What's new

WR250R Mega Thread

I am in the planning stages of adding a couple of small auxiliary LED lights to the front of my WR. What is your preferred method of wiring/switching auxiliary lights? At the moment I am planning to run a relay that is triggered by the high beam circuit with power coming straight from the battery. No switch would reduce clutter on the bars. Is there any downside I am overlooking?

Any recommendations for a relay that can handle life on a WR?

Eastern Beaver has some nice options

I upgraded my headlight to a lower draw LED and added 20w of auxiliary Denali LED directly to the high beam using no relay. It’s been a few years and no issues so far.

I’m not crazy about the way they shine back at me on reflective signage.

IIRC JNS engineering came out with a projector headlight for the WR. I’d prefer one good light over several auxiliary lights, but I also appreciate the redundancy should one of them give me troubles.

Best of luck. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

I had this on a different bike and it made wiring fairly easy.
D8DB41A5-76BB-4129-B92C-D96D73ACDA3B.jpeg

I upgraded my headlight to a lower draw LED and added 20w of auxiliary Denali LED directly to the high beam using no relay. It’s been a few years and no issues so far.

I’m not crazy about the way they shine back at me on reflective signage.

IIRC JNS engineering came out with a projector headlight for the WR. I’d prefer one good light over several auxiliary lights, but I also appreciate the redundancy should one of them give me troubles.

Best of luck. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
I have the JNS LED headlight. It is WAAAAAAY better than the stock unit. However, I have 12 miles of twisty deer laden county road to ride home and still want a little more light up front. I don't know why, but every time I ride the WR I am out way later than I anticipated...

Wiring straight to the headlight circuit didn't cross my mind. The stock headlight is rated at 55/60w. JNS on high is rated at 30w and the pods I am designing around are rated at 20w each (but only draw 18w on the bench). That's a max load of 70w. Can the WR harness support that? It's under 6 amps, but not being at the bike I don't know the wire size. Procycle seems to think the harness can support more:
1645202462772.png

:dunno

I had this on a different bike and it made wiring fairly easy.
D8DB41A5-76BB-4129-B92C-D96D73ACDA3B.jpeg

I have one of those on my WR. It makes wiring easier. I don’t think there is an option for a relay for driving lights. There is another fuse block on the market that does have that option (and it is all controlled by a phone). I can’t remember the name right now.

I just want to know why Yamaha ruined the wr with a 4 stroke. I'm still kicking myself for getting rid of the 2t wr250 years ago. Figured I could just replace it later and had to get a moto bike. Big mistake.

I just want to know why Yamaha ruined the wr with a 4 stroke. I'm still kicking myself for getting rid of the 2t wr250 years ago. Figured I could just replace it later and had to get a moto bike. Big mistake.

The YZ250X is pretty close to what the old WR was. The WR 200 was the sweetheart.

The proof of concept worked out surprisingly well with auxiliary lights mounted to the reflector bracket.
1646149819167.png
1646150006031.png

Now I need to clean up the wiring. My plan is to utilize a couple of Micro Relays and an old R6 fusebox. Two circuits will be ON and two circuits will be SWITCHED with the key. This should all fit behind the headlight and be 'future proof' for additional stuff.

1646149749713.png

:dunno

I finished up the auxiliary wiring behind the headlight based on the diagram above.

I removed the high beam pin from the headlight socket and soldered on a pigtail for the aux light relay.
1646667139841.png

This is where I found an easy to access "ignition on" trigger. I once again removed the pin from this connector and soldered on a pigtail for the relay that controls the "switched on" circuits.
1646667274929.png

During the assembly I broke my own rule for automotive wiring...I did not use any plugs or connectors. Ordinarily I'd use waterproof connectors, but due to the limited space behind the headlight I simply soldered and covered with adhesive lined heat shrink. Doing this reduced a lot of bulkiness from the harness.
1646667454281.png

As I started taping and tucking the harness back I checked for clearance with the handlebars turned left and right. It all fits behind the headlight with room to spare.
1646668145869.png

Anyone need a complete WR250R motor? I have a complete motor from a wrecked bike that had low miles. I am not sure how to ship, I guess I can buy a plastic rubbermaid container.
My motor still needs a CS shaft, but the oil smell was from the wife's high mile CRF230.

I needs a headlight though 😩

Anyone need a complete WR250R motor? I have a complete motor from a wrecked bike that had low miles. I am not sure how to ship, I guess I can buy a plastic rubbermaid container.
Shipping a motor is probably going to be pretty pricey these days. Shipping costs went way up with the Covid. I see them going up even more with the price fuel going way up again.

That said, if the price is right and some one needs a motor the Shipping cost is the least of someone's worries.

Thoughts on wind screen for the WRR? Do they really do anything for you on the street? Do they get in the way on the trail? I hate riding into the wind, but I live in Kansas where the wind always blows so its unavoidable if you want to ride. I'm 6'3" and sit up higher on the bike that a lot of folks and don't know if a windscreen would do anything for me or not.

Top Bottom Back Refresh