What's new

XR650L

It is kind of quiet. I'll start a conversation. I'm planning an all dirt road ride (or as much dirt as I can find) from KC to Branson this weekend, weather permitting. It'll be a lot of straight roads close to home, but should get a little more interesting around Lake of the Ozarks and Chadwick. My son lives in Springfield, so I'll spend the night there and then find a different route home on Sunday.

I did something similar last summer when I rode out to western Kansas (WaKeeney) where I grew up. The ride out was great, but it rained hard most of the way home. I had to stay on paved roads on the return leg. A couple of shots from that ride below. The first one actually showed up as a road on Google Maps.

2021-08-28 14.53.01.jpg

2021-08-28 12.40.57.jpg

in Tejas have a lot of similar "roads"

Just be sure and dodge the cows and buffalo while riding them roads

It is kind of quiet. I'll start a conversation. I'm planning an all dirt road ride (or as much dirt as I can find) from KC to Branson this weekend, weather permitting. It'll be a lot of straight roads close to home, but should get a little more interesting around Lake of the Ozarks and Chadwick. My son lives in Springfield, so I'll spend the night there and then find a different route home on Sunday.

I did something similar last summer when I rode out to western Kansas (WaKeeney) where I grew up. The ride out was great, but it rained hard most of the way home. I had to stay on paved roads on the return leg. A couple of shots from that ride below. The first one actually showed up as a road on Google Maps.

2021-08-28 14.53.01.jpg

2021-08-28 12.40.57.jpg

Drove with a friend from east coast to denver, we got off on some side roads in kansas just to see what it was like, there were actually some cool little twisty somewhat hilly dirt roads!

I guess I should follow up. Weather was good, so I was able to do the ride to Springfield, MO and back a couple of weekends ago. I had a hard time finding gravel that didn't dead end, so it ended up being about half and half dirt vs pavement. Still overall a good fun ride.

Sorry for the lack of pics. I was using my iPhone for GPS (as I usually do), and the vibration finally got the best of my camera.

oh, the dreaded camera "Image Stabilization Chip error".
I've had a few of them too.

Love the XR650L , my mates got one had it years. I would have one myself But despite having two XL500s over a 25 year period and wanting to stay brand loyal, after riding one even at 6 foot and longish legs it just seemed a bit too tall for my tastes. A Two year work comute bike srx 600 turned my head from honda and i bought my curent xt600E 1997 in the 2000s and i still have it and always will.
I Have seen my mate struggle with the tallnes on many occasions and i even started a thread more or less about this very seat height subject a year or so ago.
not really sure why the 650L seems so tall it looks not a lot diferent just looking at it but on it its not for me , a big shame because i like the bike generaly.

Love the XR650L , my mates got one had it years. I would have one myself But despite having two XL500s over a 25 year period and wanting to stay brand loyal, after riding one even at 6 foot and longish legs it just seemed a bit too tall for my tastes. A Two year work comute bike srx 600 turned my head from honda and i bought my curent xt600E 1997 in the 2000s and i still have it and always will.
I Have seen my mate struggle with the tallnes on many occasions and i even started a thread more or less about this very seat height subject a year or so ago.
not really sure why the 650L seems so tall it looks not a lot diferent just looking at it but on it its not for me , a big shame because i like the bike generaly.

The stock seat height is certainly in the nosebleed section for the inseam challenged! There was a time when I had that cocky dirt bike rider attitude and getting one toe down was all that mattered. I just acquired a Yamaha WR250R with a Yamalink and must say I rather like it that way!:lol3

There's something special about those old school Honda 600 and 650 thumpers. Even my fellow ageing riding buddies eye's will light up a bit when talking about them. I'm glad Honda is still stamping those things out, for the time being anyway.:beer

Emig has some lowering links and other slick parts for the xr. Some how I flat foot the klr with knee bend at 5'9". My rxv was the tallest bike I've owned.

Back
Top Bottom