What's new

Yamaha Sight

Ausfahrt

Member Number
I'm not a scooter guy but my wife has expressed an interest in possibly getting one. The Yamaha Sight certainly has caught my attention but of course it is not available in the USA.

It's a 115cc under square single with FI and a manual 4 speed transmission and chain drive. The fuel mileage claims are nothing short of spectacular and 200 mpg is not unusual. Interesting.

https://www.topgear.com.ph/moto-sapiens/motorcycle-review/review-yamaha-sight-115-a2634-20190527

1657574173351.png

It looks interesting. With 8.5 HP performance should be pretty close to the Super Cub. If they brought over a slightly bigger version with around 10-12 HP I might be interested. Even with only 8.5 HP, if it's light enough performance might be acceptable. I have read that in many countries these types of bikes are commonly hopped up and pretty fast.

It looks interesting. With 8.5 HP performance should be pretty close to the Super Cub. If they brought over a slightly bigger version with around 10-12 HP I might be interested. Even with only 8.5 HP, if it's light enough performance might be acceptable. I have read that in many countries these types of bikes are commonly hopped up and pretty fast.

It says the weight is 211 pounds, that should make it a good bit more sporty than the Hondas.

Given that Honda can't keep up with the demand for it's mini motos, I think it would make sense for Yamaha to offer some competition.

I think that the secret to the Sight's great mpg numbers is fuel injection coupled with a real 4 speed manual transmission. CVTs are convenient and user friendly but can be inefficient.

Last edited:
I think that the secret to the Sight's great mpg numbers is fuel injection coupled with a real 4 speed manual transmission. CVTs are convenient and user fiendly but can be inefficient.
Manual trannies are more efficient. Combine that with an efficient engine and light weight and you get great MPGs. However, Fuel mileage of tiny bikes like this is also heavily dependent on the speed and type of riding. I think that Honda claims something some ridiculous gas mileage for the Super Cub but if you ride it anywhere near real world speeds you won't get anywhere near the claimed MPG. I doubt the wave would get anywhere near 200 MPG at 50MPH + speeds. Ridden at mostly 40 MPH and below it might.

Another great feature of the wave compared to most scooters is that everything is exposed so servicing it would be super easy. I was especially thinking of valve checks/adjustments.

Back
Top Bottom