What's new

Workshops What happened , Then and Now?

Why are typical home workshops in modern western countrys fancier than in past times. s

• Sheer affluence we have more cash

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • All the old farm buildings are Executive flats these days.

• We have pride and want to better ourselves

• A nice workshop is an asset/ investment in my property

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Prioritys have changed then and now

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • The cool factor, cool people have sparkling workshops

• Its comfort we spend more time in there and like the comfort.

• Nagging spuses with their own in house personal trainers

• Hell if i know

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Other

• Total voters

matty

Border raider.
Member Number
Born in 58 Growing up in the 60s/ 70s with a father who was a mechanic / Teacher , i went round a lot of interesting places met a lot of interesting people some of them talented some rougues too some i still know . Thing got me thinking the other day . workshops, They tended mainstream back then to be crude adopted buildings not the imaculate expensive palaces some have these days. I realize these days you still get either extreme worldwide , but i would say in the uk Northern region and what i see on media in other western nations its shall we say much posher than it was back in the day. Why and reasons/ factors.

Tools are both more capable/sophisticated and more available to the rank and file. They are also more delicate and require a cleaner location to function properly. That, and why work in filth when we do not have to?

Yes i get it jim its just it struck me as its probably struck you things were basic and effectively what was there was used. Like guns you wrere given the shotgun by grandad and it was what you used period, but by the mid 80s probably affluence had me getting what i wanted not just what was there. Now a better workshop than ever i had. Get the delicacy thing DROs on machines not just multoyo in the drawers etc. yep i get all that.

I think all of the reasons in your poll are reasonable, if not directly responsible.

For me it's mostly comfort and the fact that as time passes your are able to accumulate more things, but also because the things im interested in require a certain degree of cleanliness.

My HVAC system is reclaimed and even just running it periodically keeps the southern humidity from attacking my machine tools. I never would've spent the money for new HVAC equipment in my shop, so that's just a result of time passing before something crossed my path.

When I was a kid keeping a dirt bike and some lawn equipment going I didn't need much. Now that I'm rebuilding engines/suspension I need a clean space. And no grubby fingerprints on woodworking projects is a whole other concern.

Time and opportunity affords you things.

Top Bottom Back Refresh