What's new

WTF is with Kawasaki dirt bike throttle grips?

boomsling

Be like water
Member Number
Changing out the grips on our dirtbikes. The stock throttle grips are impossible to remove. Kawasaki used the flaming glue of Jesus to install the grips. I had to order aftermarket throttle tubes so I could change the grips. Jeeezus.

Changing out the grips on our dirtbikes. The stock throttle grips are impossible to remove. Kawasaki used the flaming glue of Jesus to install the grips. I had to order aftermarket throttle tubes so I could change the grips. Jeeezus.
Sometimes there is glue or chemical break down provides its own adhesive. I stick a small flathead and pry up and stick a wd40 straw in the gap. Air is everyone's favorite but slicing works well.

Sometimes there is glue or chemical break down provides its own adhesive. I stick a small flathead and pry up and stick a wd40 straw in the gap. Air is everyone's favorite but slicing works well.
I usually use compressed air with no problem. This throttle grip seems to be fused to the tube. I looked a little deeper into it. According to the KLX forums, this is normal. Most people just throw away the stock throttle tube with the grip on it and buy an aftermarket one.

Sometimes so stubborn the only way to remove them is a wire wheel on a bench grinder.

I've gotten spoiled to bolt on grips anyway. ODI Rouge being my favorite. US made. Like John said, new throttle tubes are needed every so often, and most bolt on grips come with an assortment of throttle cams to play with.

Big plus is they are easily removable if you need to slip a clutch perch off the bars or something. About $25/pr I'm done with glueing or wiring grips on.

I had this issue with my DRZ. As in, not really glue, but more like the rubber was molded right into the plastic or something. I fought with it with a razor blade for 30 min, then trashed it and ordered an aluminum tube. I’m not convinced the aluminum ones are a better solution, but that’s what’s easy to find.

I'll assume KLRs are the same way. Both my DR and DRZ had the molded grip to the throttle tube. I used a motion pro for a Yamaha R6 I believe on the DRZ to get a shorter throttle throw. Works like a charm on those bikes.

I had no problem getting the OEM grips off both of our KLX230S's, but it will be a totally different story when it comes time to replace the Bikemaster heated grips I replaced them with. Those have to be pounded into place with a rubber mallet... they aren't coming back off in one piece.

Back
Top Bottom