What's new

Your Bike and an Interesting Sign

Why is literally a town named for an intersection. At the time of the town's founding, Arizona town names required, by law, three letters. The founders otherwise were going to name the town "Y." Really, that's Why. Population 167.

IMG_20200102_121502426.jpg

Last edited:
20220306_111812.jpg

A bit more mundane, but I'm guessing few outside the area know about Croom. When I was in high school it was a very popular off-road riding spot. It was basically an old mining area long ago and from the '60s to the mid-'70s it was a wide open off road place to go, no regulations and no management of any sort. 2600 acres, around 40 miles of trails, now state managed and all the usual rules - parking fees, daily and yearly permits required, helmets, strict riding hours, no alcohol, 96 Db noise limit, etc. We used to have keg parties on weekends, guys would ride by moonlight, trail riding at night by the headlight of your then-called enduro bike that you probably rode up the interstate from Tampa like I did many times on my SL350K1. It is literally right off the interstate exit and the dirt road to the main campground area runs parallel to the highway, it was funny to see guys blasting down the campsite road as fast or faster than the cars on the highway only a few hundred feet away.

This picture and Super 8 video were taken in the same spot a couple years apart in the first pit right inside the gate (which had a cattle crossing back then). In the video my father (not pictured, taking the video) and I both had new XL250s, my cousin had his first "dirt" bike (SL350K1) and my cousin visiting from Michigan did some filming as well. My Dad's '72 Chevy LUV pickup and bike trailer are in the video, I'm the hippie with the headband
g2Vg69p.jpg

Scary sign in the foreground, my bike in the background.

Attachments

• EC93888C-0C73-4239-961C-4FEA137F1A64.jpeg
    EC93888C-0C73-4239-961C-4FEA137F1A64.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 29
That spot at Rugby, North Dakota is about 225 + miles from my home base. I have driven by many times but never on a motorcycle. Nice photo.

Last edited:
Reactions: MVI
That spot at Rugby, North Dakota is about 225 + miles from my home base. I have driven by many times but never on a motorcycle. Nice photo.
It's a nondescript place! We were quiet the show with our Florida tags! We were looking for a place to camp, went about 60 miles n to peace park a joint park with border running down the middle. Beautiful place, highly recommended, no passport required.

Top Bottom Back Refresh