What's new

What’s The First Things You Do To A New Bike?

DJ_MI You're talking new or used bike?
Here's a simple, free, thing you can do ... check the tire pressure. I've done test rides on new bikes and the handling was shite. Low and behold the tires were 10psi low.

Danno What are you using for lubricant there? Call me stupid, but I thought modern cables have teflon on the cable and housing, so not requiring lubrication.
My bike was new but I guess a lot of this stuff applies to both.

Mold release oils and waxes on tires isn't much of an issue any more but should still be careful till the tires are scrubbed in.

If the tires I get have the mold release still on them, then a Brillo pad and dishwashing soap will take care of that real quick… Some new tires have been quite clean lately, lawyers???

I am picking up a slightly used BMW R1250 GS the day after Christmas (weather permitting). It will be trailered home and the first thing(s) I will do will be to the check oil level, spoke tension on the cross spoke wheels, raise the seat to the high position, install a tender/coax lead to the battery, check the tire pressure, install a pair of SW Motech ION foot pegs in the low position, clean the bike thoroughly, and wait for a clear day to ride it as we are in the path of the major winter storm that is brewing.
Then, I will begin the accessory purchasing process.

Some new tires have been quite clean lately, lawyers???

I'm 42 years old and can't ever remember seeing a tire with mold release, grease, etc on it. I didn't know I was even supposed to be worried about such a thing until the internet took off 😁

Tire molds are polished to make the tire pop out easy. I doubt any tire manufacturer wants the added cost of mold release, plus the added complexity of integrating that in to the equipment, or having to hire guys to sit there and grease molds and wipe up the mess later.

Some really aggressive dirt bike knobbys have felt a bit oily. I can see those being hard to unmold, but they're headed for the dirt where it doesn't matter at all. Street tires? I might be wrong, but I doubt any simple street bike patterns have been manufactured using mold release for a long time.

I read the owners manual before I do anything.
WHAT ?!?

That's crazy talk....

The "He-Man Women Haters Club" says:

Thou shalt not ask for directions
Thou shalt not read the instructions
Thou shalt not voluntarily give up the TV remote

Continued violations require loss of your MAN CARD

😁😁😁

Just kidding...

🎄🎄Merry CHRISTmas 🎄🎄

Ha who would want to read 6 pages of drzsm lap timer procedures or 4 pages of 2022 klr650 fuel quality. Nonsense.....where can I order a gen3 fuel pump? Oh the doo...not even covered in an owners manual. I like the $100 in fuel and ride it like ya stole it! Ace win!

Roll it off trailer. (I NEVER ride unfamiliar bike in urban, semi urban, even close, in NA). tire pressures. Control and suspension adjustment tools in a bag. Four miles to 100% 93 fuel. 8 miles to all day Butler orange and red roads.

I hate corroded wiring connectors and frozen fasteners, so nip that in the bud on day one.

Greasing the wiring harness is something I like to do. Honda has a reputation of charging system failures due to corroded connectors causing things to overheat. I've rebuilt enough old bikes to be thoroughly annoyed at how many good bikes got parked because of funky wiring issues. All of it could've be prevented with some dielectric grease bring applied during assembly.

Last bike I bought new from a dealership was a '16 FZ 07. After riding home it got torn down on the lift. Every wiring connector packed with grease along with pulling the axles, swingarm pivot, etc to be greased. It was disappointing how corroded the axles on that bike were already. It'd never been outdoors until I rode home! Clean everything up, grease everything with water and heat proof silicone grease and put antisieze on everything going back together.

Double check chain slack and start wearing out tires.

Corrosion x works nice for electrical connectors. It actually wicks into the wire strands. The next choice for me is the clear purple tint dielectric grease. But corrosion x is way more versatile and convient. Salt equipment got never sieze mixed with grease to extend the life. 2yrs vs 10yrs in the salt with grease added.

As soon as i get any bike i buy home, i first empty all the cardboard boxes and plaster tubs out on the floor and try and take a mental note of what exactly is there and is obviously missing, replace any cardboard boxes that colapsed or were damp with new ones or 5 galon oil jugs with the top cut off if i got any laid about.
Next Look at the big bits frame wheels etc and rightly or wrongly i start with the fame tank and any seat or seat changes i might have in mind.
Just sayin .

Top Bottom Back Refresh