What's new

Winter 2022 Olympics

RideSallyRide

Is that what you're wearing?
ADV+
Member Number
I love the Olympics. I feel bad for the athletes at this one. All of the empty stadiums, no family there to cheer them on.

It's interesting to hear the commentators talk about the snow being all manmade for the slalom and the slopestyle snowboarding hill. It's wild to see completely bare mountains in the shots of these competitions.

NYT did a great write-up on what's happening. Apparently this is all taking place in a very arid part of China.

Super stoked to watch the snowboard cross that started yesterday! Like, who thought up racing on snowboards? Here for it.

1o0e6y4vilg81.jpg

I feel like the only event I might maybe be able to even try is cross country skiing. Oh, what about curling, you ask? I'd be like the falling mascot:

Super stoked to watch the snowboard cross that started yesterday! Like, who thought up racing on snowboards? Here for it.
We have a few local snowboarders in the Olympics this year. Hagen Kearney in snowboard cross and Lucas Foster for halfpipe. Gus Kenworthy is also in it again for slopestyle skiing but competing for Great Britain since he is a dual citizen and it gave him one more chance to compete before he retires.

I've got the body and athleticism for curling.

_zNS0m4w8mEbeVkvHNGXDh_0yx0EEZ47-JZEPvU8CqI.jpg

I have the hair and the hat collection. My left hip flexor is way too tight from an old running injury to put my body in that position though, so unfortunately, I'm out.

The high flying kid was absolutely amazing.

As someone who was nipping at the heals of some of the pro riders, around the turn of the century, I can not believe how big they are going today. Back in the day, 10’ out of the pipe was really big. He got 24’4” out.

The slope style was amazing too. On my best day, I could get a 720 with a single inversion, the pros were getting 900’s with a single inversion. Now they are doing triple inversions with 1600 or 1800 rotations.

Old man yells at cloud, off.

Do some of them cross train in diving or gymnastics?

That is what I would be cross training in, lots of trampoline time. Back in the day, we had a trampoline that we would train on but it was one without the sides and kind of sketchy. People would fly off, all the time.

Back
Top Bottom