What's new

Your Bike and an Interesting Sign

Eden, NY 2012- made it there right before they closed after a long day's riding. A really neat place using old lineshaft stamping machinery.

eden-1.jpeg

Last edited:
I shot this one from my bike and on the fly, so apologies for the crap focus, framing, etc.
I finally got to see some sheep in front of the sheep warning sign!
Goat Sign.JPG
Now THAT is cool - so many times you wonder just how necessary some of those signs are. West of me on US 19 near the west coast of Florida near Homossassa FL there are bear warning signs, and a riding buddy who lives in the area has never seen one (and he rides a lot more than I do). Nice catch BTW, and for something that cool there's no worries about focus/framing/etc. You got the real deal showing off for the sign readers!

Now THAT is cool - so many times you wonder just how necessary some of those signs are. West of me on US 19 near the west coast of Florida near Homossassa FL there are bear warning signs, and a riding buddy who lives in the area has never seen one (and he rides a lot more than I do). Nice catch BTW, and for something that cool there's no worries about focus/framing/etc. You got the real deal showing off for the sign readers!
I see those sheep all the time, but never right in front of a sign. Lucky to get the pic before they fucked off up the hill.

^^ Do you have any info on how and if those folks at the end of that road were able to rebuild their community?

I believe everyone who was evacuated were back in the community by Christmas after trucking in modular homes and/or rebuilding. I was going to go back last year again but the reservation was closed to visitors due to covid.

I was there when the wildfire was active. I rode out a few hours before they started evacuating people and the fire engulfed parts of the village soon after.

Last edited:
Jodie Foster had it right in Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore: Tucson's weird. In so many ways...but Stravenue?

Our own created nomenclature, used only here.

Stravenue.

Can you imagine sitting around and thinking, "we need a new name for that paved thing you drive cars on. I know, let's call it a Stravenue. Hell, I'll bet no one else will call it that."

Yup.

According to Arizona Highways:

The Old Pueblo, like Phoenix, is mostly laid out in a grid, with the vast majority of streets running either north-south or east-west. But in both cities, there are outliers. In Phoenix, Grand Avenue, a stretch of U.S. Route 60, is the most well-known diagonal street.
But Tucson gave birth to a whole new type of road. As Atlas Obscura noted recently, it started in the 1940s, with Cherrybell Stravenue — a portmanteau of "street" and "avenue." Cherrybell is only a half-mile long, but it runs diagonally, whereas most of Tucson's north-south roads are avenues and most of its east-west roads are streets.

The local Uniform Naming and Numbering Committee agreed that "Stravenue" was the best halfway point between the two designations. Soon, there were about 30 stravenues in Tucson.

Now you know.

IMG_20171103_132344913.jpg

Back
Top Bottom