What's new

Yamaha MT's

Teckel

Seriously?
Member Number
MT-03_a.jpg
MT-03_b.jpg

Here is my latest toy. It's a Yamaha MT-03

The first time I saw one of the R-3's sitting on the showroom floor, I immediently thought it would be too under powered for any serious fun. Recently I saw they had used one sitting out front and I asked to take a test ride. I was really impressed with the handling and the smooth engine right up to redline. I had been thinking about a used Kawasaki Ninja 250 for some curvy backroad fun until this test ride. I found a new 2021 MT-03 for $5100 out the door. This is basically an R3 without the bodywork.

Anyone else out there enjoying one of these little gems?

I bought a 2015 fz07 did nitron front and rear, SS brake lines and better pads, QS, tune. Aside from the suspension the best mod is protaper RM bend. Completely changed the bike. I set out to build a Yamaha Duke 07-R. The Duke just disappears out from under you,like riding a magic carpet such a great bike to ride. Slipper clutch too. I'd like to get one for the FZ. My GF is just getting her 1st bike and an R3 or MT03 is on top of the list. A big plus is I can race it in AHRMA.

Here is my latest toy. It's a Yamaha MT-03

The first time I saw one of the R-3's sitting on the showroom floor, I immediently thought it would be too under powered for any serious fun. Recently I saw they had used one sitting out front and I asked to take a test ride. I was really impressed with the handling and the smooth engine right up to redline. I had been thinking about a used Kawasaki Ninja 250 for some curvy backroad fun until this test ride. I found a new 2021 MT-03 for $5100 out the door. This is basically an R3 without the bodywork.

Anyone else out there enjoying one of these little gems?

Picking up a left over 2020 model for The_Filly (primarily) on May 2nd. Have a long list of accessories ordered for it & most have already arrived. Racks & 3 pieces of Shad luggage, has already arrived

I always liked the Mk1 MT03 which was a pretty radical design and fitted with the bomb proof XT650 lump.

2009_MT03_Sport Touring_RYC1 Extreme Yellow.jpg

I also loved the original MT-01, 1670 cc of lunacy. :D:D

1920px-Yamaha_MT-01_-_2006_model_-_front_right.jpg

I have a 2016 FZ09. The engine is phenomenal. The stock suspension was dogshit but easily cured with a new shock and revalving/springing the front. I've had several bikes with ABS and never felt it was necessary. This bike is different - it's geometry makes it really easy to lift the rear. I've been wanting to replace it with a new MT09SP so I can get not only ABS but a slipper clutch and electronic cruise but they've been unobtainable since covid. Maybe in another year or two.

There's a familiar set of curves I like to play on not far from my house. Running in 2nd gear and averaging 60-80mpg has the 09 engine in the juicy part of the rpm range. Running in B mode because it's butter smooth, this thing easily pulls the front end up exiting corners with just throttle roll-ons at those speeds. Fucking love this motorcycle. Ktech sorted out the suspension for me. New shock, proper springs and fork revalve all in for $750. They're a fantastic value.

Had a '16 FZ 07 prior. Bought new, flogged it for 28,000 miles and loved it. Ohlins fork cartridges and a custom built shock from a CBR on that bike. The handling on that bike was phenomenal.

I miss the feel and sound of the 07, but at 6'2 I feel much better on the 09. And the CP3 is just mental.

IMG_20220723_230149182.jpg

Last edited:
I also loved the original MT-01, 1670 cc of lunacy. :D:D

1920px-Yamaha_MT-01_-_2006_model_-_front_right.jpg

I lusted after the old MT01 back in the day as well, but I don't think they were ever offered in the states. I owned a Road Star Warrior for several years, and I believe they shared an engine. That would have been one fun ride.

Does anyone know if the MT-03 has the take off assist feature. Not sure what Yamaha calls it but it adds a little throttle as the clutch is released, anti-stall? I can not find anything definitive.

03's have a standard cable throttle vs ride by wire, so it's unlikely they've added that feature.

03's have a standard cable throttle vs ride by wire, so it's unlikely they've added that feature.
Thats what I was thinking but didn't the some of the smaller Suzukis and Kawasakis have it? I could swear its doing it on its own

Thats what I was thinking but didn't the some of the smaller Suzukis and Kawasakis have it? I could swear its doing it on its own
I'd be lying if I said I knew. Suzuki and Kawasaki haven't grabbed my attention in ages.

Top Bottom Back Refresh