What's new

Yamaha xt600

03gixxerpilot

Member Number
I am new to the world of dirtbike/off road riding, although i have been riding road based bikes gsxr 1100 and gsxr 1000 and others for more than 35 years.

Keen to see what is out there

This is what i have ended up with.
295828186_4936301583142237_8212703495514288044_n.jpg

My first thumper, and I owned two of them. It introduced me to dirt, and to wheelies. It will run without a battery. Good for fire roads and mellow two-track trails. Excellent for "goat trail" paved roads. Not good for actual off-road trails.

I am new to the world of dirtbike/off road riding, although i have been riding road based bikes gsxr 1100 and gsxr 1000 and others for more than 35 years.

Keen to see what is out there

This is what i have ended up with.
295828186_4936301583142237_8212703495514288044_n.jpg
What year is that?

I have had an XT600E model for 20 years its a 1997, detail different to that 80s model aloy rear footrest brackets no kick start as standard and other detail differences.
Its the Last bike i would ever sell, i had honda XL500s for 27 years before the yamaha and of the two breeds i do prefer the Yamaha myself.
No issues with mine other than a simple broken wire in the rear harnes (Ignition) that had me stripping and cleaning the YDIS card system more times than i care to mention, i learned a lot and ended up with probably the best set up and cleanest YDIS carbs in Europe only to eventualy discover my fuel fault was indeed electrical which can often be the case.
Misdiagnosis aside the bike is awesome rides well i swapped out the fork springs for hagons and was all set to fit a kick start off earlier model, but never bothered in the end and sold the parts on ebay for a healthy profit .
Still on the XT600Es steel rims and 17 and 21 front respectfully but i would like an 18 rear and aloy rims but again probably will never happen.
Used mine for touring and gravel roads river banks etc, its not imaculate tank air flutes are now gone and thank bags and such like a few marks and add to this it was stolen which wrecked the twin xt600e clocks even thought the two hours it was out my sight i know it never ran as it was suffering the ign issue at the very time.
New Leavers a lower pair of gold renthal bars a scott stabiliser and acewell are on now along with bigger XJ900 square headlight on xj modified subframe with stock xt600e suround modified of course. run stock exhaust its not only structural but when i made a frame brace and fitted a vance can it was louder ungainly and with the brace not that much a saving on weight as first though so went back to stock pipe and happy with it. just use wolfman bags and no rack or under tail mudguard section anymore .
love the bike hope you like yours.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom