What's new

Yamaha Enduro Thread

TrikeKid

Member Number
I can't be the only one with some of these hanging around. I've quit hoarding so I'm down to just these two now, sent my DT3 and XT500 projects down the road last summer.

This 900ish mile AT1 came out of my dad's collection. Just replaced the original tires a few months ago so I could ride it around town in a slightly safer fashion. Aside from those the pipe and the Powerdynamo ignition she's as original as can be.

PXL_20210620_183017482_2.jpg

This LT3 I found for $75 a couple years ago. Didn't roll, didn't kick over. I rebuilt the motor then let it languish in the corner of the garage while I worked on other things. Just fired it up last weekend, now it needs just about everything else. Every part of this bike is pretty hammered but it at least runs good now.
IMG_20190907_185227.jpg

Last edited:
love it. i think my Dad got a Dt2 (250?) as his second bike. Mom bought him a Honda 350 for his birthday, after a year, he gave it to his brother and bought the yammie. they both raced these at the old.......Alabama motor speedway moto cross track.....came in last.....

I picked up this 78 (if I remember correctly) DT250 in May of 2018. I spent a year trying to get it running and cleaned up, but then I bought a WR and the DT just sits in the shop...not running.

1644528660702.png

I have no idea why somebody painted it so ugly!

Spent a lot of time on a 77 DT250 as a teenager. That thing was tough as nails. While a pined for a newer YZ or KX, that ole DT served me well.

My '73 AT-3 125. This is the bike that I wanted back in '73, when I was fourteen. Of course, Dad said no. I picked this one up in 2000, when I was 40. I was casually browsing Ebay and saw it. It didn't run, no title, lights didn't work, rotten tires, etc. I did notice the tank was in surprisingly good condition for one that old. I put in a low bid as a lark. The next day, I had a notification that I won. I told my wife, "I guess were going to Omaha next weekend." We lived in Oklahoma. I put a few hundred dollars in it, got it running, titled, and tagged and mostly used it for a pit bike or a local bike. When my daughter turned 14, she got her endorsement and rode it for several years. It's no longer running and just sits in the corner of the garage. It will be one of my retirement projects in a couple years.

vaLa3Ec.jpg

6HYCymq.jpg

I5twwXB.jpg

kristin001.jpg

My '73 AT-3 125. This is the bike that I wanted back in '73, when I was fourteen. Of course, Dad said no. I picked this one up in 2000, when I was 40. I was casually browsing Ebay and saw it. It didn't run, no title, lights didn't work, rotten tires, etc. I did notice the tank was in surprisingly good condition for one that old. I put in a low bid as a lark. The next day, I had a notification that I won. I told my wife, "I guess were going to Omaha next weekend." We lived in Oklahoma. I put a few hundred dollars in it, got it running, titled, and tagged and mostly used it for a pit bike or a local bike. When my daughter turned 14, she got her endorsement and rode it for several years. It's no longer running and just sits in the corner of the garage. It will be one of my retirement projects in a couple years.

vaLa3Ec.jpg

6HYCymq.jpg

I5twwXB.jpg

kristin001.jpg

Super cool!:clap This thread takes me back to 1979 when I got my first street legal bike, a '76 DT125 at age 15. Good on you for introducing that bike to your daughter :thumb. By today's standards those bikes are... but what an awesome start for her on two wheels! You planted the bike seed and set a lifelong example with that bike. It will be a fun restoration project when you retire.:dj Be proud Dad!

She actually started at age six, then quit for several years. When her stepmom got a small dirtbike, she started riding it some and it renewed her interest. When she turned 14, she got her endorsement and started riding the Yamaha. She's 25 now and still rides occasionally.

kristinsuzukiride.jpg

I got a '76 red/white DT125 (used) for my 12th bday. That poor bike was tough as granite. It set me up as a Yamaha fan to this day.

Not sure but legit street title/paperwork always adds value at buying and selling. Steel rims are a plus from a corrosion stand point. Aluminum might look fine but could be ruined. I have no idea what a mint bike is worth or parts availability. But finding anything with a title and running or a little work is getting kinda rough.

Ain't that the truth !
But a mild port clean up and radius the port edges is satisfying. The fingers crossed moment of ba ba ring da ding with no snags is gold. On a good side of such a purchase...what magneto, cdi and coil vs anything modern. No tulipped valves, no crappy heads. No balancer chains.

A title is super easy to get for any vehicle (motorcycle in considered a vehicle) that is over 35 year old in Kansas if you use the state bill of sale form. I bought my nonrunning 78 DT without a title for $500 and I thought it was a bargain :dunno One that runs and can be ridden should be worth at least $1k.

I got one project bike that tried to streess me to the max over paperwork. It was all pieced together from mostly new parts. It collects dust. My bdl primary drive on that bike cost more than 1500. Good lesson in life. One day I'll figure it out.

The dt is cool! 30 yrs ago I had an it400 that pretty much is one of the most exciting bikes I have ridden. Haha If the bike is purchased...I'm looking foward to the work done. If it is the same klr owner that I think...was very nice work on the klr. And nice pics of the process!

Back
Top Bottom