What's new

Wheel guns! show us your woods protection

badweatherbiker

Member Number
Picked this one up recently as a camping/ hiking/ kayaking carry piece.

Taurus 605 defender, what are you using?

I have a big bore wheel gun for the northern hikes for anything larger than me.
IMG_20220427_105802851.jpg

PXL_20220528_025327270.jpg

This is my one and only wheelgun... A S&W Model 57 .41 magnum target.

Old man bought it when I was 9 years old or so... so I could chase mountain lions in the four corners region... It predates a lot of the S&W shenanigans, and thus has no safety lock hole.

Still have the wooden box and accouterments.

It came with dies, bullets, and a suggested loading for accuracy as well.

I've run the same 20 casings through it for 25 years now.

Last edited:
Maybe out west....but 9mm has been cited as a highly successful in close encounters with bear per studies.
Back east, a 357 will deal with anything in a close encounter.
That's good info as for the 9mm and a bit surprising actually. I carry one of those once in While as well

Old man bought it when I was 9 years old or so... so I could chase mountain lions in the four corners region... It predates a lot of the S&W shenanigans, and thus has no safety lock hole.

A beauty and a treasure as well. Once had a 586 that I still kick myself for letting go.

Nice old Smith!

A beauty and a treasure as well. Once had a 586 that I still kick myself for letting go.

Nice old Smith!

Interestingly enough, the original owner happens to be my uncle... and he's been interested in getting it back for many years now.

He'll be disappointed though, because I'm looking for a lever-action in .41 magnum to complement it.

That's good info as for the 9mm and a bit surprising actually. I carry one of those once in While as well
The study only looked at documented encounters. The story is out on the web somewhere, i don’t remember all of the details. But the jist I got was; it seemed to be the gun they had vs the optimal gun.

Here’s the study

It points to the fact, any caliber is better than nothing.

Last edited:
The study only looked at documented encounters. The story is out on the web somewhere, i don’t remember all of the details. But the jist I got was; it seemed to be the gun they had vs the optimal gun.

Here’s the study

It points to the fact, any caliber is better than nothing.
An interesting read and I think most of us that pack truly hope we never need it.

I think most owners of fire extinguishers also hope they never need it.
Then again, I hope I never need to use my spare tube on a ride.
I wish I could hit LIKE twice on this occasion, both are damn good points you've made here! Being prepared may seem extreme and sometimes unnecessary, but for that one time the odds are unfavorable....
I need to order a tube & irons for my Enfield.

There are 1000 lb bears in Alaska. I have read about hunters finding .44 mag bullets wedged in their fat layer while skinning them. In general, I think a few well placed shots with a magnum should work, but there isn't always time. I read about this encounter where a .454 Casull was just enough.

He used a Ruger Alaskan snubnose, which I think is about the smallest .454 Casull. It also has the benefit of being able to shoot the cheaper .45 Long Colt rounds. There are bigger calibers, but not with the option to shoot cheaper rounds.

1654491296712.png

Back
Top Bottom