What's new

Your origins?

Feelin out of place here.
Every single photo in this thread was taken before I was born.. :lol3
Don't feel left out, enjoy that youth while you can. A few decades from now you'll be posting pics like this to others your current age! Trust me, I wish I could go back... but not with my aged body. And though it has nothing to do with my origins with bikes, it IS significant to my aged body... but with the stuff you guys ride today you'll be far better off when you get there.
circa 1971, ultra-heavy SL350K1 stripped down for strictly off-road
g2Vg69p.jpg

Don't feel left out, enjoy that youth while you can. A few decades from now you'll be posting pics like this to others your current age! Trust me, I wish I could go back... but not with my aged body. And though it has nothing to do with my origins with bikes, it IS significant to my aged body... but with the stuff you guys ride today you'll be far better off when you get there.
g2Vg69p.jpg
Born in 1990.
I got hooked off an ‘81 Suzuki GS650L in 2014 my brother found in a neighbours barn.
Spent close to 100 hours fixing it up, then rode it once and gave it to another friend. But I was hooked. And wanted a dualsport. Bought a WR250R in 2015 and never looked back. Ended up on proper dirtbikes in 2016 and been a certified addict since then.

Feelin out of place here.
Every single photo in this thread was taken before I was born.. :lol3
I’m used to it…. When you have to keep scrolling through the list of years to find the one in which you were born, and 1980 wasn’t 10 years ago… ya kinda get the message.

Pics from my early bike days are far and few between. Recently I digging around I found a few pics and scanned them.

About 1997 or so. We both still have the bikes, although the Sportster is in need of a rebuild these days. Sold the pick up to a friend last summer.

Dodge%20Norton%20Sportster%20%282%29-X3.jpg

g2Vg69p.jpg
Shit I should have posted this.

That's me on the back, roughly '74. Motorcycles were big in my family, and many of my uncles rode.

I don't remember shit from that age, but I do remember riding on this Guzzi, and I also remember riding wheelies with another uncle.

Nov 74- (10).JPG

First race. 1987ish.
1645034985302.png
Dude, your face looks like you came in 4th and missed the podium. Size of the trophy seems like you finished first. Looks like the trophy says '89. I used to build engines for the kids who were sponsored by one of the Honda shops I worked for in Tampa in the very early '70s. SL70s, XR75s, SL100s for flat track and motocross. So much fun watching your kid kick ass.

Dude, your face looks like you came in 4th and missed the podium. Size of the trophy seems like you finished first. Looks like the trophy says '89. I used to build engines for the kids who were sponsored by one of the Honda shops I worked for in Tampa in the very early '70s. SL70s, XR75s, SL100s for flat track and motocross. So much fun watching your kid kick ass.
Ah, you're right, That was '89. I got the bike in 87. There's probably an older photo of me on the bike floating around but not online at the moment. No idea what place I got. That information gets really hazy after nearly 40 years and 500ish races.

The first bike I ever bought with my own money was a Honda NC-50 Express around 1980 when I was a freshman in high school and living in Port Arkansas, Texas. It was the perfect little bike for running around our little island community.
My first “real” motorcycle was a Honda Nighthawk 750 in the 1990s.
Now days I’m usually seen cruising around on my Goldwing F6B or one of my Harleys.
66C47FB9-9F8B-407C-9FC1-2267AF3A10D3.jpeg
66BEF71E-2E42-4E5C-88EA-700BFE1B7D2E.jpeg

Haha good eye most folks mistake it for a Camaro. I actually miss that Vega, it was a fun car to drive. Not my car, but nearly identical.
9D33C54D-77D5-412E-A0EA-A8934B44D8B2.jpeg

I had that exact baby Camaro. Obvious and well known issues aside, it was a fun car. And I still like the way they look.

My first new bike was a Vega yellow 76 KE125. It often served as my only wheels at the end of the 70's. Mostly because either my Vega was broken or the 79 energy crisis made the F100 I bought next too expensive to drive.

Man, I wanted that DT in front of me. There was a yellow 78 DT125 next to the KE when I bought it. I lusted over that Yamaha. But I just couldn't swing the extra $200. Many regerts followed as the KE aged as badly as the Vega.

1979_zpss9vvj6ma.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom Back Refresh