What's new

Wheel guns! show us your woods protection

Super Redhawk is an awesome revolver. Here's mine:

Toklat.jpg

There are 1000 lb bears in Alaska. I have read about hunters finding .44 mag bullets wedged in their fat layer while skinning them. In general, I think a few well placed shots with a magnum should work, but there isn't always time. I read about this encounter where a .454 Casull was just enough.

He used a Ruger Alaskan snubnose, which I think is about the smallest .454 Casull. It also has the benefit of being able to shoot the cheaper .45 Long Colt rounds. There are bigger calibers, but not with the option to shoot cheaper rounds.

1654491296712.png
That Alaskan has been my dream revolver for years

There are 1000 lb bears in Alaska. I have read about hunters finding .44 mag bullets wedged in their fat layer while skinning them. In general, I think a few well placed shots with a magnum should work, but there isn't always time. I read about this encounter where a .454 Casull was just enough.

He used a Ruger Alaskan snubnose, which I think is about the smallest .454 Casull. It also has the benefit of being able to shoot the cheaper .45 Long Colt rounds. There are bigger calibers, but not with the option to shoot cheaper rounds.

1654491296712.png
No Casull, but my dad's old .455 Webley packed a big punch. He carried it back in the 50's when hunting.

DaHVV4.jpg
0J8Q23.jpg
lgpJTm.jpg
HwNCEC.jpg

Thanks. My father was gifted it from a former RCMP officer back in the 30's. He had the holster made for it and the knife/hatchet combo. The problem is finding ammunition for it.
You might be able to hand load custom rounds. A .45 Long Colt case might be a good starting point. Trim down the brass, load it to a safe amount, using a lighter .45 ACP bullet. Something just shy of a "cowboy action" load would probably be good in something of that vintage.

edit:
It looks like Buffalo Bore makes it, but is out of stock: https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=594
Fiocci too, if you can find it: https://fiocchi.com/en/714550.html

This looks like an interesting read, but I don't have time to go down that rabbit hole just now. :lol3

1654491296712.png
Love that gun with 6 instead of 5 rounds.

The Redhawk and Super Redhawk are very strong and tough revolvers

They're tough enough to run the 475L and 500JRH cartridges

Here's a Super Redhawk that I built a 5-shot cylinder for running the 500JRH

Great packing little wheelgun
Lots of power

49664759071_2e8fa602f0_o.jpg

Here's a Redhawk and some blanked out cylinder and extractor assemblies getting closer to being big bore hotrods
Material is 17-4 stainless
50406285731_b679f24d23_o.jpg

Both models of Ruger double action revolver are excellent for field carry.

My Taurus Titanium Tracker in .357. It’s a sweetheart.

My real love is my .44 Alaskan, but it’s just so comically heavy and heavy duty. I couldn’t justify the poundage on my last ride. That Taurus is just so light, holds an extra round, and is maybe a bit easier to pack. The Alaskan has a 1-1/2” shorter barrel or whatever, but is otherwise just massive.

Attachments

• 8FFB389A-8306-4ABD-B1F1-50B07CBA650B.jpeg
    8FFB389A-8306-4ABD-B1F1-50B07CBA650B.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:
I think I'm seriously in love with this. What a beauty.

It's a honey for sure

Frame is modified for the heat treated oversized 17-4 cylinder

4" barrel
Barrel blank material was done at KKM, also heat treated

The grip stocks were done by Sack Peterson

Built on the Mini Vaquero Single Six
The grip frame is actually a bit smaller than the typical Single Six frame

Still a work in progress, it currently has a Bisley hammer, and I have a set of tritium vials for the front sight and the sighting rail of the frame top strap

It's very accurate, the cylinder was line bored specifically for the frame

Very tough and very strong
It's running 220gr at 1400fps
Little screamer
Super compact and light, great field piece

Top Bottom Back Refresh