What's new

Wiring trouble on an 08(mostly) Sprint ST

My coworker had a rough time with his triumphs. His answer was an optima desulfating charger. If that didnt work another battery fixed it. Those bikes were flawless but needed prime batteries. I got to ride both and was very impressed.

Kinda curious on this situation. A leaky injector could maybe causing an issue. Or any other liquid in the chamber. But if this is just a battery issue that would be great.

Rings will get sticky and free up with run time or add some marvels. I have bought a few bikes that blew blue smoke. And amazingly stopped after being treated to marvels and a few oil changes. The rings must have been stuck in the ring lands and freed up.

I hadn't thought of leaky injectors, the ones I chose didn't have any staining but I can definitely take a look at that. I had two sets and just choose the cleanest looking three lol

I've never even heard of a desulfating batter charger I might just grab a decent one to have

And I did run my valve specs on the loose side of spec so that definitely could be a thing. Turning it over by hand the compression felt excellent, will fire her up again tomorrow and see if the smoking is better. The smoking wasn't too thick even for that initial startup so I feel its pretty safe and just burning a little assembly oil that got on everything

do 3/4 cylinders use decompression mechanisms? I think I have only seen them on dirt bikes so far

I think most 3 and 4 cylinders do not have decompression devices.

The optima charger isnt cheap. But it is way more advanced than the battery tender brand. I borrowed the optima charger and was very impressed. It saved one of my batteries. The optima charger pulses the battery.

Yeah I've got a battery tender but they still seem to die no matter what, I'm kind of disappointed in that purchase.

I have tender brand chargers and at least 2 failed to work after some time. The working ones needed multiple on off cycles to get the batteries fully charged. I kinda gave up on the tenders. I use a heavy duty and a wall wart cheapo chargers.

Sorry about the wait guys but she lives! since last posting I did a kickstand bypass, made a mount for the dash, got a chain on her, and rode down the road with an almost non functional front brake. have been bleeding it over a few days and I believe that it is just too small of a master for the dual ninja 636 calipers, I must have gotten this off a bike with smaller calipers or a single caliper.

During the test ride she ran beautifully pulled hard enough for the small bits of throttle I was using and all the gauges worked so I am super happy, just need this brake master worked out and I wont feel to bad about commuting into work on her

Main issue that has me slightly worried at the moment is it does get smoky and I don't know from where. It doesn't appear to be coming from the exhaust any where, it looks almost like its coming from the bottom of the engine case. will spend some time tomorrow night and double check all the pan bolts and cover bolts are tight.\

also killed that new battery by forgetting to remove the "key" plug luckily it was only $30 or so lol

do 3/4 cylinders use decompression mechanisms? I think I have only seen them on dirt bikes so far
That's my bad then. My FZ07 had auto decomp ( along with all my thumpers) so I assumed it was standard fare on anything high compression. Reckon multiple cylinders chops up the CC load to a tolerable amount.

Regardless, glad to hear you got it going!

Interesting I didnt know the FZ07 had that, learn something new everyday! lol
The decomp on that CP2 gave a faint tapping noise that was just annoying enough to not ignore. I assumed my FZ 09 had it in the CP3 engine, but I looked in to it and it doesn't.

Looks like I just trade decomp noise for clutch noise 😁

Not to be completely off topic, when I bought my FZ 09 the PO was selling it to go back to a Triumph triple. I love my 09, but I never rode a Triumph triple and it's got me wondering if I'm missing out.

I rode my coworkers 2006 sprint a few times..the engine is that special. Too easy to speed. Jewel like low rpm with crazy torque and geared high. The 1050 was a nice blend of sound, smoothness, torque and revs.

I went to buy a aprillia tuono and test rode a street triple they just happen to have on hand, and not even a half mile down the road I was in love and never thought about that aprillia again lol. Even the short 10 mph jaunts up and down the road on the sprint have that exact same magic to it. I love the FZ09 engine but the triumphs just have a little something special to them.

My recent strom feels crude at low rpms compared. And at 4k rpm does sound nice but a 1050 would be gone by then. Normal riding was fast on the 1050. My coworker sold the mint bike afew years back with 30k for $3500. Bags and all. Heck of a deal. The downside was agressive ergos compared to what I like. And my coworker bought a 2014 bonnie. A beautiful bike that I rode with a tune and pipes. Both triumphs were nice bikes.

I guess Triumph doesn't offer this sort (800-900'ish cc) of engine anymore. The Street Triple 675 is a bit revvy and the new Street Triple 1200 is a bit much, price and otherwise. I really like the Tiger Sport 660, but want a bigger engine. They offer the Tiger 850 in a "sport" model, but it's pretty down on power and not on 17's. 80hp/60tq if I remember correctly.

Maybe I need to go find me an older bike. Daytona and Sprint engines the same?

The 675 daytona and streets are essentially the same, depending on year the daytonas have forged pistons and streets cast and the the daytonas run a slightly hotter cam
the 955 daytonas and speed are the same way I believe
and then the 1050 sprint and speed triples are the same engine

you can go the tiger 900 route that has a noticeable bump in power over the 800 but isnt in the same league as something like an fz09

Much of the wiring is done! the bike runs absolutely amazing, time now to start taking care of all the smaller annoying issues. Need to double check the tailight wiring as it doesnt light up when braking just stays constant, and the headlight is really weak. Will need to make some mounts for the front turn signals and then wire front and rear signals in and then I think the wiring will be all squared away!
I did pickup an proper charger and now she fires right up without needing to jump every single time. I also pulled apart my old Battery Tender and It was a little charred in a few spots, might explain why it never seemed to actually do anything for so long.
lRD1MAX_GAnI7&_nc_ad=z-m&_nc_cid=0&_nc_ht=scontent.jpg
W075sAX8KoGRw&_nc_ad=z-m&_nc_cid=0&_nc_ht=scontent.jpg

Top Bottom Back Refresh