What's new

What's next for COVID Vaccines?

klaviator

Scooter Trash
Member Number
I don't want to start a Vacc vs anti vacc debate.

I have been reading some on this topic and it appears to me that the current vaccines are not very effective any more in preventing Covid but the still offer some protection against serious symtoms. This makes sense since the disease keeps mutating. It appears the drug companies are unsure on which way to go with future booster shots. It looks like they will be playing catch up with the mutations. They will probably have to make an educated guess like they do with annual flu shots.

It's been 6 months since my booster shot and I'm going to wait and see what is coming out rather than just get the same shot again.

Anyone read anything worth adding here on development of new vaccines?

I have not been following the developments on this front, I would like to hear more. 2 or 3 or 4 shots per year is not good, especially when they put me down for a day. One per year, like the flu, is good but people will also grow tired of it.

There is always the potential for a bright side….

2823F7E2-1B48-437C-8C69-6A8D05058820.jpeg

I expect that long term this will become a once a year shot, maybe they can combine it with the flu shot.

The "vaccine" has never had any effect on preventing infection. It has shown to reduce symptom effects.

The next step is a true vaccine.

The "vaccine" has never had any effect on preventing infection. It has shown to reduce symptom effects.

The next step is a true vaccine.
I disagree. It was shown to be pretty effective against the original Covid, fairly effective against preventing Delta but not very effective against Omicron. I don't know that we will see a "true" vaccine anymore than we have seen a true vaccine against the flu and common cold.

I hope I am wrong.

I know a lot of people don't like Dr. Fauci but early in the pandemic he said that typically as viruses mutate they become less lethal. That is what has happened. At the same time that the virus mutates, more people get some immunity through getting COVID or vaccines or both. I think that long term we will start treating Covid much like we treat the Flu.

I never had a test come back positive, over the last 2 years, I had a few bouts with symptoms that kind of checked the COVID boxes. Once was very early on, before testing was widly available. I just hung out at home for 2 weeks and had groceries delivered. I never got real ill.

I know a lot of people don't like Dr. Fauci but early in the pandemic he said that typically as viruses mutate they become less lethal. That is what has happened. At the same time that the virus mutates, more people get some immunity through getting COVID or vaccines or both. I think that long term we will start treating Covid much like we treat the Flu.
That is like a politician saying that he can't control the other side. Pure hedging. The guy is a complete fraud. The second part I agree with. Stop pretending we have any real control over COVID!

Curious if everyones opinion about the vaccines being safe and effective still stands

Curious if everyones opinion about the vaccines being safe and effective still stands
My opinion was and still is that there is some risk in getting the Vaccine and there is also some benefit. I think the vaccine was pretty effective against the original COVID but lost lost effectiveness the more the disease mutated. I just heard today that there is a new booster that is targeted at the omicron variant. How effective it will be remains to be seen. I think that long term Covid boosters will be like flu shots. They will somewhat effective but probably somewhere around 50%

That's my opinion. I'm not a doctor and it's been a long time since I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express.

FDA seeking Omicron variant specific boosters for all.

After that, there is no more free lunch; future boosters will cost.

My SO recently had covid which was odd since, during the preceding 10 days, the only difference in our lives was a trip to the grocery store.

We isolated within our home and my tests remained negative.

Both of us received Moderna x3.

So, either my immune response was stellar or I was just incredibly lucky.

Considering whether to get the last freebie...

To answer your query OIC , effective ? It would seem that it is. Safe? Ain't nothin' guaranteed.

On another note, I'm just thrilled that people here aren't pretending to be epidemiologists or infectious disease docs based upon reading a headline or two.

And it is really refreshing not to be instructed in the art of proper hand washing technique.

Or being castigated for not wearing three masks, 24/7...

On the 'other other site', I probably would have been called a Granny killer for typing this after being exposed to covid in the past month. :deal

Last edited:
I wonder the same thing. Neither my wife or I have come down with Covid.....as far as we know. It is possible we got it but had no symptoms:dunno Both of us wore masks at the beginning and still do on the rare occasions that its required but we haven't been hyper cautious like some people. Lucky? Probably. We both got the Phizer shots and one Moderna booster. We'll probably get the omicron booster but I'm not going to rush out and get it. I'll wait a few months and let others be the test subjects.

On the other hand my 86 YO mom got Covid a week after getting her booster shot. She thought it was just a cold. She got over it in less than a week but then was very fatigued for a couple of weeks after that.

SO's symptoms were extremely mild- sore throat for a couple days.

I anxiously tested every 24 hrs for 10 days certain that it would read positive.

What I learned is that a strong immune response can keep cv19 levels lower than the threshold of at home tests.

Anecdotally,I am now aware of more than a few households where one person contracted covid while the others did not.

Interestingly, not everyone in those instances masked or isolated and some were not vaccinated.

Like everything, there is much more to covid than meets the eye.

FDA seeking Omicron variant specific boosters for all.

After that, there is no more free lunch; future boosters will cost.

My SO recently had covid which was odd since, during the preceding 10 days, the only difference in our lives was a trip to the grocery store.

We isolated within our home and my tests remained negative.

Both of us received Moderna x3.

Considering whether to get the last freebie...

To answer your query OIC , effective ? It would seem that it is. Safe? Ain't nothin' guaranteed.

On another note, I'm just thrilled that people here aren't pretending to be epidemiologists or infectious disease docs based upon reading a headline or two.

And it is really refreshing not to be instructed in the art of proper hand washing technique.

Or being castigated for not wearing three masks, 24/7...

On the 'other other site', I probably would have been called a Granny killer for typing this after being exposed to covid in the past month. :deal
You son of a bitch youre gonna kill somebody!!!

If I claimed to know the answer to that question I'd be flat out lying. But here's where I stand on vaccines in general.

Apparently I'm allergic or something to tetanus vaccine. They want to give me one every time I go for stitches and every time I tell em to get ready for me to faint. They always think I'm just scared of needles, but that don't bother me. They don't believe it of course .

When I did my hand in a couple years ago we went through the whole thing . They gave me the shot, I turned white and felt like passing out for a couple minutes. They always say they've never seen anyone have a reaction, but one nurse was spooked by how fast I was affected. She was taking my pulse and was worried because she couldn't find it the whole time.

Couple minutes later I started feeling better and my color came back. She found a week pulse that took several minutes to return to normal.

Nurse that gave me the shot and was taking my pulse got spooked and started fussing at me. It was touch and go for a while and she'd already brought the paddles out. Kinda crawling up my ass for not warning them. Pissed me off.

"I fucking told you I'm not scared of needles but tetanus shots make me want to pass out. This makes 4 out of 4 with identical results. Told you I didn't want it, you told me its required. What the hell else do you want me to tell you?"

Four nurses giving me blank stares.

"You didn't have a pulse for two minutes"

"Yeah, it happened exactly like I told you it would. No surprises here."

Girl part way through sewing my hand shut while it was all going on commented, "well, his hand is bleeding again now "

🙄

Point of all that rambling is I feel like these "required " tetanus vaccines are gonna be the death of me one day, because apparently every time they made me faint it was my heart stopping? Things hit different people in different ways. Vaccines are a marvel of modern medicine. Mandatory/required vaccines are bullshit, though. They'll have to physically fight me next time I'm "required " to take a tetanus vaccine. Not taking that risk ever again.

We're not as smart as we think we are. We've got plenty left to learn about things we've been treating for centuries, we damn sure got plenty to learn about "new" viruses. Humility and open-mindedness would be a great thing to add to the mix these days.

Back
Top Bottom