What's new
  • If you don't frequent the chat forum, make sure you read this post regarding land usage. It would be great if we could get everybody to send a comment in before Oct 7th!

Winter 2022 Olympics

RideSallyRide

Is that what you're wearing?
ADV+
Member Number
I love the Olympics. I feel bad for the athletes at this one. All of the empty stadiums, no family there to cheer them on.

It's interesting to hear the commentators talk about the snow being all manmade for the slalom and the slopestyle snowboarding hill. It's wild to see completely bare mountains in the shots of these competitions.

NYT did a great write-up on what's happening. Apparently this is all taking place in a very arid part of China.

ZoomerP

Old Newb Adventurer
ADV+
Member Number
I was initially surprised that they didn't have a better location, but then I thought about how there may not be many well developed areas that could meet the demands of holding the Games near naturally snow covered mountains.

I've seen griping about the quarantine procedures. I'm not sure why anyone would expect different for such an event held there. Maybe those concerns will fade by 2024.

RideSallyRide

ADV+
Member Number
Super stoked to watch the snowboard cross that started yesterday! Like, who thought up racing on snowboards? Here for it.

Punkinhead

Member Number
1o0e6y4vilg81.jpg

RideSallyRide

ADV+
Member Number
I feel like the only event I might maybe be able to even try is cross country skiing. Oh, what about curling, you ask? I'd be like the falling mascot:

Mtnsandrivers

Member Number
Super stoked to watch the snowboard cross that started yesterday! Like, who thought up racing on snowboards? Here for it.
We have a few local snowboarders in the Olympics this year. Hagen Kearney in snowboard cross and Lucas Foster for halfpipe. Gus Kenworthy is also in it again for slopestyle skiing but competing for Great Britain since he is a dual citizen and it gave him one more chance to compete before he retires.

RideSallyRide

ADV+
Member Number
I've got the body and athleticism for curling.

_zNS0m4w8mEbeVkvHNGXDh_0yx0EEZ47-JZEPvU8CqI.jpg

I have the hair and the hat collection. My left hip flexor is way too tight from an old running injury to put my body in that position though, so unfortunately, I'm out.

Top Bottom