What's new

Yamaha Super Tenere info, discussion, etc.

I had to do a set of seals on my pumpkin once. The hardest part was keeping it in the vise while I was trying to take it apart.

I changed out the rear turn signal on my '16 after a deer decided to give it ED. What a pain in the ass. It is reassuring that the wiring on this bike is really well protected.

I changed both front turn signals a couple years ago on my 2012. The right one the rubber had rotted and broke in the middle causing a big droop. Seemed like I had half the front of the bike apart to change the right one, so while it was apart I changed the left to be safe. The rear ones have been fine.

This morning I changed the final drive seal on the pumpkin. Its has been weeping slightly for a year or so. It finally wept enough to drip on the garage floor so I decided it was time to change it. I also pulled the pumpkin and drive shaft to inspect the driveshaft side seal. It was not leaking. While apart I cleaned the driveshaft splines and put new moly on the splines. Took me about an hour and half. I used this video as a guide.

I changed both front turn signals a couple years ago on my 2012. The right one the rubber had rotted and broke in the middle causing a big droop. Seemed like I had half the front of the bike apart to change the right one, so while it was apart I changed the left to be safe. The rear ones have been fine.

This morning I changed the final drive seal on the pumpkin. Its has been weeping slightly for a year or so. It finally wept enough to drip on the garage floor so I decided it was time to change it. I also pulled the pumpkin and drive shaft to inspect the driveshaft side seal. It was not leaking. While apart I cleaned the driveshaft splines and put new moly on the splines. Took me about an hour and half. I used this video as a guide.

The 2016 lights are LED which is good because I don't have to change bulbs but if the rubber goes to hell, that sucks. I had to do one of the internal seals last year. It wasn't difficult but tedious lacking the proper 2"? socket.

The 2016 lights are LED which is good because I don't have to change bulbs but if the rubber goes to hell, that sucks. I had to do one of the internal seals last year. It wasn't difficult but tedious lacking the proper 2"? socket.
That seal was not leaking so I didn't touch it, the one I changed was a piece of cake. Drilled a hole and pulled it out with a screw.

Hi Guys,
Always been a Yamaphobe. Had XS1100's, XT's TT's, RD's etc etc.

Always yearned for a 1200XT Tenere but when the time came opted for a BMW 1150 and then a 1200GS.
What have I missed by not buying the Yamaha? Who has / had both and can give me real seat of the pants feedback on the relative merits of the Yamaha?

My boss at work changed from a 1200 Tiger to a 1200 BMW and loves the balance better on the BMW. I suspect the Yamaha would also feel more top heavy?

Now at 68 years of age seriously thinking maybe the 700 Tenere when I decide to change. Still love the 1200 though.

Hi Guys,

Always yearned for a 1200XT Tenere but when the time came opted for a BMW 1150 and then a 1200GS.
What have I missed by not buying the Yamaha? Who has / had both and can give me real seat of the pants feedback on the relative merits of the Yamaha?

My boss at work changed from a 1200 Tiger to a 1200 BMW and loves the balance better on the BMW. I suspect the Yamaha would also feel more top heavy?

Now at 68 years of age seriously thinking maybe the 700 Tenere when I decide to change. Still love the 1200 though.
I've ridden the 1200 GS two miles so take it FWIW. The GS is a dang spaceship compared to the S10. The tech is not really even in the same league. I am a millennial and like technology but don't know how much I would use it on a bike. The two bikes I have owned are a KLR and S10 so I don't have extensive experience as to how much my riding would be affected by tech. I am super set/forget with my manual suspension and tire pressure adjustments. The Yamaha is probably a bit more top heavy but that's only noticeable at low speeds.

The HP difference ruffles some feathers but the S10 is still good for 110MPH or so and can get me arrested in 4th gear. That power means nothing if you don't have the traction for it which the GS has smarter traction control so you can put the power down better.

Just spooned on some Road 5s. Oh these are smooth.
PXL_20220726_022025489.jpg

Hi Guys,

You mean Yamahaphile...a Yamahaphobe would be one who fears and loathes the brand.

Winter is coming here in the land of cheese and approaching 30k miles, my Super Tenere is due for a valve check. While I am in there, I want to take care of any additional maintenance.

Here's my current list:
Valve check/adjustment
Spark plugs
Spark Plug o-rings
Valve cover gasket if necessary.
Touch up crash guard paint

Am I missing anything that I should do while I have the tank off?

Winter is coming here in the land of cheese and approaching 30k miles, my Super Tenere is due for a valve check. While I am in there, I want to take care of any additional maintenance.

Here's my current list:
Valve check/adjustment
Spark plugs
Spark Plug o-rings

Looks like a pretty good to do list. I am almost at 60K. Guess I better think about a valve adjustment soon.

Here's my current list:
Valve check/adjustment
Spark plugs
Spark Plug o-rings

KN air filter cleaning and oil

Here's my current list:
Valve check/adjustment
Spark plugs
Spark Plug o-rings

New air filter, clean the air box drain, check the throttle body sync, and change out the coolant.

Top Bottom Back Refresh