha Venture touring bike. It was interesting because I did most of my commuting on that big Venture and did long trips on my EX500. My longest trip on the EX500 was 7,200 miles and covered 14 states. My longest day on the EX500 was a 700 mile day ride on mostly back roads in VA, WVA, and MD. It was actually a fairly comfortable bike compared to many of the bigger sport bikes of the day.

I had a Kawasaki H2 750 in the mid 1970s that seemed darn fast but handling was terrible. Additionally, it was inconsistent in making power. At one point I banged 5th gear at 110mph and it stood straight up on end; scared the $hit out of me. I took it home and put it up for sale.

The bike I look back at and still appreciate is the VFR500 I owned back in the mid 80s. I've never owned one since, and haven't ridden one either - it wouldn't live up to my recollection of it. As I recall, the handling great at all speeds, the brakes were fine and even the power two-up was sufficient. I rode it from CA to ME and back. Okay, the riding position was not great for that.

hondaVFR500.jpg

(Not mine ... downloaded photo.)
BTW, I did own a 91 VFR750 - it wasn't nearly as fulfilling.
I had that bike twice. Once in ‘84, then again around ‘07 when I restored one. Loved that little beast. I could tell a few storiel about both of mine and both that my old friend Dan had. FWIW- they look much better with the black plastic removed from the back fender and the lower radiator hose replaced with braided stainless steel.
Years later I scored an 84 or 85 VF1000R. It didn’t last long in my stable. It was super uncomfortable.

For a 40 year old bike, this one surprises me every time I ride it. It has the best fairing I've ever ridden behind - great coverage, no buffeting, but not feeling like a barn door. Just loves to lope along at 70 mph.
1667047378706.jpeg

vtduc,

That bike is beautiful!

Funny what you mention about the fairing. The Avon full fairing I had on my 1972 R75/5 was the best (aerodynamically) fairing I have ever riden behind, and I have tried many.

My 1981 Restomodded XS1100 Streetfighter...100+hp with wiseco big bore kit and K+N pod filters and kerker exhaust...and many other mods...it was my hot rod hooligan bike...

Attachments

• 1981 Yamaha XS1100 Streetfighter.jpg
    1981 Yamaha XS1100 Streetfighter.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Back in '99 I bought a Kawasaki Classic and I sold it to a friend 4 years later. He's still rides it daily. It's had some work done on it but she's still on the road and lookin' good. Here's a shot from a few years ago along side my Piaggio X10.
20160219 170210.jpg

Back
Top Bottom