What's new

Where to ride this summer.....

scottcolbath

Member Number
I'm pondering which direction I'm going to point the Busa this summer, for a long ride. It's been California too many times. I need to try some place different. The typical MO, is me and the girlfriend pick a place to visit. She flies to the destination, and I ride there. We rent a car and do stuff together, then I ride home. I typically put in a couple extra days at either end of my time with the girlfriend to do my own thing.

Good roads are always nice, but not mandatory. The destination just has to be some place interesting where she and I can enjoy some time together.

Toss out some suggestions.

S.C.

It is hard to beat CA for what you describe, especially northern CA, north of SF. The Mendocino area offers great riding, great wine and lots to do, if you have not yet been that far north.

Telluride in CO is another possibility, especially if you like to hike. You could also rent a Jeep and do some off road. Lots of places to stay both in the town, and in Mountain Village, which is a gondola ride away from the center of town...pretty cool. Great restaurant at the top called Allreds.

Lots of fun riding loops in the area.

It is hard to beat CA for what you describe, especially northern CA, north of SF. The Mendocino area offers great riding, great wine and lots to do, if you have not yet been that far north.

Telluride in CO is another possibility, especially if you like to hike. You could also rent a Jeep and do some off road. Lots of places to stay both in the town, and in Mountain Village, which is a gondola ride away from the center of town...pretty cool. Great restaurant at the top called Allreds.

Lots of fun riding loops in the area.

I do need to go further north in Kali. Wine country and Sacramento is about as far north as I've been. I want to hit up Eureka and that area some day, but I'm not sure there's much for the GF to do in Eureka.

Colorado is a place I've been to many times, and we are planning on returning, as soon as a friend picks a date for her friggin' wedding. That will be in Denver, so a day or two diversion with the GF in the Teluride/Ouray/Silverton area could be a great option.

S.C.

The northern CA coast is a stunning area, IMO. With great riding too. We were in Mendocino earlier this year.

I can highly recommend the Little River Inn.

Mexico City? :bubba
I love Mexico City ... don't know about the ride down/back though.

On a more realistic note, northern CA is great for hiking about (and riding of course). Idaho has great riding and hiking - don't know if your GF is outdoorsy like that, though.

Head over to Nashville - lots of music when you're there and I would think interesting routes for you and Busa wouldn't be too hard to find.

Asheville, NC ... yes, it rhymes with Nashville. It's a fun town and of course the surrounding mtns provide for many miles of good riding.

There are good roads up through Utah and into Colorado. I would head to where it is cool, but I hate the heat!

I've got no issue with heat. I'd rather ride in 100+ degree heat, than temps below 60 any day. All these years in Phoenix have made me a wuss when the temp drops.

That being said, I want to run up to Monticello, Utah, and then over into Colorado. There are a few options in that area to explore. That may be part of the ride when the friends get married.......whenever that happens.

S.C.

Newfoundland might be a little further than you want to ride.

My older brother, who lives in Massachusetts, loves that place. He's run up there a few times in the past ten years. It's not my thing. Too cold and wet. That being said, it might be cool to see ice bergs and puffins, by car.

S.C.

Mexico City? :bubba
I love Mexico City ... don't know about the ride down/back though.

On a more realistic note, northern CA is great for hiking about (and riding of course). Idaho has great riding and hiking - don't know if your GF is outdoorsy like that, though.

Head over to Nashville - lots of music when you're there and I would think interesting routes for you and Busa wouldn't be too hard to find.

Asheville, NC ... yes, it rhymes with Nashville. It's a fun town and of course the surrounding mtns provide for many miles of good riding.

If I manage to find myself down in the southeast, I'm absolutely going to factor in time for Nashville, and also find my way to the Jack Daniel's distillery. If there's time, run up to some of the bourbon spots in Kentucky.

Whatever you do, don't come to VT or NH. There are no twisty, mountain pass roads to be found, no seacoasts to cruise, no eclectic hole-in-the wall country stores, restaurants, attractions and moto gatherings to be found here.

That's the fall trip the girlfriend wants to do in a car. I suppose some day, I'll do that trip.

And I've spent way too much time in my yoot, up in New Hampshire and Vermont. My dad built the most excellent ski house on Tenney Mountain, outside Plymouth. Then, just down the road from there, he built another house which we were going to live in. Mom chickened out, so we stayed in Massachusetts.

S.C.

Whatever you do, don't come to VT or NH. There are no twisty, mountain pass roads to be found, no seacoasts to cruise, no eclectic hole-in-the wall country stores, restaurants, attractions and moto gatherings to be found here.
30,000+ miles in New England alone- VT is my favorite state to ride in. :thumb

Newfoundland is not very cold and wet anymore. Summers here are lovely and we've been suffering droughts the last few years. Great riding weather from June to October. I've been riding since February this year.

Newfoundland is not very cold and wet anymore. Summers here are lovely and we've been suffering droughts the last few years. Great riding weather from June to October. I've been riding since February this year.

3,700 miles one way. I may have to hang on to that R1100RT after all. :lol3

S.C.

Carolina Coast? Charleston is pretty awesome.

That's a possibility. The girlfriend wants to get back there. She says it's real nice. I'd have to make sure she can get the same time off as me. Her only problem is she doesn't have eight weeks of vacation to burn every year, like I do.

S.C.

Back
Top Bottom