What's new

Yamaha Super Tenere info, discussion, etc.

MacG

Member Number
A place for all things Super Tenere. Mine is a 2015, has been a great bike.

8BBD3900-8CA5-4AFC-902A-761A54A611D6.jpeg

I recently bought my 5th Super Tenere…..a new 2021 S10 ES last November. I previously owned a new blue PDP 2012 S10, sold it to someone looking for one on advrider.com, bought a new 2013 white S10, traded it and bought a matte gray 2013 when Yamaha was blowing out leftovers in 2014??, sold it and bought a 2nd Gen used red 2015, and rode it until it was traded in on my current 2021 ES. I have about 150,000 miles on a Super Tenere.

The bike fits me great at 6’4” with a 35” inseam. Also, I’ve switched over as many accessories possible with each bike change; especially my MicaTech bags on SW Motech racks.

I tend to stick with what works and fits me……I owned three Honda ST1300s, nine different KLR650s over 25 years, and three different Suzuki DR350S motorcycles.

15251A1F-A897-46A3-BFBF-D8F6969FBF89.jpeg

Last edited:
How big of a handful are these machines on gravel and two track? I'm sure they wonderful on the slab, but a friend of mine is trying to talk me into getting one as all my friends are going to larger machines. A DR650 had been my heavy bike for the last 9 years. Great bike, slow and simple, not unlike myself, but miserable on long slab rides.

On easy gravel and two track they are fine. They will do rougher stuff if the rider is up to the challenge.

The biggest thing is they are hard to pick up a bunch of times if you get in a situation where you drop the bike a bunch of times.

If your buddies are riding big adventure bikes you guys will probably stick to roads that are easier to ride and you will either be fine, or have help picking up the bike when you drop it.

If financially possible, I would buy an S10 and keep the DR to cover all of your bases except true single track.

Thanks for the info, actually that's what I'm thinking as far as keeping the DR, I also have a single track weapon when those times come about. Of course, as with many, my toy box, needs to get bigger as I'm also housing my two son's bikes. Maybe the time will come to part ways with the DR, but not in the foreseeable future.

As far as protection, crash bars and skid plate sufficient? Or are there other areas that also need attention?

Thanks for the info, actually that's what I'm thinking as far as keeping the DR, I also have a single track weapon when those times come about. Of course, as with many, my toy box, needs to get bigger as I'm also housing my two son's bikes. Maybe the time will come to part ways with the DR, but not in the foreseeable future.

As far as protection, crash bars and skid plate sufficient? Or are there other areas that also need attention?
Those two and real hand guards and you are good to go. Just research what you buy for a skid plate and how they mount to the bike.

Any suggestions as far as brand or what I should look for in a skid plate?
I have a Rumbux on mine. It is one of the few systems that doesn't connect directly to the engine. They are out of business now. I am not sure what is out there now, since the Rumbux went on my bike back in 2013. If you are only going to be riding easier stuff it probably doesn't matter what you use. I would search around on here and see what people are using these days:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom