What's new

Would you buy a scooter to save $?

Honda BIG Ruckus. Bought in '09 or thereabouts to have if/when I could no longer ride my Bonneville. It sat in the corner of the garage and I started out riding it just enough to keep its juices flowing. Its practicality grew on me and it soon became my primary 2 wheel transport.

Last edited:
My commute is really short.

If I had to save money on gas it would be doing less recreational motor activities

The money I saved riding a scooter wasn’t based on gas prices but on parking costs and space. Parking at the university was stupid expensive, like $490 a year if you could get a space (2-4 year wait list), and a motorcycle/scooter could park for $40 a year, space was still tight so the scooter worked much better than my Wee.

Bought a Honda SH150 that averages around 90 mpg, depending on if I take it on the highway (70-80 mpg) or not (100+ mpg).
I didn't buy it to save money but it is turning out to be the cheapest and funniest transport investment I've made.
It's so light and responsive that it's an absolute joy to ride.

Remember you can buy a used one for a grand, or you could anyway before prices on everything went crazy a few months ago. At that price it quickly becomes a free scooter.

I didn't buy my Yamaha Xmax to save money, I bought the bike to save my back. My back said NO! any time I had to pick up my adventure-ish Honda NC700XD.

Over here, in Athens, Greece" 2 wheels is about the only way to get downtown, daily trips to the shops and general transportation. Of course, those are the EXACT reason's I've got a Kymco AK550 and not a PCX. :brow

Yes, I buy scooters to save $$$!!!! If I had automobiles as a hobby and purchased as many of them as I have scooters, I'd be broke and deeply in debt.
As is, my scooter hobby keeps me in supply of my addiction with cheaper purchasing cost, lower financial loss when my items are damaged, and lower insurance cost.
Currently in negotiations with my CFO on my next purchase :lol3

Only if this classifies as scooter. I really want one.
2022-trail125-abs-glowing_red-650x380.png

There are many things that a scooter make. The scootercannonball lists the items below.
  • Unit construction of engine, transmission, and rear swingarm;
  • Wheels no larger than 10 inches;
  • Originally equipped with a step-through style frame;
  • Originally equipped with running boards or leg shield;
  • A single-cylinder engine design;
To be eligible for the run you need 3 out of 5. Also engine under 280cc.

I'd have added "2 wheels".

stbne, that's a good looking Silverwing !!

A friend's wife had one, I rode it about 15 yrs ago, nice riding machine. They sold it about 10 yrs ago, if I lived on a blacktop road I would have bought it. But I live on 8 miles of poorly maintained dirt road.

Top Bottom Back Refresh